Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Buying a new Honda on a credit card?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 09:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new Honda on a credit card?

Will most dealers allow you to do this without charging you a processing fee? The reason being is that I have a Bass Pro Shop Visa card and they give 2% cash reward on outdoor products. I pay it off every month, so that won't be an issue. Every little bit helps.

Old 11-02-2003, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

using your credit card for a atv shouldnt be a problem,but what's the interest rate?

Old 11-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

I pay it off every month, so that isn't an issue.

Old 11-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

All i have to say is that anything that you buy with cash will be cheaper than with a credit card. Think about this what if you buy a quad on credit card and you end up loosing your job. If you would have paid cash you would not have to worry about monthly payments and keep working the dealers down travel to multiple dealers and tell them the prices you got elsewhere and tell them you are paying in cash. You will learn how cheap it really is.

Old 11-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

I'm going to buy it at Abernathys, so the prices there are fixed. The reason I ask this is because they sell them so cheap to begin with. I'm going to call on Monday and ask. I was planning on paying cash, but say if you're going to buy a new Rincon for $5899 and they will accept the credit card you're basically paying $5781. It would be dumb not too use the credit card if you payoff your card in thirty days like I do. I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck. Some retailers charge you as much as 3% to use a card.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

if you pay it off what is the problem? get the quad and get the 2%back.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer

Bartlett, I'll try that and I'll take the check book in case.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

Sandman, might want to check the first post out again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The merchant cannot charge you more for using a credit card, doing so will cost then the ability to use credit cards and all the additional sales they make due to the cards. Several years ago some merchants tried to get around this by offering 'discounts for cash". However, this practice is just as illegal as charging more for a credit card usage, as it boils down to exactly the same thing.

I've bought my last two new quads with a credit card - One of those Visa gas cards that pays me a 1% return fee that I get when the credit card company sends me 'free' gas debit cards for my earned amount. The last two quads totaled about $9,000 - I got $90 in free gas. Using a credit card made no difference to the price - All our dealing was finished and the price established without the dealer even knowing what method of payment I would use, not that it would have made any difference.

A BIG WORD OF ADVICE TO ANYONE READING THIS POST: Like Wolveriner, I always pay my credit cards off in full each month. If you carry any kind of balance on your cards, then the 1% or 2% savings youget from using the card is more than offset by the interest charged to you by the credit card company. The ONLY way that you can save money by purchasing a quad on your credit card is if you already have 100% of the price of the quad in hand. Don't be tempted to buy the quad now in the hope of getting all the money in time to pay off the card - if you do not already have the money, then it's already too late to make this work.

Jaybee

Old 11-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And another thought - If you are ever in a store (be it ATV store or the grocery store) and they even try to add any kind of processing fee to your credit card purchase then do this: Turn your card over, pull out your cell phone, call the 800 number and start talking. You will find that the merchant will backtrack very quickly on any processing fee. Credit card companies are souless creatures - Just as they will not cater to someone who does not pay their CC bill, they will not work with a store that threatens the way that the credit cards work. Any fee that causes a credit card purchase to cost more than cash is cause for the credit card to drop its services from the store. I think the only exception to this is a small miminum purchase price for a cc charge. It may not be a likeable fact but most stores will not remain in business without credit card processing services.

Jaybee

Quick Reply: Buying a new Honda on a credit card?