Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why I'm purchasing a new '04 400EX:

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I'm purchasing a new '04 400EX:

So $4-500 keeps you away from a superior quad? After you add a $4-500 exhaust you will still not have the performance the Z400 offers. I have witnessed this first hand. I don't remember what parts and plastics costed me when I owned my previous 400ex, but do remember spark plugs cost about $10 and a dip stick is almost $20. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

turboguy i think you did a good job on deciding what you wanted and gary did you ever think that maybe he likes the 400ex better?? besides how many times are you gonna buy a dipstick

Old 10-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: iliveintn
turboguy i think you did a good job on deciding what you wanted and gary did you ever think that maybe he likes the 400ex better?? besides how many times are you gonna buy a dipstick
LOL...I agree with you on the dip stick thing...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Why does he like it better? Because it's a lesser machine or because it's cheaper?

Old 10-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

The thing that I have noticed friends of mine complaining about their Z's is that they have no low end grunt. I can climb more hills than all of my friends because I have that low end torque that is non-existant in the Z400.

Old 10-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Originally posted by: iliveintn
LOL...I agree with you on the dip stick thing...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Why does he like it better? Because it's a lesser machine or because it's cheaper?
Who care WHY he likes it better?? The fact that he thought it out and made the choice that suited him best should be good enough for us all.

Good choice there TG. I'm sure you'll love your EX .. I just found one today ( outta my price range) for $4800CDN .. a 2000 model with "too many extras to list". If I was in better financial standing at the moment I'd have it in a heartbeat.

Old 10-23-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
So $4-500 keeps you away from a superior quad? After you add a $4-500 exhaust you will still not have the performance the Z400 offers. I have witnessed this first hand. I don't remember what parts and plastics costed me when I owned my previous 400ex, but do remember spark plugs cost about $10 and a dip stick is almost $20. Good luck.
C'mon with the Z being so superior allready [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I am getting tired of relating how similar these machines really are. I think we all know the differences between the functions (cooling reverse etc) and maintenence/reliability (cant beat a Honda) and the performance diff (small. Z top end/EX bottom end) so why beat the dead horse again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

These machines are very compareable and even when modded out the performance difference isnt that much. We all know the advantages of reverse and liquid cooling but are they a requirement for a good running reliable machine??

I have some time on these quads and do like them both and they are fine machines for the average rider and will put a smile on their face (isnt this what is important anyhow) so lets give the guy credit for at least thinking out his decision rather than just buying what someone else likes or whatever is the newest thrill etc.

Just go ride and have fun!!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2003, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer

I am going to ride and have fun! I'd be doing that right now if it wasn't for the fact that it is 11:00pm and my neighbors are all trying to sleep!

Brought the (yellow) bike home and it is now safely in the garage.

One more thing: I can't say enough good things about the dealer I bought it from, Honda East Toledo. It's about a 90 minute drive from my home in the northern Detroit suburbs but was well worth taking the time to buy from them. No pressure, no hassle, 5 minutes to do the paperwork and I was done. No bogus shipping and assembly charges. A no hassles discounted price. Reasonable extended warranty pricing on Honda factory extended warranties. A normal F&I guy, too! It was simply the best motor vehicle buying experience that I've ever had.

It's kind of sad, but there is a Honda dealer about 5 blocks from my home yet I drove 90 minutes to purchase the bike. Why? The local dealer didn't seem to think I was a serious buyer and did very little to try win my business. I never could get them to commit to a solid price quote. Plus they add in all the bogus charges. Another Detroit area dealer quoted me $899 for a third party extended warranty! Even though these guys said they would match the Honda East price I didn't trust 'em after quoting me that much for a warranty. And that was for only three years!

I could have saved another couple of hundred dollars by going to Chicago Cycle Center but I just don't have the time to make a 5 hour drive each way.

Any of you looking and within range of Toledo should give Ed Cutcher a call: (419) 891-1230 or www.hondaeasttoledo.com . They also carry Yamaha, Suzuki, Bombarier, Kawasaki and Polaris lines. They advertise on ATV Trader Online and always have a ton of listings of just about everything they have in stock. Note: ATV Trader Online has the discounted pricing. I believe their own web site just lists the MSRP. Tell them you saw the ad on ATV Trader Online for the best deal.

Old 10-24-2003, 08:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Congrats! I would recommend insurance. One wreck and your investment could be worthless. Most home owners policies do not cover theft either.

Old 10-24-2003, 08:44 AM
Trailblazer

Insurance is already taken care of Gary!

Old 10-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

Turbo Guy,
I live in Royal Oak area and have the exact same quad, only mine is '03. Call me at 248-854-7970 and we can ride together sometime. I got some wicked places we can go. Nice sand pits and motorcross tracks. Get used to riding it though, these places can twist you up quick if you aren't careful and experienced.
Tom

Quick Reply: Why I'm purchasing a new '04 400EX: