Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

i need a smoother landing

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need a smoother landing

Suspension is the key to keep your quad from rattling apart form doing jumps. Works shock will make a world of difference. Sure, Elkas would be nice, but unless you're prepapred to spend $1400 on a pair of fronts, and a rear, go with Works. You simply don't need the Elkas for everyday riding and small jumps. The Works will cost you about $330 for fronts, and about $525 for a rear. If your rear is rebuildable, you could even send it to one of many shops that will rebuild/revalve it for your weight for around $320.

I had Works on my 400EX, and the difference from stock was amazing. I then got a very sweet deal on some Elka fronts, so I bought them. You could tell a little difference between the Works and the Elkas, but I was very satisfied with the Works. I just ordered new Elkas all around for my V Force this morning. I can't wait to try them out on that quad.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Here's the deal, they way the suspension is set up for utes to to handle bumps and also to handle weight. Not for the whole weight of the quad and yourself to come down all at once off a jump. If you look how your quad is set up you dont see things like a sport quad like dual a-arms and a swing arm on the rear. The way that those are set up is so that the quad can withstand coming down off jumps. the a-arms travel out and up and the rear swing arm travels back and up. With a ute the tires just go straight up and the only thing it goes against is the shock itself it has no other engineering to help it dampen jumps. Its the same as how my old honda trials bike just doesnt handle big jumps because it has no rear swing arm like new motorcross bikes do. It just bottoms out, and that is with the stongest shocks I could ever find for it. We are not trying to knock you or anything its just a engineering thing that I honestly know of no way around, only thing to do is get a quad that can jump. I have been in your shoes and I just had to wait until I finally could afford to buy my own quad. And believe me I know how bad that sucks cause I had to wait until I was 20 which I am now to finally get a decent ride. There is just one main thing when I was jumping stuff that wasnt made to be jumped it was an old POS Honda trails bike that someone gave me that I worked on forever just to ride it, and it didnt matter if i trashed it.....I wasnt trashing my parents nice ute quad. Just keep it in mind. I just think everyone else is trying to tell you the same because they know there is just no way to get around the problem your having.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Quadfather
Suspension is the key to keep your quad from rattling apart form doing jumps. Works shock will make a world of difference. Sure, Elkas would be nice, but unless you're prepapred to spend $1400 on a pair of fronts, and a rear, go with Works. You simply don't need the Elkas for everyday riding and small jumps. The Works will cost you about $330 for fronts, and about $525 for a rear. If your rear is rebuildable, you could even send it to one of many shops that will rebuild/revalve it for your weight for around $320.

I had Works on my 400EX, and the difference from stock was amazing. I then got a very sweet deal on some Elka fronts, so I bought them. You could tell a little difference between the Works and the Elkas, but I was very satisfied with the Works. I just ordered new Elkas all around for my V Force this morning. I can't wait to try them out on that quad.
Elkas will not work. Get it? I’ve said it three times. They don’t make any for my quad. And as far as works, there are no options for my quad. and uh hey rldbobcat, no afence but uh my quads got 4 a-arms with 2 on each side. and maybe it’s just me but I could swear there’s a swing arm on there. and when I watch the suspension I believe it goes up and out. idk. but really is the suspension on that chart for my quad, the rancher, adjustable and if so in what ways? just a little info people. It’s my decision and u gotta respect that. Ill take all your input into the end factor and I do appreciate it.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Range Rover

Young man.... You need some serious thinking about your future. Do not kill yourself. 16 is a tender young age.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry if it was a little unclear, just that with your quad you don't have near the suspension travel as a sport. So when you jump it and come down the shocks compress all the way until there is no more give, then its just like riding a brick. I just dont know of a stiff enough shock to do what you need it to. And esp dont know since elka and works are out of the question. I hope you can find something that will work for you. Good luck man.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Rancherat400
Young man.... You need some serious thinking about your future. Do not kill yourself. 16 is a tender young age.
lmfao, thats the best way to die. whats wrong with that. dont take life so serriously. gotta have fun with it.
and rldbobcat a brick, yes and its not fun when your a$$ hits that brick at like 6 g's. but yes, elka is out of the question but works sure is hell isnt. dude check out that link i attached earlier and if u look under honda youll find the rancher. but there arent much options for my quad, thats what my threads have been about. i would greatly appreciate it if someone would answer them.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

snowbuster, you don't seem to be getting the gist of the posts here. You aren't going to be able to get what you want for your Rancher, because nobody makes them!. Not too many Rancher owners want to jump there quads. You have too much weight, not enough ground clearance, and not enough suspension travel.
And there is no way you are going to get these. So, find someone willing to trade your Rancher for their
sports quad and quit trying to break your neck.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

OMFG. works makes shocks for my quad. and I MUST keep the damn rancher. GET IT POEPLE. im sorry i almost lost it there. and too much weight? BS. elka makes suspension for bigbore quads, i guess mine is too small for them. but works makes them its on that link i attached earlier. anybody following me? anybody? i do plan to get the damn shocks. i just want to know what i will be able to adjust on them. go to the chart and take a look cuzz i only could say so much. acually here it is again, u might have to zoom in but im sure u all could handle that.lol

Old 01-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

anybody?

Old 01-23-2004, 01:34 AM
Range Rover

Kid,
Don't waste your money. Get a job work your butt off and buy a sport with your own money. The shocks on your quad will be a big improvement on the trails but not what you’re looking for (air travel).

OR

Sit down and think for a bit. Collect all the facts about getting a sport quad and sit your folks down. Things like, what yours will sell for, what new/used sports cost and how you will pay the difference. Explain to them that you made a mistake in buying a utility quad and are willing to do what it takes to correct it. Talk to them like an adult and make a good case for yourself. You will be surprised what your folks will do when you act responsibly. If you have to make a deal do it but you BETTER FOLLOW THROUGH WITH IT! Don't make empty promises. Show em your growing up and they might let you do it. If they say no, keep cool and say thanks for listening and try again in a few weeks. Don't get mad and DO NOT NAG! Good luck.

Quick Reply: i need a smoother landing