Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

whats the better choice? 2 cents, please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whats the better choice? 2 cents, please!

I own both. The Z is incramentally better than the EX. If you are riding only tight trails (like you will rarely get out of 3rd gear), I would pick the EX. It has better low end power and the engine will lug down (something the Z isn't fond of), plus the EX is priced cheaper. Otherwise get the Z.

Old 11-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: reconranger
I own both. The Z is incramentally better than the EX. If you are riding only tight trails (like you will rarely get out of 3rd gear), I would pick the EX. It has better low end power and the engine will lug down (something the Z isn't fond of), plus the EX is priced cheaper. Otherwise get the Z.
if that's the case, then the ex is going to be the better choice.... obviously there will be times when i am out of 3rd gear, but i think more often than not i will be riding trails.

Old 11-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

I would get the z400 if I was buying new and trail riding. The z is liquid cooled and has reverse.

Old 11-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WisconsinNugs
just wait until january to purchase the new trx450r
Did you actually read the original post or just felt like saying something? This guy is a beginner, the TRX450 would be great fun........until he killed himself. Besides, as far as reliability goes, it would probably be a load of fun on the trails, but that's only until something gets busted because it's built for performance, not longevity. On top of that, it would cost as much as about 2 or 3 400EX's and well over a Z.

Old 11-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

redgoblin yes i did read the post, i was just thinking buy the trx450r you won't be a rookie for ever. you don't need to ride nuts out right away. thats what the throttle does makes you go faster or slower and last i checked the operator controlled that by your standards what should he start with, a honda spree

Old 11-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey RedGoblin... I just noticed your signature... that is a good one!

Old 11-16-2003, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Thanks! So true though. Can't say it's original, saw it one day on a t-shirt.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey man, I don't know if my 2 cents are worth anything, but I have a 400EX and other than not having reverse, I have no regrets about it whatsoever. One of the big reasons I didn't go with the Z400 was because of the frame problems I read about. I think someone else had mentioned that earlier. And the other was the proven reliability of the 400EX. Apparently the Z400's have a problem with the frames cracking. I read an article about it compared to the 400EX and although it does out perform the EX in most categories, they were still concerned about the frame cracking. I guess if your not going to be doing a lot of jumping and stuff, you may be alright, but I wasn't willing to gamble on that. And as for reliability, they stated it was still too early to tell about the Z400's and the EX had been proven although its engine was outdated and Honda should drop the price if they weren't going to change it... I can't recall which magazine it was but it was just a month ago when I read it...Like I said, I love my 400EX and it has all the power I need...Granted it has an FMF pipe and produces a little more power but not too much. Unless your racing, you can't go wrong with the EX....I"m sure some will disagree with me but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I just gave mine.....

Old 11-17-2003, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

I dont know this from personal experience but from what i see and hear the z-400/kfz400/dvx400 will provide more punch on the trails than an outdated 400ex. or if you want the yfz or trx might be a decent choice but they have no reverse should you get stuck... i still say get a Z or DVX... i think kfx looks the ugliest of the three.

Old 11-17-2003, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

oh also, if you still dont believe me i think the z400 is so good that bombardier and kawie just had to copy its specifications. i dont see a 400ex copy... and the ex's lack of reverse will get on your nerves out on the trails

Quick Reply: whats the better choice? 2 cents, please!