Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

whats the better choice? 2 cents, please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the better choice? 2 cents, please!

i am posting in the honda forum because as of now i am leaning towards the honda, but...
what do you guys think would be the better choice?? a 400ex, or z/kfx/dvx400? i don't see myself riding anything but trails, and although this will be the first quad that i will own, i have gone riding a few times before. i am certainly not an expert, but i think that i would be willing to sacrifice an easy learning experience in exchange for having a better quad in the end. so, i guess all i am asking is which would you reccomend for someone who is still learning and wants a nice, reliable quad. oh yeah, i plan on winter riding, and eventually jumping. thanks!!
if it makes any difference, i am 5'8 and 145lbs

Old 11-14-2003, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Boy did you just open a can of worms...
I say the most important difference between them is the dealers...who has the best dealer in yoiur town

Old 11-14-2003, 09:27 PM
Range Rover

I have rode both and would have to tell you to get the Z400/KFX400 etc... and I'm a honda fan. I'm not saying the 400EX is bad but the others are more desirable machines. Also the 400EX has no reverse. However the 400EX has been around longer and has proven to be reliable. They are all good trail bikes though and you shouldn't be dissapointed with any of them. You can however pick up a used 400Ex pretty cheap now days. What it all comes down to is if You are a honda fan and have to have a honda get the 400EX but if you want the better bike get one of the others.

Old 11-14-2003, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

i will be buying new,so finding a good used one isn't an issue. and it's good to hear that i opened a can of worms... hopefully that means i will get a ton of responses! :-) so both machines are basically equal in reliability? what about aftermarket/replacement parts? thank you again!

Old 11-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can of worms maybe but also a no brainer - 400ex is a great bike but the Z is better no question about it.

Jaybee

Old 11-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

If price isn't an issue I would still say the Z400. I know for sure the hondas are stone reliable. I have never heard of anything negative about the others. I did hear that some of the earlier Z400's had weak axles but thats been corrected. It's off the subject but I have a Warrior and I think it's more reliable that the Z. My buddy has the Z and we both rolled them in the same mudhole, laying side by side and the Z had a hard time starting back up. I don't go too fast and like my Warrior for trails better than the Z400 or 400Ex because the Warrior doesn't wheelie as easy and feels more stable going up hills. Don't get me wrong though I'm DEFINITLY NOT suggesting a Warrior over any of the 400cc machines though. I will keep responding since I'm just sitting here waiting to see if anyone responds to my post. I am the original owner of my 84 ATC200 and this is the first problem ever I have had with it (the one in my post). And it wasn't babied either. Worn out at least 4 sets of back tires. Your original Question What's the better choice??? My answer Z400, KFX400 etc...

Old 11-15-2003, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

ok, so the z is better in every way, performance wise? or just some areas? how expensive are the parts for it once i start jumping and stuff, compared to the honda? and i don't really care if it has reverse or not... i don't think that i would really use it enough for me to decide based on that. thanks for your continued support!

Old 11-16-2003, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

???

Old 11-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

just wait until january to purchase the new trx450r

Old 11-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

The parts for the z400 are two to three times the price of the 400EX. Go to partsfish.com and look at the prices of parts for both quads. Also the top end of the 400EX is boreable the Z400 you have to buy a new jug or resleeve. Here is something easy, Kfx rear fender $328.87. 400EX rear fender $88.50. All the parts are the same way. The 400EX parts are alot lower. That is why the 400EX is better. Also we have around 15 to 20 broken frames around here on the Z400 and its clones and they still have not fixed the frame problem. Knowning Suzuki they never will.

Quick Reply: whats the better choice? 2 cents, please!