Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450R Owners Only Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450R Owners Only Please!

Just got mine Friday..........haven't road it yet,to damn cold........winter takes to long!!!

Maybe next week I'll see what she's got.

Old 02-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

Once you get a pipe, pulling the tall first gear should not be a problem. I was able to speak with Tim Farr about the gearing and he told me that the front sprocket was fine but he was going to try 2- teeth bigger in the rear. I am going to run 18-inch rear tires and plan on going one up in the rear sprocket.

Old 02-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: FaStLaNe
This is not a question for people who have just ridden the 450R, it is for owners only.

I have done a search, but there were no DIRECT answers to this question, at least not from multiple people. How bad is the tall 1st gear? Learning2Fly exchanged his for a 13-tooth CRF450 one, how is it, too powerful on the low end now??

Basically, I wanna know if it is tolerable for TRAIL riding, and if not, is the 13-tooth a good idea, or should I go with one bigger tooth on back?
One tooth down in front is roughly equal to 3 more teeth on the rear sprocket. It was just easier and cheaper for me to change the front.

I rode trails about 4 hours today. The improvement was amazing. First gear is still taller than a 400ex. The only problem I had today was climbing a hill with some pretty tall rocks. I killed it three times and then said fff it and just hit the trail hard and went over it two times with ease. It is going to take some getting used to. Everything else was a breeze.

The sprocket change was like getting a totally new bike though. I can't believe the difference. The power hit is hard and starts the very second you bump the throttle. Now it feels like the quad should have when I bought it. It is friggin amazing. Here is some info that I posted on another link about the speed. Hope this helps.

>>>>>from another post>>>>>>>

I'll try to answer your question as best as possible. I believe the answer is yes, but I didn't have enough room to open it up all the way today. The place where we ride (Appalachia Bay-By Keystone Lake) has some open beaches when the water is down, unfortunately the water was up and the best run I could get was maybe a 100 or 125 yard stretch of sand. And then I had to shut it down in a big way or take a dive in the lake. I had the GPS with me and I got it up to 58.5 mph in the short stretch. I'm still getting used to the power so I think I could have shifted better. I could barely get it into 5th at that distance, mostly high 4th. I'd like to think it will still do 70mph up with a little more room, it was still pulling hard when I shut it down.

Here's how the gears went after the sprocket change.

1st - Fairly long- but revs much faster with new sprocket.
2nd- BLIP (fast)
3rd- BLIP (fast)
4th- A little longer than 2nd and 3rd combined- But not real long.
5th- Barely got in to it.

With the sprocket change and HRC kit, the 450R accelerates like a bat out of hell. My buddy on his slightly modded 400ex (open airbox, fmf, jetted) would start 10 bike lengths ahead and I could take him in the 100 yards with ease. We switched and I got a rolling start on his 400ex in first, hitting second as I passed by him and a dead stop. Even in deep sand, with me on the wet flat beach sand he would take me in the 100 yards. Back on my quad again, In the 100 yard drag starting side by side, it was like he was standing still. I can't tell you the number of bike lengths I beat him by, it was huge.

I'm not talking crap on the 400ex or any other quad, just trying to give you guys an idea of how the 450R accelerates now. In that same 100 yards, my buddies 400ex normally gets taken by a stock raptor by maybe 3-4 quad lengths. I'll let you guys do the math.