Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Cannondale Controversy

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2000, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not concerned about the strength of the aluminum frame. I am concerned about the reliability and servicablity of an EFI unit. As I understand it, there are approximatley five electronic sensors that feed into the control unit. What happens when one goes bad? How will you know which one is bad unless you're an electronics expert? And if you can't figure it out, what about your dealer- will they have a factory trained service man?

I think that they would have been wise to stick with a carburator.

Old 07-13-2000, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

All i know is that the bombardier quad were pretty reliable when they first came out, Look at the DS. Why are you underestimating the FX, I think this quad is gona Kick some serious ***. Of course thats just my opinion.

Old 07-13-2000, 10:40 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trailmix, I asked the same questions. Also, if it is an electronic fuel injection, then I would not want to get mud and dirt and dust inside of it. Doesn't it have a computer somewhere. I know cars with EFI have a computer. As far as fixing it, I would say that you would have to have a very qualified technician or you would be running the risk of messing something up.

Old 07-13-2000, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

EFI= electronic fuel injection so it has to have a computer or something to make the E in EFI

Old 07-13-2000, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

I getta kick out of all you technophobes...

EFI has been around for YEARS, reliability concerns have been addressed YEARS ago. Modern fuel injection works well with few failures. EFI principals of operation are actually quite simple, the calibrations and programming are the difficult part, but manufacturer takes care of this part.

As far as working on it, a little education goes a long ways.

Should have stuck with carburetors!? I sure am glad the automotive industry hasn't taken that attitude.

Worried about EFI, look to the snowmobile market, they have successfully been using it for quite a while.

Old 07-13-2000, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

I hope 86atc250r is right about the reliablility of the EFI in an ATV application. I read in an article about the FX400 that there would be a degree of adjustablility in the EFI.

I called the only dealer within approx. 150 miles that Cannondale lists as a distributor. They are so pissed-off with Cannondale at this point, that they may not ever even sell their bikes and ATVs.

Another reservation I have is obtaining parts and service. My 400EX frequently needs parts- screws rattle out, clips and bushings get lost, etc. It's no big deal because there are three Honda dealers within 15 miles, that stock most of these parts. With Cannondale's limited distributor network, you'll have to mail order for every little part or make a long road trip.

Old 07-13-2000, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Trailmix- Sounds like you need a tube of blue loctite!!!

I've only lost one screw on my EX, it's the one I forgot to loctite, dealer replaced it free of charge .....

Later

Old 07-13-2000, 11:42 PM
Range Rover

This thing is gonna rip!! It's like 100 lbs lighter than the 300EX! 430cc. Aluminum frame. Cannondale was thinking when they made this atv. Unlike any other, the air intake is in the front, and the exhaust, straight out the rear. I believe that this thing is gonna beat EVERYTHING out there.. (except highly modded 250R's)Later,

Old 07-14-2000, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

86atc250r is correct. EFI is nothing to be afraid of. Yes, more difficult then a carb, but definitly better. The computer for the system is going to be water/dust/dirt/whatever else proof, so there should be no problem with that. I have been into off roading with trucks before I found ATVs. Many of the truck I ride with have EFI. They out perform my carbed truck easily.
The system on the FX will be easy to tune. They will have software out for it. You hook up a computer, just like you would to an EFI automobile, and do the adjustments you need. If a componant fails, you hook up the 'puter, and it tells you what is wrong. Very simple setup, as long as you don't make it more then it is in your head.

Old 07-14-2000, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

The FX will be sweet. Cannondale has very questionable costomer service but they said they are already building a base dealership or something. It might take a few years but they will get it together. Getting the product to the costomer is more than half the process and is the most important thing in running a factory so if they are smart enough to put out great machines they are smart enough to build a very reliable costomer service.

My advice is to just wait and see how the factory riders do before you order one of these and dont criticise the costomer service untill you go to buy one. who care about costomer service right now!NOBODY EVEN HAS THE QWAD TO NEED IT!!!

Quick Reply: Cannondale Controversy