Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Will a Rubicon owner step up to the plate? battle of egos here

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2000, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to challenge a Rubicon owner to a little competition to clear up the controversy regarding what is the most capable ATV.

Fun Wheeler Park will be a great place to do it. We can compete in the following races, one on one and report back to this forum the results.

1) Sand Drag (side by side)

2) Barrel Race (Just like in a Rodeo) Shows ability to make sharp turns and accelerate)

3) Dirt track Race (Has jumps and sharp Turns)

4) Mud Race (Around the perimeter of Mary's Mudhole.

Both ATVs could be timed in all of these races and the times reported back here. We could also make a run through the trails together and report who has to be pulled out the most. Since most Polaris riders don't question Honda reliability, Don't reply back about how 5 years from now your Honda will be dust free in your garage looking like new. This is a test of capability.

My guess is that it is easier to talk about the new King of the 4X4 than it will be to dethrone the SP500. Prove me wrong. I beleive the phrase is put up or shut up. This challenge goes for any of the other big bore owners that havn't been schooled by a SP500.

I f you would like to do it at your location, that is fine too. Fun Wheeler just has nice facilities to do the timed events.

If you're scared, say your scared.

Greg

Old 06-30-2000, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

I would do it but I have to wash my hair.

RubiconLuvr4X4poopinmypantsscared

Old 06-30-2000, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

What mods do you have on SP500? Are you going to race stock vs stock? The Rubicon hasn't been out there that long to have any mods, except for some tires.

I guess it REALLY eats you that the SP500 may be, note I said MAY BE dethroned, by the Rubicon or Traxter, now doesn't it?

When the magazines do a shoot out they will take stock machines & do the comparison, then we will have to see who wins.

Anybody wan't to place a bet?

Old 06-30-2000, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since rider skill may play at least some role in the contests you propose, Gregsims, I doubt anyone will answer your challenge; as you suspect, they are likely all "scared" to ride against your expertise.

However, if anyone DOES respond, this will be the first time in recoreded history any two ATVers ever met face-to-face (or wheel-to-wheel) to "settle" any disagreement raised on the Forum.

Gordon Banks once offered $ 1000, betting he could outride a guy on the rocks, Gordon astride a King Quad; the adversary chickened out.

Perhaps if you offer a cash prize of some nominal amount, you may attract a challenger.

Please keep us informed!

Tree Farmer

P.S. Hey, MaxRules/MAX6x6! You gettin' this? Where are you when we need you, man!

T.F.

Old 06-30-2000, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

The only mods to my bike are tires. I will make my bike stock for the competition. The Mud race is the only part that my tires would help.

The magazines are biased because of advertising dollars. This would be a real comparison. I know rider skill will have some effect also, but that will always be a varible.

This isn't just a competition to put down one bike or the other, it will be informative to let potential buyers know each bikes strenghts. I think the Rubicon will probably will the drag. I don't know about handling so I can't say anything about the barrel race or sport bike track. I think the SP500 will win the mud race with ease.

Lets quit talking about it and making excuses and get it on so people know which bikes really perform. I would like to run a Traxter also. We hear alot of talk about them. Lets see what they have got.

Greg

Old 06-30-2000, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I am paying for my new SP500 and havn't sold my 98SP500 yet so I couldn't afford to wager much. The idea is not to win money from an opponent, but to put the results on the forums for all to see. You can't argue facts. If the SP loses, it just loses. We could even run each event 5 times and put the average time on the board. That way if one atv got a good jump or a good line it would not be degraded for the mistake of a driver.

I am not the most skilled rider either. I lost to the other SP500s in the last race by about 1/2 lap in a two lap race. That is disgraceful. Also that was the first time I ever raced in Mary's mudhole.

Greg

Old 06-30-2000, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

If you are willing to drive to eastern louisiana for that challenge, i will definitely take you up on it with my grizz. i will even pay for your gas and put you up for the night and feed you. can't beat that. do i think that the grizz stock can beat the sp stock in a mud race? no. do i think I can beat YOU in a mud race? definitely. do i think i can spank your little bottom blue in all events? definitely. if you want to make a weekend out of it we can hold the 4x4 olympics and come up with 10, 12 maybe even 14 different events. the more spanking i get to do the better. shoot, bring your friends and anybody else that wants to compete. let me know

bayougrizz

Old 06-30-2000, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Greg,
Don't feel bad about Mary's Mudhole... I have been thru that thing atleast 100 times and for some unknown reason, drove my Magnum right into the one freakin hole that could stop me... And I KNEW it was there...
I want to add, that if ANY rider/machine wants to do this, we have a BRAND new digital camera that take perfect pics so myself and my g/f will be there to record the results. (as an unbiased spectator of course!!)
Although... After seeing my times on my Magnum 500 at the barrel races, i'd go so far as to say that if ANY utility machine runs faster, you would have to be in banshee/400ex territory...
Maybe we should catch Joe out there at FWp and get him to bring out a Rubicon for some demos..
I talked to Arron at Z-Team, But they didn't seem to interested in bringing out a Traxter to show everybody it could mud. I don't think we will see too many of them around here unless the dealership demos some out to PROVE them to be competitive machines. At 720 lbs. BEFORE MODS.. and no tank to "hug to" to lean your bike side to side... its gonna be tough to do..

Old 06-30-2000, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From your post, I gather defending the honor of Polaris is important to you.

Rider skill appears too important a variable to me for any conclusions, even on the limited competitive courses available at the off-road park.

Thus, since you wish to honor the better machine, not the rider, switching riders alternately would normalize and factor out skill differences. In fact, the greater the pool of riders, the greater the validity of the data.

Perhaps this Polaris vs. Rubicon comparison could be an event at the next off-road park convocation. No fair "sandbaggin," now!

By the way, I suggested money to attract participation, that is, to make it worth the competitors' while.

You stand on the threshold of a potential historic first, a real-world meeting to "settle" a Forum-raised question.

Tree Farmer

Old 06-30-2000, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Personally I think theirs someone out there that will beat you greg. but you have to take the time to look!!

Quick Reply: Will a Rubicon owner step up to the plate? battle of egos here