Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I KILLED A HONDA (BIG RED)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I KILLED A HONDA (BIG RED)

Everybody always says: Can't kill a Big Red!

Well, I would have to prove that wrong. I bought a 85 Big Red 250 about 2 months ago, and I must have put about 557 miles on it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I was out riding it on a gravel road, about 15 miles and hour, and a big bang happened and it DIED

Brought it to the mechanic, when he opened it, he couldn't believe it: The valves blew off, so then the piston, rockers, camshaft, everything in the head blew up, he said he never saw anything like it before. Right now it's being rebuilt, the entire motor obviously.

Do you think that once it's finished being rebuilt, should i sell it or keep it. Do you think that anything else major could go wrong ie. transmission, rear end etc? Or should it now be good for another 20 years?

JasonJ

Old 11-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

i would never sell a 250r, and after a full rebuild, forget it. keep that thing in your family.

Old 11-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Keep the big red especially after the rebuild!

Old 11-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HONDAJAS
Do you think that anything else major could go wrong ie. transmission, rear end etc? Or should it now be good for another 20 years?JasonJ
I would put it in my will too be passed down too my family generations. After it finally died I would have it cast in bronze and placed on a concrete pad out in the front yard.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fartman
i would never sell a 250r, and after a full rebuild, forget it. keep that thing in your family.
I think he was talking about a 250 3 wheeler 4-stroke. Because a 250R is two stroke and two strokes dont have valves (only a reed valve) nor does it have a camshaft or rockers.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you blew up the 250 big red!! you can NEVER Hurt the 200m big red!! accually.. when i was at sandlake i had too much fun, blew one tire out, melted all the clutches, and burnt out the ignition *yay*

Old 11-04-2003, 05:50 PM
BSA
Pro Rider

Somebody has been over-reving the motor. That kind of damage does not just happen on it's own.

Old 11-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

the big red was probably born before you were. any thing will blow up if its not maintained and the big red was probably overdue for its heart transplant. hope you can salvage it.

Old 11-04-2003, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

After the mechanic opened it up, he said that there was hardly any oil going up into the head. The camshaft was probably blocked thus limited oil was going up. Another thing he said was that he's never seen a camshaft so worn out in his entire life, he said it was miracle that it was still running. Another thing is that I noticed that the motor itself was unbeleavably noisy: it was louder then the muffler, if I was driving beside somebody else, the guy on the other machine could hardly hear his machine, he only heard mine!

And yes, I did rev it up quit a bit, but only one afternoon in a pokerderby. I had mud half way up the tires, water to the seat, front end started floating, and the throttle was hammered in for about 2 hours straight, and then about another half hour later. So yes, that probably didn't help. The guy before me probably revved it real high because I've only had it for 2 months. We're gonna find another Big Red head so we don't have to buy a whole new head (800$ from Honda!) Can't wait to get it back!

Old 11-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Range Rover

Unbelieveable! I didn't think those things ever died. I sold mine last year when I got my quad and that ole Big Red was a smooth running machine.

Quick Reply: I KILLED A HONDA (BIG RED)