Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Prime example of why you should never let someone borrow your quad!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2000, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also let a girl ride my 3 wheeler the same one that was wrecked later, she dumped it and it rolled down a hill end over end about 6 times! boy what a 17 year old guy will let happen for a cute butt and a smile. she wasnt hurt.

Old 07-07-2000, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

ohh yeah... back in the day i also had a go-cart that my frind flipped and totalled.. but i got him back when i rolled his 300ex and broke the plastic.. o well stuff happens... and the sad part is it happens at the worst time.. that's life for ya.
later

Old 07-07-2000, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

I let my 13 year old cousin-in-law ride my Recon in an open dirt field. He finds the only hill in the place, rides too close to the edge, and slides down the hill to ram head on into a pipe sticking out of the ground. The front rack bent all the way to the frame and broke my plastic in the front. The only butt to sit on that seat from now on is mine b/c his mom wouldn't pay the damage. Live and Learn.
Mine '98 Recon (soon to be modded)
His '00 400ex

Old 07-08-2000, 06:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutly NOBODY rides any of my quads without me being on another quad right beside them.I train any potential newcomers in my back yard about saftey first,than the quad ride comes later.I've just seen to many idiots get hurt on their first ride.It's not just the quad damage that can occure from a accident to a unsuspecting rider,its the poor riders safety and our ATVing sport that gets hurt to.Think about it?=====Bill

Old 07-08-2000, 07:13 PM
Range Rover

Fortunately I have not had an experience like that with my quads. Snowmobiles, on the other hand, are a different story.

Two winters ago my brother and I were dialing in our new MXZ ski-doos for the upcoming drags. Mine was pretty well set but we were having a heck of a time with his. The thing had a ton of power and kept trying to pull the front end up. I tried various adjustments but to no avail. A friend showed up (another racer) and asked how we were doing upon which we told him of the difficulties that we were having. "Try it" I said, "but don't crack it open because it is unstable. Just try to get a feel for the weight transfer". As he is walking towards the sled I stopped him again and said "I am serious. This thing is wild so be careful".

Well you can see it coming. He pulled up to the line and then nailed it to the bars. The sled shot out, up, and over onto the top. He was bruised a bit but the sled was a different story. Broken hood, bent pipe, broken windshield, bent handle bars, broken grill work, etc. All this on a sled that had less than 50 miles on it.

Now the moral. When you lend a piece of equipment to someone you are taking a big risk. Whether they are experienced or not is irrelevant. The risk is still there. No one is going to treat your equipment like you do. This guy was a seasoned racer. He just didn't have the skill that he thought he had.

I do feel for you. I am one of those guys who washes his quad top to bottom after every ride and I can imagine how I would feel if I was in your shoes. For what it is worth, I would have insisted that he pay for the repairs. Not to be mean mind you, but rather to teach him a valuable lesson.

Just my $.02 worth.

Temp

Foreman ES
Rancher Es

Old 07-08-2000, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

mine was'nt that bad but my brother had a friend that wanted to ride so my brother said ok i always give all riders a leson on how to ride it and ride on the back I know it is not good to ride on the back but i think it is the safest way going slow butt i never let some one other other than me or my brother ride some one i was working and just came home and my brother siad he thought they stalled it so i went down they were walking up the hill (him and his girl friend) first i thought my stupud brother let some one new ride some one on the back he rode a quad befour my brother said i could care less if he was a prow racer if i never saw him drive he will not take some one for a ride he siad he stoped on a hill and when he started out he fliped and he could not start it so i though it was fine i went down and the back plastic had a big break in the left side (it did not have a hrab bar since it just broke) be four that we had a go kart and dad let some girl of his friends ride it she (she it not good at that stuff at all) and i said that i can take her for a ride dad say's let her drive it i can't realy say no you can't to dad since he helped me and my brother build it and she count get hurt to ez it was so low but any way she takes off (it had a lawn mower throddle that you use wour hand to push and you have to pull it back to stop) all the way down she go's around the yard and back to us flying at full speed around 25 mph right to the steps i thought she was going to kill her self but she turned a little and hit the hill bent the bumper a little we did'nt care as long as she was ok that was the first one. the next one was a person that was good at rideing stuff like that and i siad that he could ride it i gave him all the talk about how to ride it he was fine rode around the yard on the mojave in first gear he stoped one time and let out the cluch the best i ever saw some one that rode it the first time do (they ushaly stall it) he came over to stop it at the shed and did not pull the cluch he putt his foot down i thought he was going to break his ankle boom he hit the shed and every thing was ok. Sorry for the bad spelling

Old 07-09-2000, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

If the parts come to around $1000.00 Call Service Honda at 1-800-828-5498 They sell parts at 30% off retail. Alot of shops charge 10 to 15 % above retail. I have a 250R they are not replaceable that is why no one rides mine.

Old 07-09-2000, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

The spelling can be forgiven, But, you've GOT TO put some periods in this thing! My God ! That's exhausting ! I'm sure it's a good story, but it would be easier to understand if it were broken into at least 4 sentences. WOW.

Old 07-09-2000, 03:52 AM
Range Rover

Just a quick update on my Foreman. I picked it up from the dealer today. I was suprised that they got the parts in and the repairs done so quick.
I had them replace the headlight and the brake handle. I ordered a new front rack, handle bar plastic and new mud guards ( all of the grey plastic trim was scratched beyond recognition ), I replaced them myself this afternoon. I was a little dissapointed because some of the mud guards ( The piece behind the foot peg ) have been discountinued in the original smoke grey color. My choices were to either leave the old ones in place, replace all plastic trim with black or to have a mixture of black and grey. I opted to use the black mud guard/foot rest plastic. This was the least expensive of the three options, hopefully it won't look too bad. I kind of regret not ordering a new rear rack and having the kids parents foot the bill for it. I thought I could straighten out the kinks but it's worse than I thought and I already received money from them and now I hate to ask for anything more. Oh well, maybe later on if I come across a few extra bucks I'll replace it.

Old 07-09-2000, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Somewhere there's an english teacher crying right now as she reads that post.

Haha, sorry, I usually try not to poke fun, but that's gotta be the longest run-on sentence I've ever read. Still, there's some good info in there if you insert your own period here and there.

Quick Reply: Prime example of why you should never let someone borrow your quad!