Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealerships

Buy at "Whatevernameyouwant " Honda, we offer excellent service at 50.00 per hour for non warranty work and you pay 1000.00 more for the ATV of your choice.

Does this work for you??

If it doesn't and you buy somewhere else, we put your ATv last in line at every opportunity for service.

Remember......we care about customers

Old 03-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dealerships

Let me explain further.....I'm not intentionally pointing fingers at anyone. I'm not angry with any dealers. In fact, I was at Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio on Monday and was treated with respect, dignity, and professionalism. The best dealer experience in any shopping for cycles/cars/ATV's I've ever had. I showed the prices from abernathy's and he met them, with no crying. After he met them, in all fairness, I informed him that abernathy's charges about 123.00 extra to finance through honda and that since he matched the prices, I'd gladly pay him the same. I'm also going to purchase a winch and a plow setup with my rancher ES or foreman ES (havent made the decision as of yet). I'm not as stuck on price on accessories, so close is good enough on them. As far as I'm concerned this is a righteous dealer....he met a great price, he gave great service, I am pleased to this point. I'm buying an ATV from him next week. I am open minded about the dealer things. This guy had 35+ ATV's for display and testing. He had that many and more dirt bikes and that many more street bikes. They sell everything except harleys and Bombardier. I test rode 5 ATV's. I was impressed, not with the ATV's or the price, but the service from the salesperson was excellent. I DID get my excellent price though :-). If I seem bitter sometimes, it is because this is my first purchase of a new ATV. All I wanted to do was buy something reliable to plow snow and light work/hunting. Instead, I got jacked around by dealers trying to sell me Ranchers for 5500.00, Polaris 500's for 7000.00 and Yamaha 450 & Suzuki 400 for 6000.00. I got disgruntled just thinking about paying 6000.00 for a new 4 wheeler - no way to afford that and the winch and plow for 500.00 each. I've actually had written quotes for 6000.00 + for a rancher ES and winch, with another 400.00 for the plow = 6400.00 out the door. OUCH!!!! I probably would not feel this way had those dealers proposed a reasonable deal. They probably would have sold to me. I have been repeatedly ignored in shop after shop while fingering 7000.00 + machines while the salespeople stood in their doorway gabbing. I have been to a total of 7 shops looking for the right place to buy....it gets frustrating. The prices fluctuate so much, it's almost impossible to tell what they are......with a ton of hidden fees. That is why a place like Abernathy's is so appealing.....they answer questions politely, they reccommend ATv's and sound convincing , they answered my price questions immediately.....without using a calculator to add all the junk fees into it. I know they have to make a living, but they need to be competative.

Old 03-05-2004, 11:41 PM
The Facility
Default Dealerships

In response to your first post of this thread,

This is alot more common than you may think, even when such an issue doesn't appear to be one. It happens everywhere. I am a member of a "20-Club", whih if you don't know much about it, it is basically a lub of 20 dealers within a certain region who hold "meetings" twice a year regarding the industry and the business as a whole. We share ideas based on display reactions and where the industry is headed.

This happens at ALL dealers. Some strictly abide by the unwritten "code of dealer misconduct", some only pertake in it based on a certain customer category[street vs offroad], and some do it without fully realizing it.....or want to know that it happens.

This industry is a business where not all get rich, but all get by without doing things that they don't feel is morally right.

Most dealers look at it this way. You may be a customer of everyone,.....but only a true customer to one.

