Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ATC 250R VS. 400 Ex Would win?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 07:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATC 250R VS. 400 Ex Would win?

Oh and by the way 38 hp WAS the exact rating for the 250r, do your research little guy as you probably weren't old enough to ride a ticycle when they were out!

Old 11-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

38hp at the crank may very well have been a number that was given to you or maybe you read it somewhere in your research, no doubt. But I think we all know, including you markdb420, that they do not put out that much hp at the tires, crank, or anywhere else that you can think of in stock trim. If you do think this, fine with me. As far as personal experience goes, I have witnessed a few things that most would consider unbelievable. Such as my 250R; if your stories are true then I am sure that you are questioning how mine is so slow. I have seen a specific 400ex that from the day my buddy got it, it was amazing. It was one of those where everyone says, "Your lying, that has to be a 440." And then when it became a 440, everyone was still amazed at how fast it was. I mentioned that when mine was an ATC, I could beat nearly anything up a very steap, very tall sand dune. It is true, I even beat two banshees, one with just the commons- p-n-p, pipes, and filter; but the other one was a larger bore (I think like a 402 or something) with as much as 34mm carbs in which I beat repetedly- I'm talking like 15 times!. So I have witnessed some wildly crazy things. But that is just it, they were crazy- therefor I don't base my experience off of them.

You see, the hill was so steep that my front tire was literally off the sand and floating just above it nearly the entire time. Since it was so step, the weight made a huge difference. Now to bring it even more to light, the big bore Shee blew a cylinder shortly after we stopped racing so there was obviously something wrong with it. Now the other one was in top notch condition and we swaped wins back and forth, But the hill gave me such an advantage it made it almost unfair.

It would be stupid, complete exaggeration, and down right wrong of me to go around telling people that my 250R can beat big bore banshee's. But because of my experiences, I'm also not so quick to call someone a liar or an idiot when they tell a far fetched story, because I know what I have seen and done as well and I know that there are multiple situations and conditions that may vary. Heck, just a couple of months back I beat my friend with the awesome 440ex on my 250R that will probably peak out around 68mph. But then he re-jetted and put me to death.

JP

Old 11-20-2003, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

good point boog...

IMO they're restricted in different ways, and doing the same mods
to either of them have different effects.

Old 11-20-2003, 03:56 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they're both slow stock.

where are the torque specs? power curves? gearing? the fatazz riding the atv/c? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] i dont ride a 250R trike to be the fastest, i just like the seat of the pants ride.

Old 11-20-2003, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Ok guys this is a no brainer...the 250R no question is faster at least 6 bikes I had both and would say a 250R with a half shot plug will still plaster a 400ex, this shouldn't even be a question...lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2003, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

exactly.. 400ex's arnt great drag racers. 400ex with pipes filters jetting and god knows what else only dose 6.3 at my track (tied down, paddles) My 250R with just a pipe, shaved head, filter, and jetting goes 5.4 - 5.5 (if you dont beleave me look at my pictures) thats one big diffrence.

Old 11-20-2003, 05:31 PM
DRV
Weekend Warrior

It depends on the rider, but I would take my 400ex [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Has anyone heard of mcguirepowersports.com? They sell cheap newer atv's, mainly Honda and I was wondering if they're reputable?

Old 11-20-2003, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

Boogerbub

Yes you make very good points and yes maybe I base it too much on my experience. I know of several 400exs with pipes and jet kit that are slower accelerating and top speed than my 400ex. This happens even when the bikes are ridden by the other rider. It is strange that there is that much disparity in the speeds and and power. I know that my current R makes 38+ hp and I can better drag race on it than my 400ex, but when racing around the little BS track that I have on my land, I'd rather be on the 400, it is just that simple! The 400 handles far better and of course is far more stable.

Well, I can see that others have had different experiences of their own. I know that in my experience that the 400ex is good low end quickness and very bad in the top speed side. I would prefer the 2 stoke power in a 250r 4 wheeler, but they are so expensive for a 14-17 year old 4 wheeler. I know a guy with a basically stock 250r 4wheeler and he beats my 400ex with either he or I driving his trx250r. So stock for stock I'd say the trx250r was and is a better, quicker machine.

Hey all yall get whatever floats your boat, just take everything that anyone tells you with a grain of salt, because none of us might know what we are talking about!

Old 11-20-2003, 08:07 PM
Range Rover

markdb420 you should throttle back a little. I'm not a punk kid. Ask yourself how many bikes you have to compare your experience to where you are and I'll tell you there are about 100,000 to 200,000 bikes at
glamis everytime I go. And as for horsepower numbers I don't know what a stock 250r puts out at the crank but I know that it puts out about 25hp at the rear wheels in stock trim and a banshee puts out about 32hp at the rear wheels in stock trim if you pipe them the difference in hp gets even greater with the banshee on top that is a fact on a dynojet dyno I repeat a fact not my opinion.

Old 11-20-2003, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

Well, old guy over the years maybe 4-5,000 different ATVs in my direct viewing at the beach, in Carova, NC. This is all over 20-22 years of my riding and such. Thank goodness their aren't as many people here as in CA. That would be a drag! Come on over to 3wheelerworld or 3wheeler.org and talk and ask the experts over there about the HP of the ATC, tecate and others, you will get the straight answers there!

See there is another that has been around them awhile as well, and has seen any and everything imaginable of an ATV! So I just called as I see it, from my perspective, and what I have seen! If you don't like what I say, Oh Well!

Quick Reply: ATC 250R VS. 400 Ex Would win?