Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman 450ES---Your Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003 | 05:30 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Foreman 450ES---Your Opinions Please

Hey Guys;
I have been looking for a good dependable ATV for a few weeks now,I just got rid of a big problem in the form of an 02 Arctic Cat 500,problems from day one!
I have been looking at the new Polaris 600 but at 700+ pounds that kind of turned me off and their reliability record is not that great. Than I went to my local Honda-Yamaha dealer and they had a new Grizz but at $6700 it is a little out of my range for a "toy".
Than I looked at the Foreman 450ES. No shift levers or controls to fool with no IRS to contend with just get on and go!!!
Can you folks tell me how good they are as far as for huntin, trail riding and maybe an occasional mud hole? I would like to put bigger tires on it if I purchase it, would 26" MudLites work O.K? The 7.7" ground clearance is the only thing that concerns me. At $5400 I think it might be just what I am looking for.
THANKS
Mike

Old 10-27-2003 | 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

Get the Foreman S instead of the ES . I've heard that sometimes in the winter the ES buttons freeze or short out . I wound know for sure if thats true because I have a Rancher 4x4 which I love and my brother has a Recon ES and this winter i'm going to see if the buttions really freeze or shorts out . There is nothing to go wrong if you get the S . Also don't go with Mud Lites . They wear real quick from what I heard . Get some ITP 589 in size 26x9-12 front and 26x12-12 in the rear and you'll be set . I'm getting the ITP 589 in that size on my Rancher but i'm adding a K&N Power Kit so I don't think you will have to worry about loseing power . I would be happy to answer any more of your questions . Post if you need anything else and do my best to help .
OutlawRancher

Old 10-27-2003 | 07:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The reason I went with a Foreman 450 is because they're supposed to be reliable. I didn't want a belt drive or anything too tall. I was used to driving my Recon around or under anything I came to. I have a couple friends with taller machines like Polaris and sometimes it's a pain if driving under obstacles. You have to stop and help them compress their shocks to make them short enough to fit under things like fallen trees. I liked that the Foreman sat a little lower. I also wanted it to be as simple as possible but with a selectable 2 to 4 wheel drive. That's why I bought the "S", besides I like to be able to shift down on hills. I've gone down some long steep hills without having to touch the brakes. I've never had a problem with the ground clearance. It has a small skid under the motor but you could always buy more protection. Larger tires would also help a little. I also like the 589's and after I wear the stock tires down that's what I plan to buy. (26's) There's only two things that bother me a little. One is a squeak that comes and goes in the front shock mount. The other is that the mud flaps in the front are a little long. Sometimes they scrape while driving over a log. I like it when a the mud guards aren't much lower than the frame. I've driven through deep mud but didn't need the 4 wheel drive. I have used the 4 wheel drive to back up steep hills to prevent spinning. It has decent power for hill climbs but is geared low. 1st is super low, 2nd is low, 3rd is the giddyup gear, 4th is kinda odd. 4th only feels good around the 25 to 30 mph range and then 5th takes me up to 52 mph. 30mph seems fast enough for where I ride.

Old 10-27-2003 | 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

My cusin has a 450ES and has 1,500 miles and hasn't had any problems.... my dad also has one and hasn't had
any problems..... They are good in mud holes and can get just bout anywhere
They are shaft so no problems

Yea belt drive tend to have problems in mud.. sliping and otha problems

Old 10-28-2003 | 12:25 AM
BSA
Pro Rider

Foreman all the way! I really like the ES. The thumb shifting is great and you get full floorboards...a safety feature.

Old 10-28-2003 | 10:48 AM
Trailblazer

I've been riding a Fourman 450 ES for a couple of years. It has over 1700 miles on it. No problems what so ever. When I turn the key and push the button it starts, every time. It is a very capable machine. Mine is still stock except for a rear rack with a drop basket so I can have a bit more storage space. I've only been stuck one time. That occured in a mud bog where the bike got high centered and all four wheels were just spinning in water. I got off and pushed the bike off to one side and it pulled right out. The lease I hunt on has lots of mud and water. I've had my bike through water that I probably shouldn't have gone through. I had waves going over the front rack. But, I got through and the bike was no worse off. Still going strong.

As for the ES shifting. I love it!! I will say one thing about it though. I have accidentaly shifted up or down a gear by not paying attention. That is the only bad thing I could say about it. It has been strong and reliable. I would not trade it for anything. I've been stranded by several other brands of bikes. But, never a Honda.

Old 10-28-2003 | 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

I've only had my 450 S for little over a month, and I only have about 150miles on it. It has been a joy to ride. I love the selectable 4wd option makes running through narrow winding trails a breeze. I plan on keepin this quad for many years due to a shortage on cash. But that's one reason I bought the Foreman, because I knew it will last as long as I will ever need it to and not require tons of $$ to keep it go'n. I chose not to get the ES for one I prefer to control the tranny with my foot and second I was afraid the ES might be an costly to repair someday.

Whichever you go with I'm sure this brute will do whatever you want and more.

Old 10-28-2003 | 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

My uncle has a 00' 450 ES and he just turned 20,000 km on it last weekend and still running strong.. He has had a few minor probs but nothing serious. If you seen the train he has covered in the 20,000km I am sure you would agree that it would probably equal 30,000km for the average rider. The only reason I run Polaris Sportsman's is the smooth ride, additional power, and clearance (really noticeable in snow). Foreman’s are great bikes, just reinforce your foot pegs because in rough terrain you will be standing on them allot!!

Old 10-28-2003 | 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

the 450es is a tough machine, i would call it a tank, i cant tell you of how many mailboxes trees and other fourwheelers ive ran into and my front bumper is flawless, i can pull just about anything even though the hitch weight is 850 like on all hondas, my machine has 3500 miles on it and starts everytime without any throttle. of any fourwheeler i would call it one of the best i like it more then my polaris.

Old 10-28-2003 | 06:25 PM
|
Trailblazer

Hey Guys;
Well you convinced me,I went today and picked up my 04 Foreman ES 450 in yellow,they also had a red one but the yellow is different everyone around here has red or green.
I appreciate all your help in my decision I am very glad to have purchased the Honda I also went with the 42 month warranty,better safe than sorry,especially when it only added $10 a month to my payment of $99 not bad I don't think!! I made sure that by adding bigger tires and other mods wouldn't void it the dealership said no problem.
After my 100 mile break in it will be getting 26" ITP MudLites[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
THANKS AGAIN
Mike & 'OL Yeller'

Quick Reply: Foreman 450ES---Your Opinions Please