Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Can my 400ex beat a Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can my 400ex beat a Banshee

I have a 03 400ex that I just had lots of parts installed on. I was just curious if I could beat a Banshee in a drag race or at least keep up with one. My 400 is fast It's powerband seems to be through all RPM ranges which sounds weird but man taking some weight off your Flywheel and bumping your compression up and a good cam can really do wonders. I didn't bore my quad. So it is a stock bore but I did make sure the parts have been ran together before I set the whole thing up through WhiteBrothers. This thing is fast but I will be the first to tell you I'am a novice rider and have never rode a Banshee but my quad revs like a two stroke and thre is no hesitation in the powerband. I just wanted too know what the majority thought. Thanks

Old 03-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

I think you would need a well built 440 to beat the banshee in a drag, if the banshee has the basic bolt on mods I dont think a 440 would be able to keep up.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

i dont know can it,j/k i dont it wou be very tough you get well built 416 or 440 and u should though

Old 03-11-2004, 01:01 AM
Range Rover

You should be able to keep up with a stock one. I can't even beat my buddies Banshee and it's stock and ready for a rebuild. I usually loose by 3 quad lengths in 300 ft but, it's all good. I also have a pretty decent 416 take a look at the sig. It all really depends on the person riding the Banshee. If they aren't good at keeping the rpm's up then you should be able to possibly take a stock one through 4th or maybe even till you reach full speed in 5th on the dirt. Then your gonna see a Banshee go screaming past you with another gear to go. If they can ride the Banshee then you might have them for the first gear or two till they get traction then it's all over. Stock you can keep up with one. Modified, you might get them outta the hole, then when they get hooked up your gonna get beat down.

As for a built 440, stock Banshee it might get, but a piped Banshee, not happening. At least not that I have seen.

I have never ridden in the dunes but, I hear that Banshee's and other 2-strokes rule the dunes.

There is a huge difference going from a nicely modded stock bore EX. Then riding a decent 416 EX. I have a buddy that has almost the same stuff you have done to your EX minus the flywheel and, I pull on him hard. I usually get him by 5 - 7 quad lengths in an 1/8 mile.

Also I found that with the rev box's you aren't getting any more speed or power, you are just destroying your engine faster.

Good luck

Old 03-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

hey ish, wat do you think of that xr400 cam, was it worth the money? how bout the high comp. piston? i was lookin at high comp. pistons and hot cams, but i heard somthin about puttin the xr cam on, do u like it

Old 03-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know guys lighting the Flywheel is awsome the power I have is tremendous. The mechanic at the shop says it has power like the new 450R and is quicker than the 440 I'am gonna have to take it to the dunes and do some dragging. This baby is something else I'am not trying to say I got a really fast machine but this baby is quick. The front end wants to lift up going out of third it has some crazy hookup. You should have seen how much LRD took off the FlyWheel. As for the REV box no they aren't beneficial unless you have a quad that gains power throut out the entire powerband It will be beneficial with mine because I'am able to rev and make power at higher RPM's.

Old 03-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

find a banshee without paddles to race.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Sandrider503-My wife has a 440 ex that is pretty quick and she can beat (some) piped banshees but once they have porting,overbores similar mods it becomes very difficult to hang with them.One of the biggest improvements that you could make would be proper tire selection and gearing along with the right fuel to achieve maximum performance from your 400.With the compression you have you will probably do the best with 92 pump gas but you should experiment with your particular quad to be sure.If you want at least a good chance keep up with against a banshee keep your races short like 300 feet or so and you might get a few wins.Do you ride at florence much and race comp hill because if so you could run against my wifes 440 and see how yours is doing.When my wife is able to get a good start she does very well but for now she is still to inconsistent on her starts which we are working on.If you want to meet me and the wife sometime on the dunes i can share some of what we have learned to make the exs perform so let me know.

Old 03-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Sandrider503, I don't want to be rude, but..............how fat are you???
How fat is the guy you are racing? Not much has been said on this subject so I will being it up. Weight can make a BIG difference in a drag race. The smaller the engine the more difference it makes.
We have shifter carts in my town and I have a friend that is like 6'5" and oh about 260ish. He built a cart and was going to take on these "kids". I told him to sell the cart and do something else if he wants to win. He did not like my advise much. These carts had no weight rule, and this poor guy just got smoked by alot of 12 year old kids that weighed about 75 pounds!!!!
Fast guys know that weight makes a BIG difference!!!! Ask any horse!!!!!! Hope your skinny!!!!

Old 03-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hey DuneItilluDie I would be glad to take you up on that offer. My toy hauler is in the shop right now but should be getting out really soon. Well it should be it's been in there since NOV. So what all do you have done to the 440ex. I haven't had a chance to make it down to florence yet. I want to go bad though I hear it is pretty nice down there but its a good idea to go with someone who has been down there before. I know I can't really get on it to much until it is broken in but thats okay it will be fun anyway. We have reservations at SandLake for the big weekend at the end of may we got a couple of campsites reserved it should be fun. I like taking the kids down because it is small and they can't get to lost. As for your question DoctorTurbo I'am about 6'2"-6'3" and weigh about 250lbs. But that 400 still flys. Thanks

Quick Reply: Can my 400ex beat a Banshee