Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Can my 400ex beat a Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can my 400ex beat a Banshee

Sandrider503-My wifes 440 has a 11:1 piston,cam,k&n,fmf power bomb header with a fmf q pipe,white brothers cdi,big gun rectifier,lonestar 4" over swingarm,works triple rate shocks with reservoirs and she runs 10 paddle haulers.We are still running the stock carb because it is performing very well so for now we will stay with it.Properly jetting your ex or any motor is one of the biggest factors in getting maximum power and you will probably find that yours will require some experimenting to get the most out of it but it is worth the effort.We have just about run out of tweak room on this set up so next year we may "freshen" up the motor just a bit with some more goodies.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

We are running the stock Pilot and a 165 main. We called WhiteBrothers to see what they thought being the parts are all matched parts from them and that is the setup they gave us. I haven't seen any problems with it yet and we are pretty much at sealevel out were I'am at so I shouldn't have any problems hows is that Weisco setup Does your 440ex have any problems overheating. I rant the stock headpipe and took it to LRD and had them ceramic coat it. I wanted too run the stock pipe for better compression and a even powerband it seemed to work great the bottom end is just bada$$. There is no hesitation any were on this motor wich is nice and something I'am gonna have to get used too. Before you could tell when the power band kicked in there was a slight hesitation but now it just there its kinda hard to explain. What cam did you guys go with on the 440ex. I'am running a all around cam from WhiteBrothers. What is the BigGun rectifier. I do thing i need to lengthin my swingarm this thing likes to pull the front end up. How much did it runn you for the swing arm and what do you think of wheel spacers.

Old 03-14-2004, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

Sandrider503-We have not had any problems with overheating with our 440 and it has been ran hard at times.The cam we are running is a honda cam which is a midrange cam for power delivery.The rectifier is (supposed) to add more spark and lighten the electrical load by cutting the charge to the battery when it is not necessary and also the claim is that it makes for a faster spin of the flywheel at the same time but we will see.As far as the swingarm is concerned we went with a lonestar 4" over in chrome which cost about 700.00 so it is expensive but it makes a big difference for extreme climbing and drag racing.I would stay away from wheel spacers if you do any jumping at all because they will put quite a load on your hubs and wheels which could result in some costly repairs.Your main jet size seems to be about right and the stock pilot is what we use with good results so you are probably not far off on your jetting and in fact may be just right.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Have you thought of lightening your flywheel it really helps on the power delivery.

Old 03-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Sandrider503-We got a chance today to try out the new big gun rectifier for the wifes 440 ex and it made a noticeable difference in acceleration and overall power.I am pretty skeptical about claims for most power adding bolt ons but this thing made a difference.I have a 686 raptor that is pretty fast for a mild build and with the addition of this rectifier combined with switching to the big gun cdi from the white brothers my wife was able to stay within 1 quad length or less from me on comp at florence today.I would recommend the big gun rectifier as a worthwhile bolt on for a performance gain and it seems to work best when combined with the big gun cdi.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

I have the WhiteBrothers CDI and my 400ex doesn't like to start with it in when the quad is cold. Is the rectifer pretty much the same thing as the timing advancement key. When I get my toy hauler out of the shop we are gonna have to meet up and you can show me around Florence.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

sandrider, lightening the flywheel doesn't necessarily give you more power. it will definately let u rev much quicker, which is good for drag racing, and it would explain ur comment about wheeling in 3rd without tryin to. also, i have a question about a mod i'm waitin to put on my 400EX. curtis sparks makes an ignition advance key, it advances the ignition timing 6 degrees and is supposed to give an x-tra 2 hp. it only cost 20 bucks, and came with a tool to remove the flywheel. how come i never hear anybody mention this mod? i've read lots of posts about the cheapest way to get the most hp, and this seems to be it, but nobody ever mentions it. do ne of u know ne thing about it?

Old 03-15-2004, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Sandrider503-I am not sure if the effects of the rectifier are similar to what the degree key does but the rectifier does make the wifes 440 rev quicker than it did before.Your problem with the white brothers cdi is a common one and we have been dealing with it our self so the switch to the big gun cdi not only helped performance wise but it also made the 440 easier to start in cold weather.I have been using the big gun to start the 440 and then putting the white brothers back in to ride with.

Old 03-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Pro Rider

My son's CPI piped, clamp on K&N's, Pro Wedges, properly jetted Banshee gives my 465 all that it can handle on flat sand drags and is very close to my Baja Stage II. For a stock Banshee it is very fast. He would have smoked my old 440.

JMiller

Old 03-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Hey CroBiker I haven't heard very many good things about the degree key. I heard if not done right can really mess up your quad the timing can be very sensetive on a quad and can cause some major faliure. I personnaly didn't get it it makes your quad work alot harder which can cause heating problems along with many others. Power to cash ratio it looks great but for the long term though you will be taking severe time off your motor. That is just my opinion do a little more investigating before you purchase. Hope this is helpful.

Quick Reply: Can my 400ex beat a Banshee