Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX450R-What I learned today

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 01:07 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRX450R-What I learned today

When you start the engine cold, nurse it for a minute using the CHOKE only (not the throtle) to adjust the idle. If you stall it during warmup, even if the engine is only a little bit warm, USE THE HOT START BUTTON and stay off the throtle. It will start in one of two kicks. Hot starts are a piece of cake with the hot start button.

I did some fast trail riding this afternoon. These are wider trails, where you can take advantage of the bikes tall gearing. This has to be THE FINEST TRAIL BIKE THERE HAS EVER BEEN! What a blast!! The tall gearing and revy engine, would however not be the hot setup for a tight technical trail ride.

I got caught in a very big rain storm (flash flood big!). Coming home, there was water 4 or 5" deep in the streets, and I was riding at a pretty good pace. My heart sank when I remembered that with the HRC kit, I had a pretty much wide open airbox! I expected the airbox to be full of water, and was worried that the intake would suck water. Got home, and the airbox had only a few drops in it. Boy was I pleasently surprised!

Old 02-21-2004, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. what a great post! I don't own one of these machines, but if I did, i'd definitely thank you. This is what I like to see.

Old 02-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

I went riding on Thursday on some trails to break it in. The trails had some big puddles and I went through them fast and slow and either way I had no water in the airbox. I guess Honda did their homework on the HRC airbox lid, it works great at keeping water out. The only time I had a problem with the gearing was at very very slow speed. Other wise it was great and very fast.

Old 02-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I was wondering how you guys like your 450r I know all the people who have been arguing about which one is better but my friend wants to get either the yfz or 450r but he doesn't ride mx a lot and he basically just rides trails so before he goes out and buys a yfz he wants to know how the 450r does in trails.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

ohh yea and have you had to do any valve adjustments because people are saying they have to be adjusted after the first 10 hours of riding on the 450r?

Old 02-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Red Rider

I always change my oil at 2 hrs., then again at 10 hrs. And, do a valve adjustment after about 10 hrs. Cheap insurance!!

Like I said, the TRX is a great bike for fast (more open) trails. But, it is geared tall, so it isn't going to be a great bike for tight technical trails, without some gearing changes.

I trail rode a friends YFZ, and found it sprung way to stiff for the trail. Plus, the powerband isn't well suited for trail rides. It doesn't have much low end, then it hits hard in the middle. It's no technical trail bike either.

The Z400 would be a better choice for the average trail rider.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger

My heart sank when I remembered that with the HRC kit, I had a pretty much wide open airbox! I expected the airbox to be full of water, and was worried that the intake would suck water. Got home, and the airbox had only a few drops in it. Boy was I pleasently surprised!
Does the air box have a little dirt catch thing at the bottom that can be removed and dumped? The Raptors have a small pastic one, I just took it all the way off so whatever sand, dirt, water that gets into the air box goes out the hole in the bottom. Just a thought.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

dude if your worried about water in the air box when you dont have a lid on it take off the plug in the bottom i had mine off on my 400ex for 3 years and never had any problems, and i will take it out when it put that kit in my R

Old 02-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Red Rider

Hey, this was a freak downpour that I got caught in. I was sliding down huge hills sideways with all my brakes locked up, trying to get home before I got caught in a flash flood. So, stopping to pull the drain plug off the airbox was the last thing that i was thinking of. Would have been a good idea though!

Old 02-22-2004, 01:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It was a thought for future use. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: TRX450R-What I learned today