If you think our industry has some quirks, check out the automotive industry......LOL

Old 03-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer
Default Dealerships

Knowsalot,
It would seem to me that my experience with the larger mega dealerships in my area were much better than the small mom and pop type cycle and atv shops. The three larger shops I went tp check out were the three best. If I would have made a prediction prior to this adventure, I would have predicted the exact opposite. I would have thought the "little man" would have been the best salesman. My experience bodes well for the larger dealerships, and not for the small family owned shops. I'm probably typical of the newer ave of ATV buyers. I have shopped around extensively for price and for customer service, although in reality I'm judging an entire dealership on one salesman....or lack thereof, lol!!! I'm 35 years old,dress nicely, and I would think a likely buyer in the eyes of a sales person. I just cant see a future for places that charge top dollar and act like I'm bothering them when I'm there. I now know to ask the sales person right away if they make a commission as well. Oddly, most did not. Their knowledge of products and prices/inventory and customer service reflected their "don't care if you buy" attitude. They rarely knew the price of their products, even when they only sold one brand and had 5 ATV's on the sales floor!!!! It is truly pathetic!!! It was almost like "there they are, there's the price....whatever" . In contrast, sales people that made commission answered every question like it was the jeopardy championship round, they knew all the prices, leftovers, deal, financing, etc. I much prefer them to the former. I suppose that if I had a superior experience at a small time dealership, I would have grudgingly paid a "little" more for the ATV I plan to buy. It would have been nice to find someone who made an offer like " you know, we can't match that price, we dont make enough money off that. We can get close-300 or so, and we will throw in the first service free and a T-shirt." I would have bit if they salesman would have stroked me just a little.

Old 03-06-2004, 12:14 AM
The Facility
Default Dealerships

There are a few shops like the "mom & pop" shops you described so I know what you mean. Those around here have similar attitudes. Most of these stores have few people to pay and have been in business long enough that moeny isn't an issue. Most of these shops don't even have their bikes and quads on a flooring plan. They buy them from Honda or whoever at a lower price up front. This way, they have a little investment, but nothing they have to sell immediately and nothing they have to pay interest on every month.

As for the salesman making commision. Most dealerships don't do this. They pay an hourly wage. Reason being that Honda, Suzuki, etc send checks to the dealer's salesmen every month based on units sold the previous month. An average check for one quad is roughly $150.00!! Yamaha uses a different approach. They give all salesmen a card. Kind of works like a credit card. Yamaha puts the saleman's commision onto this card each month. The salesman can use the card as cash value for only 1/2 of the money ammount on the card...or for the full ammount towards the purchase of a Yamaha ATV or Motorcycle.

At our store, we pay the salesman an hourly wage plus $25.00 per unit regardless of the unit's price. Doesn't sound like much, but these guys live good after receiving their cheks from the OEMs each month...LOL

At any rate, glad to see you found someone that you are comfortable dealing with. That's the main thing.

Old 03-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer
Default Dealerships

ok ok you don't want to be mean to the dealers, i understand. i have nothing against the dealers either because i understand they are out to make a buck like everyone else and they have to do what they have to do to make it. PLEASE NONE OF YOU SHOP OWNERS REPLY TO ME. this is just the expieriance i had at my local dealer. first off i spent a day going from dealer to dealer and private party sales with a friend that had recently bought a new 03 honda racher manual shift for $4800 out the door no extras. i almost bought a 02 arctic cat from a guy with plow for $4500 but it wouldn't start (it was about -20 that day) no big deal i thought. the arctic cat deal ate crap when the guy told me (after i made a deal) that he didn't have the title and would be using the money i gave him to pay it off. fine and great but that is illegal here in maine to sell something that has a lean on it without out getting approval of the leanholder. so i went to another dealer on my own the next day, $4500 in my pocket. it's all i had. we did find the day before a rancher for the same as my friend had bought and he was rubbing me raw about not buying it. the dealer i went to didn't have crap for four wheelers and i will say they're name. TRISPORTS in TOPSHAM maine. they did have a 2002 kawi prairie for $4900++++. i got them to sell it to me for $4500 out the door which was a great deal, right??? only 650 miles and a winch??? test drove it, it was great. got it home it wouldn't start in the cold weather. took it out to my tree stand where i had ridden doubles with my friend numerous times with no trouble on his RANCHER MY KEYBOARD IS SCREWING UP I"LL FINISH IN A SECOND GOTTA RESTART

