Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What's a Starter Clutch?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a Starter Clutch?????

Hi!
I have an ATC 200 electric start model and the starter turns but it doesn't turn the engine over. In my Clymer Manual it says it's a defective starter clutch. But what's that and where do I find it since I pretty much read the whole manual and cannot find it anywhere except that one sentence in troubleshooting. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-17-2003, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

Not entirly sure what they mean.
But some starters are pre engaged most are not and rely on a solenoid to fire the starter bendix (gear) into a gear on the fly wheel.
so usuly if a starter spins and does not turn the engine it is the solenoid that has failed.

Pre engaged starters leave the bendix engaged and yours must use some form of clutch to get the drive to the bendix.
seems unlikly that an engine this small and fast reving would have this system but im not a bike mechanic, i work on industrial stuff.
You should pull the starter out and have a look to see if there is room on the shaft for the bendix to travel . If there is take it to your local auto electric shop they can test it and should be able to fix it fairly cheaply.

Also if the gear teeth are chewed up it will stop it engaging but you would hear it ripping (loud crunching noise)

hope this helps

Old 12-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

Hi!
It was making a loud clunking noise in the bottom end. I thought it was the gears too, but I torn it down and that's not the problem. One day I went to start it and the starter just turned and not the engine, so I pulled out the pull start and it wouldn't work, but after I used the pull start the electric start would turn the motor over (not start just make a loud clunking noise). I am going to check the solenoid.