Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Anybody done the Rubicon TRAIL on your ATV? What's it like?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2000, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this talk and excitement about the new Honda
Rubicon, but what about the TRAIL itself? I am going to Lake Tahoe this summer and was thinking..
gee.. while I'm there.. But all the information I have found on the web pertains to jeeps. They take 3 days. How long does it take on a 4x4 ATV?
We ride 50-60 miles of rough mountain trails on a good day. Does everybody go the same direction?
It seems like everybody starts in Georgetown and ends in Tahoe, I guess near Emerald Bay.? Our friend has a nice TJ jeep, if we camp, he can carry our stuff, hehehe. How about those little ATV trailers? I am going to ask the Polaris guys too.
Thanks, Silly Later, Fourlix

SP500,EXP425,325Mag&500AC-For Sale(yeah I am one of those Polaris guys--and loving it!!)

Old 06-11-2000, 02:18 AM
Range Rover

I would strongly suggest that you do not take the "jeep" with you unless the operator has driven the Rubicon before. It is a rough "trail" that has considerable boulders, frame twisters and "sluice boxes". It is not a place for novices. I speak from experience. The trail beginning on the west slope is at Loon Lake dam. I understand that it is easier on the Lake Tahoe side, but I wouldn't know.... never made it that far. Do not fool yourself into thinking that being on a quad will make the trail EASY beacuse the only way to make it fast and easy is to take a helicopter.

There is some spectacular scenery on the trail. If you do go take plenty of water, some food and extra clothing, 1st aid kit, and make sure that you let someone know your travel plans so that if you are late (or missing), they know when and where to start looking.

By the way, did I mention that the trail is not very well marked? The best way to find it is to watch for oil spots on the rocks. Make sure that you have bullet proof skid plates on your quad, or you WILL BE pushing it out or hopeing someone will come along to tow you out.

Please let us know how your trip turns out.

Old 06-11-2000, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Can you start from the Tahoe side and just turn around after a while? The logistics of leaving a trailer at the Loon Lake trailhead, then getting back to it are a problem. How many miles long is the Rubicon Trail?
Guesstimating from the few maps I have found, it looks like it may be about 80 miles. I could see going 30 miles or so from the Tahoe side, then turning around and going back. Day tripping is so
much easier on ATV's, not having to take a full camp. Thanks, Silly Later, Fourlix

SP500,EXP425, 325Magnum, 2x4, guess this one better stay home?
Can a 2x4 with low range like the 325 Magnum make
it through the Rubicon Trail? It has always done well except for the loose stuff. The Rubicon seems to be solid rock and boulders.

Old 06-11-2000, 05:26 PM
Range Rover

The trail begins (at the Tahoe side) on McKinney-Wentworth Springs Road, which is south of Homewood and North of Meeks Bay. My son has ridden the trail beginning there and claims it is not too difficult, (He has roughly 2 years riding experience). The length of the trail is no where near 80 miles. I would expect that if it covers 30 miles I would be surprised. Most "Jeeps" travel a couple miles each day, taking 3 days to cover the trail. I know that ATV's are smaller and much more agile than any "jeep", but some of the boulders are the size of small houses... Also, remember that you will be riding above 6,000 feet of elevation and may want to re jet your carb for better performance.

You could bring a 2 wheel drive, if the person riding it has some patience and skill (nerves of steel would also be useful).

If you are looking for some good trail riding that may be better suited for ATV's, let the word out... There are a lot of people that know of good areas near Tahoe.

BEST OF LUCK, let us know how your trip turns out.

Old 06-11-2000, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Quadnut!! Great info, maybe we'll just see how far we get with our jeep friend from the Tahoe side. We live at 4300 ft. elevation and ride above 6,000 most of the time. I do feel the difference. I have not rejetted but all of our
autos have the light clutch weights which helps a lot. Would't EFI be nice for folks like us?
Silly Later, Fourlix

SP500, Exp425, Mag325, AutoCat 500 FOR SALE

Old 06-11-2000, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

SO Quadnut is the only guy on here who's done the Rubicon? Silly Later, Fourlix