Old 03-06-2004, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default Dealerships

ok back again. i took back the kawi. they didn't want it back. they offered to fix it for free. it cost me $50 for them to deliver it and $50 more to take it back. they told me these are great bikes you'll have no problems. i said it broke in 20 minutes and i brought a sheet of paper with the laws of maine saying i could demand a refund. they said i couldn't. i told them a lawyer down the road said i could. i said all i wanted was to take the money i had bought the kawi with it transfer it to a new rancher es. they said no no no till the owner of the store came in heard about the lawyer and said no problem. up to this point i was a little frustrated but not mad at all at the dealer. i found the 4x4 i wanted they told me i had TOO MUCH MONEY DOWN the banks won't finance a couple hundred. so i got a plow and a 3 year warranty. that was good they smiled. then they tried giving me 4000 for the kawi and 5500 for the rancher on the paperwork. i said no wait this is bull. to make a long story short i argued with them for over 4 hours and still got a screwed. i got $4300 for the kawi cause of paperwork fees??? paid 5250 for a rancher 2004 es. paid about 400 for the plow no winch just manual handle plus installation. and $375 for the warranty which i'll probably never use or i'll be told it is not covered. i love my fourwheeler honda is great machine, had no problems, and there are good dealers out there but there is just to much room for screwing people. why can't the lowest price be listed on hondas website so everyone across the country knows what it should be. competitive pricing has turned into HOW MUCH CAN I FUC$ YOU FOR. I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH DEALERS AT ALL SCREW ME SCREW YOU!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 03-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dealerships

how does that rancher push the 50" blade through snow? I have been thinking about getting a rancher ES 4x4, but I'm also testing a foremen 4x4 ES the day of purchase so I can make a final decision. The guy at Andrews was so good, he told me to call the day prior to my purchase so he could be sure to have both ATV's in yellow put together for me to ride before I decide which one to buy. Then I take that one home :-) I am only doing hunting and snow plowing at this point. I'm a novice ATV rider at best, but I am concernexd the rancher may not have enough AZZ to haul my 225 plus push snow or haul deer.....even the tiny deer I usually get, lol. Let me know. Pete

Old 03-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Range Rover
Default Dealerships

I have the rancher At I am 325, and I have a 48 inch cycle country blade setup. I could push snow very well with this unit. I did not need to even put it into 4 wheel drive unless it was icy underneath, or the snow I was pushing was over 14" deep. I pushed 53 miles of snow here in Nebraska since December, and it did not miss a lick.

Never a need for snow chains on the Rancher AT. It is a workhorse and I highly recommend this unit.

Old 03-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Range Rover
Default Dealerships

I also have never heard of a dealer charging 123.00 for financing. That is pocket money for the dealer or a salesmans commission. Honda does not charge for financing and neither do most car dealers. That sounds like a hidden charge to me. The dealer also gets money back from Honda for writing up the sales contract.

I have the manual lift on my snow plow and highly recommend it. It is easy and faster to use than the electric or winch. Why weigh down an ATV with more steel. I could manuever very quickly and lift the blade to the height I wanted while drive forward and reverse. I also will be leveling my dirt in my yard with this blade. Winch way to slow. If you are not careful with the winch you can bend your push tubes, and even snap the cable of the winch.

The manual lift is so effortless and the ease of use is wonderful. Kudos to the inventor of this system.

I was emailed by another buyer, his dealer wanted a 40 dollar file fee, just to set up a folder on him, they wanted 65.00 setup fee, destination charge was added on for 105. But get this the price of the ATV was about 200 less than what I paid.

The dealers bring you in the shop with those low end looking prices, you sit down, you are excited about your new purchase, and then they say, oh by the way we have a 123.00 financing fee, a 40 file fee, 105 destination fee, and 65.00 setup fee.

Bottom line is I want the OTD cost on a unit. I still believe Those dealers that show 4900.00 price, is not an out the door price. NO WAY.

Quick Reply: Dealerships