Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Poor man's supercharger :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2000, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RICH MANS SUPERCHARGER: A BANSHEE!

However i like your idea better! My question is this...How do you manage to stay so smart after riding a fourwheeler? I mean, the engine noise and constant crashing have killed at least 50, possibly 90 percent of my brain cells...maybe even more... You must be too smart to crash, or maybe your too busy running MICROSOFT or something of that matter.... Well, i suppose you and your "poor man's supercharger" will be running the world soon enough. LONG LIVE QUADS! (sorry, my lack of brain cells causes me to yell things out sometimes) Hey... how about you put a super powered fan to the exhuast, blow the air in, and then suck it out... or why not just strap on a jet? Well, i think your the man, can't wait to hear about the test run!
p.s. good luck with your lawsuit Bill Gates....

Old 06-15-2000, 02:34 AM
Trailblazer

Stator rewind, or replacement. Problem solved! I’m having my done to run a ton of aftermarket lights. It will be a bit more of an investment than you probably wanted. But if you can’t get the supercharger going you can add 200 watts worth of lights and other 12v gadgets. In regard to fan size why not mount a larger fan to the air box lid and plug off the stock inlet. You should already be using a K&N filter with the lid off so if you don’t get it going your not going to use the lid anyway. All in all it’s one hell of an idea.

P.S. Watch out for blowing your head gasket.

Old 06-15-2000, 03:35 AM
Range Rover

Here is my two cents. Very cool, however it's already been done. It's called a "stratocharger". It was originally designed by STC Racing as an electric supercharger, in a kit for the Honda "R" atv models. I have been trying to find the correct link to contact them but to no avail. You can see it for yourself at motodirectory.com, go under the heading "High Performance Products" you will see STC and their kit mentioned. You can also run a search engine on "stratocharger". If any of the atv hackers out there can find a valid link, by all means DO TELL!! ; ~ )

Old 06-15-2000, 05:53 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I thought about upgrading the charging system, but I don't know how big you can go, or how much it costs. Also, the bigger fan in the air box lid would probly work well, but since this was experimental, I didn't want to cut any holes until I was sure it was going to work.

Also, having the fan between the filter and the carb keeps all the dirt and junk out of the fan, and also minimizes the lag time between fan spin-up and pressure build up. However, one disadvantage is that if your fan flies apart, you'll end up sucking fan blades into the engine, hehe.

I suppose with a high-output charging system (at least 300 watts), a more powerful fan motor (the motor I used is one of the most conservative R/C motors you can get), and a more agressive fan blade, this could probably make a much more noticeable improvement. If anyone is interested, I could probly take some pictures of what I've put together, in case you want to do some experimenting of your own.

Old 06-15-2000, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont know it sounds kind of weird why dont you try to use what I did. Make the bike lighter remove your heavey exaust and replace with the yoshimura YRD race seies it looks sharp and sounds good but most of all it performs better than the fmf I also ghanged the rim and tire size loose weight feel great and your ex will fly trust me dont mess with your ex it is probally still under warranty it you mess up something it is yours to fix and the ex's are not cheap to fix

Old 06-15-2000, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Motorhead,

I live in lewiston. if you can get that thing to work ever give me a call. I'm the only kovach in the book. I'd love to see that.

Old 06-15-2000, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

I was also thinking about this motor head I guess great atv minds think alike but I was thinking about replacing the air box lid with a smalkl self contained fan like a small electric fan off a car I never found a fan this small but if U could U would still have the air filter to keep out the fan blades plus the added air to pull into the airbox what do U think about this idea

moded 86 trx250r
moded 87 qaudzilla
97 300ex
96 warrior
98 eddie baur expedition
94 full size blazer
96 z-71

Old 06-15-2000, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

To get a big difference here you will have to get an aftermarket pipe and possibly a rev limter if someone performed the same test as motorhead on a already modified EX I think the difference would be more. There is also a device that I have seen that is called a tornado that mounts between the breather and the carb on cars and trucks and it makes more horse power by just putting the air in a turbulance. This can be done it will just take alot of testing and time.

Old 06-16-2000, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, I thought of that too. A modified 400EX would probly benefit more than my stock one. I've still got the factory air cleaner, and I left the air-box lid on (it's a necessity for the kind of riding I do). I'd love to get this on a dyno so I could actually see the difference it makes, but there aren't any dynos (especially ATV dynos) anywhere near here. I'm halfway tempted to send the fan to that guy at the GT Thunder web page, since he's got all those dyno tests, he could try it out and I could see what it did.

There are two things I DON'T like about this mod. One is that, if the fan ever stops functioning, the carburetion would be so rich without the fan that the engine would probly barely run, leaving you stranded. The second thing is that these RC car motors are pretty high maintenance... you'd have to oil the bearings at least before every ride, and change the brushes very often also.

Old 06-16-2000, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

i am an RC Car freek myself. I own about 8 and know exactly what you are talking about. mabye if you got a cord hooked up to one of those old speed controls like the ones that came on the old RC10T's (Assotiated) you coued run the positive and negative wires from that strait to the motor. I think this would work because this speed control is kind of slow but it is mechanical, not electrical. If you figure out a way to use an electrical speed control you might want to use somthing like a Novak Atom or Cyclone, these only have two wires: positive and negative that both splice from the battery through the speed controler to the motor or somthing similar to what i just said. but anyways they are a lot less hassle.

Anyways dont give up!!! and if you get this crazy contraption to work be sure to post how you did it! I would like to try it myself!!!you might find me on the chat line as "RC".

Later!

Quick Reply: Poor man's supercharger :)