Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Prime example of why you should never let someone borrow your quad!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2000, 08:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try to make this short. I was at a family reunion this weekend and I let a 16 year old relative ride my Foreman 400, BIG MISTAKE! I know some people use and abuse their machines but I have babied mine from day one, it was in like new condition with hardly even a scratch.

Needless to say, this kid takes off on what was supposed to be a nice evening ride on an improved dirt road. Some time during the ride he decides to show off for a little 16 year old girl and he thinks it would be cool to climb the only hill for miles while standing on the seat and he managed to flip the machine over backwards on top of himself and the machine rolled several times. He came out with a sore shoulder and a gash on his head but the old Honda didn't fair so well, both racks are trashed, handlebars are bent, brake levers bent, headlight smashed, gun rack smashed, plastic scratched beyond belief. I dropped the machine off at the dealer and they estimated the damage at about $1000.00. The kids parents are supposed to be paying for the damage but I feel a little responsible because I was the one who agreed to let him ride it, so I decided to only have the headlight, front rack, brake levers and the worst of the plastic replaced. Hopefully I can get the rear rack somewhat straight and I guess I can live with scratched plastic. Live and learn, I guess.

Old 07-06-2000, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

AHWWWW dude thats sick

Old 07-06-2000, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

Well, sucks to be you man. I know you sound like a dick when you tell your friends they can't ride your machine, but sometimes it pays to be a dick.

Old 07-06-2000, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

I know where you're coming from man. I always get dirty looks from my wife when I watch our boys like a hawk while they use the 450es to do their chores. It just seems that no one looks after your things as well as you do. Boys will be boys though. I've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

Old 07-06-2000, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Did the kid know how to ride one or was it one of those kids where you have to give the 2 min. lesson on how to ride?
I get those people all the time at my house...I had to give that 2 min. lesson to all my friends and cousins before they ride and they still don't know how to operate the quad properly.

And the stupid thing that you did was let him ride out of your sight.(big NO NO!) I did that and my cousin came back with the quad broken just like you.
I guess you learned your lesson.

To me the accident sounded about 50% your fault and 50% the kids fault.

Old 07-06-2000, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

A friend had a band new BigBear with less than 30 miles on it. During this past years deer season his brother asked to ride it from camp in Northern Pa. This guy has been around bikes all of his life so his brother said ok. He ended up rolling it down a mountain. It rolled and rolled and rolled for over 300 feet. It ended up costing $3100. The brother who wrecked it payed the bill in cash! Lucky he had the money. He felt worse than the one who owned the quad. Now he won't ride or drive anything that is not his. When I bought my new one, he told me that I would be crazy not to buy insurance. I insured mine for $240/yr. Friends are paying alot less for insurance. Buy it, it will be worth the money for these high dollar toys!

Old 07-06-2000, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Foreman 4X4, you share an unfortunate incident everyone can learn from, thanks. Of course you feel bad, your precious ATV is damaged.

How bad would you feel if your 16-year-old relative had killed himself? You don't say whether he wore protective gear (helmet) or whether he had any training or familiarity with ATV riding.

Not to say he might not have behaved recklessly anyway (kids do it all the time in automobiles on the highway). Adults must do all they can to give kids the opportunity to ride responsibly and survive.

Be thankful; the kid will heal and your quad can be fixed or replaced. Fixing your quad is nothing compared to the potential tragedy you faced.

Tree Farmer

Old 07-06-2000, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you guys think that is bad listen to this
OK
Well My friend Dan Has a 97 Recon and he leaves it at his cousin Brents house( His cousin Brent is very responsible and rides a 87 TRX250R)
anyway there are also a few other people that leave there Quad/Dirtbikes there
such as his cousin Darrin and his cousin Craig one snowy afternoon his cousin criag that usally rides a super fast CR250 decides to take the old recon for a rip without premission from anyone
he is going through a trail and comes apon a tree he is going very fast of course ( you know what they say ride it like you stole it and that was basically what he was doing) he jams on the brakes but the recon won't stop because he finds himself on ice and Boom crash he flys off and the recon is killed
the dumb *** was ok (I wish he would have broken some bones)
The recon has tons of damage
front rack/bumper destoyed
Front rims Right/Left Bent
Frame Bent
Rear rack managed to get bent to
and every peace of plastic seiously scratched or broken
and
he won't give them a new frame and he owns a very expensive bike that he shouldn't have

I hate his he is such a ****
Give your opinions on this
whos fault was this

Old 07-06-2000, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bones heal it would be good to teach him a lesson

Old 07-07-2000, 02:01 AM
Trailblazer

Foreman 4x4,
I think the kid that took your fourwheeler should pay for everything. I have a cousin that has broke many things on my little old LT160 and won't pay for anything. Then he put his spider traks and rims on my 300ex well I ended up putting a hole in them. His dad got pissed he just ordered another one from the worst place. Dennis Kirk (man for being such a big company you would think they could have bettter prices) and I had to pay for it I was pissed well he doesn't ride me $h*t any more.

Quick Reply: Prime example of why you should never let someone borrow your quad!