Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Poor man's supercharger :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2000, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, that's awesome!! A leaf blower!!

Your right, the high-velocity air in the carburetor is what sucks the gas out, not the vacuum in the plenum, so increasing pressure shouldn't be a problem. Like I said, I'll probly just have to rejet it pretty big (160-165?).

Well, I got the fan the rest of the way assembled today. I'm waiting 'till my friend gets off work so I can build the 'manifold' and put it in the EX in his shop. It just had to be a rainy weekend, so I can't work outside .

I'm glad to see all the positive responses to my post, you guys really make me want to get this finished so I can tell ya how it turned out! I hope I'm not just wasting my time, but by my figures, this should have 2-3x the effect of removing the airbox lid + K&N filter.

Old 06-10-2000, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't checked this out yet, but the speed control connects to the radio reciever on the RC truck with a 3-wire connector... one for power, one for gnd, and probly one for a variable voltage signal from the reciever to tell the speed control what to do with the throttle. So all I need to do is run +12v to the potentiometer, put some size of resistor from the output of the pot. to gnd, and that gives me a variable voltage signal to feed the speed control. Then I'll just need to calibrate it so the speed control puts out 6-8v at max throttle and about half that at zero throttle.

Old 06-10-2000, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

I read this post. I got kinda bored so I went out to my garage and looked at my quad. I hooked up a computer fan to a switch then to my battery. I made sure that it works before closing up my airbox. I rode it around, it seems to have a little more power, but it is more than likely my mind thinking that I have more power. But it is kinda neat.

Old 06-10-2000, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Motorhead I love your idea! very original....maybe but anyways i was readin your article and got to thinkin my buddy has a KTM 400 and he told me that it has another cable thing runnin from his throttle and it advances the timing so thus adds more ponies and quicker revolutions he said. He said that it will make as many revolutions as a 2-stroke so around the what 10000 - 12000 range??? but anyways they sell these things for hot rods etc. called a uh thing doesnt have a name but is made by crane cams and it gives like 3 times more spark gap? if anyone has a HOT ROD subscription its page 94 on the July 2000 isusse but just wondering if that would work on a four wheeler or ATV what the big shots use....lol ... but just wonderin if like anyone has tried that or is going to...... let me know if it works or anyone has tried it

98 Recon wish it was faster

Old 06-10-2000, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, don't you hate how you 'think' it has more power, because you want it to, but sometimes it doesn't. Was the fan you used a normal 60mm (about 3.5" square) computer fan? Like I said, I don't think they flow enough to do MUCH good, that's why I went through all the trouble of the custom fan (although, this might not do me any good either, hehe). A normal computer fan consumes about .3 amps at 12v, while this one I made sucks down 25 amps at 12v. However, I won't run it that fast, it'd toast the charging system, I'll have to calibrate the speed control so that it only gets up to about 6-8v at full throttle (only 15 amps to run it at 6v, which is a 90watt draw while you have it full throttle, and less draw at less throttle). So you can see how I've probly scaled the airflow up a significant amount .

I plan to do some timed acceleration tests to check myself, to make sure that it IS making more power. I don't want to have all this junk in my air box that does no good but add weight

Old 06-10-2000, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure, but I think the CDI box advances the timing more as the RPMs go up. It's a necessity of combustion engines, because at high RPMs it has to spark earlier in order for the explosion to peak at the right time at higher RPMs.

The Crane ignition boxes your talking about do some cool stuff like cause it to spark multiple times per tach signal, instead of a single spark, and they usually give you a little stronger spark. This would all work on a quad also, but you'd need a wiring diagram for the CDI box to know where to hook it up, and I'm not sure how much improvement you'd get. Also there's the chance that you could toast the ignition coil on the ATV.. some coils can't handle as much spark as the box would ask of it.

Old 06-10-2000, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have seen this idea work before. My friend always sinks his Honda 300 4x4 in rivers and other water that is too deep for him to cross. Well, one day we decieded to put a snorkle on to try and solve this problem. We sealed the air box with silicone gasket maker. The problem was that the snorkle restricted to much airflow and the engine lost lots of power. We tired to turn the top of the snorkle forward to make it like a ram air system but the quad didn't go nearly fast enough to benifit from this. Then I had the idea of putting a fan in the end of the snorkle to get more air to the engine. I found a small fan that would fit in a 3'' round pvc pipe. It's not powerful enough to get much power but it brought the power back up and now it has more power than it did before we put the snorkle on it.

Old 06-10-2000, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Argh, a hangup!! I was checkin out the signal that the RC receiver sends to the speed control, and it's not simply a variable voltage signal like I had hoped... it's a pulse every 20ms, and each pulse varies in duration from 1-2ms from zero-full throttle on the controller.

So, either someone's gonna have to tell me how to build a pulse generator that does the above task with a variable voltage input, or I'm gonna have to use something else to control the speed of the fan.

Regardless, I'm still going to do my test run (with the fan hooked to an RC battery), to see if I should even bother with a throttling circuit. Who knows, maybe It'd work best with the fan at a constant speed, but I don't think it would. :\

Old 06-11-2000, 12:44 AM
Range Rover

Check out the Air Supply RC motor for planes that has a polymer magnet that draws less current yet revs high. I used to spank my friends asses when I installed this polymer magnet in my Checkpoint Gold motor when I was still racing RC here in the Philippines. Go Go Rocket Man !!!

Old 06-11-2000, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer

yes, im glad someone has finally tried to supercharge a quad. Since I put a turbo charger on a 85 toyota pickup ive always wanted to fingure out some way to get one to work on my Recon! yeah i know the Recon is not a big performance machine like the EX but i thought it would be cool anyway I hope it works!!!!!!!

98 TURBO Recon (i wish!)

Quick Reply: Poor man's supercharger :)