Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How do you break in a 440ex?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you break in a 440ex?

I am asking for help, I have just put together my 440ex, it has everything listed in my signture, basicly all new. What tips does any one have for me to get it broke in quickly and correctly. It has a Wiesco pisten, I have herd that Weisco's take longer to break in. Any help from anyone would be greatly appriciated!

Old 03-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

ok from what i heard you dont let it idle what so EVER!!! you have to run it!! dont just start it and turn it off thats VERY BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont run it past half throttle either till u run at LEAST a couple of tanks of gas through it.. dont even get tempted put that screw in the throttle and tighten it so u wont even think about it... and also dont keep it at a speed for any constant time so just keep changing ur speed and what ever.. after a while u can give more and more throttle but be careful with it!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] have fun

Old 03-21-2004, 08:06 PM
Range Rover

Let it idle for a few min to get everything seated, then take it out for a spin. Don't go over 3/4 throttle. DO NOT maintain a steady throttle for very long. Keeping the rpms the same will mirror the cylinder and that is bad. Riding in the woods is the best. Just keep going thru the gears with varrying rpm not exceding 3/4 throttle. Ride it like that for about 2 hours, shut the machine off for an hour. Then fire it back up and do the same thing 2 or 3 times. Then after the second or third time change the oil and have at it. You should be properly broken in.

Everyone has their own opinion on this, but I do it exactely how I typed it. My EX is still running strong after 5 years of beating the crap out of it.

Have fun and enjoy, sounds like you built a pretty nice machine.

Old 03-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

yes what u said was perfect.. i didnt mean dont let the engine idle at ALL i ment like dont start it.. let it run for a minute.. hear it.. smile.. turn it off.. walk in.... 20 mins later.. come out.. do it again.. start it up... listen to it... turn it off.. u know what i mean..

Old 03-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Heat cycles for break in is a myth. Yes it does work, but you won't get the full power potential when broken in. Start it up let it warm up to normal operating temp and go ride like you normally would. Don't beat it, but ride it aggresively and let the engine compression slow you down. This will allow the rings to seat better also. Change the oil after the first hr of riding as 80 percent of break in and wear is done in the first hour.........I will glady back myself up if you are in doubt......

Old 03-21-2004, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Outracing-Although you do not want to jump on your newly built quad and hammer the throttle too hard i would keep in mind that your 440 will want to run best the way you break it in.If you baby it too much you will not get everything seated properly on your first few rides.By looking at the mods you have done to your 440 you should have quite a runner when you get it broke in (properly).You should be very competitive with the new 450 r with the hrc kit as my wifes 440 is in fact she raced one yesterday with the full hrc kit at the dunes and as usual they are just about dead even.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Sandgod
Change the oil after the first hr of riding as 80 percent of break in and wear is done in the first hour.........I will glady back myself up if you are in doubt.
Okay, what about the other 20%? When can I really go out and ride it? I want to hammer that throttle wide open, ride wheelies, drag race and just have fun. I have a riding trip planned soon, I don't want to get out there and have everyone waiting on me all the time cause my machine isn't broken in. How would you back yourself up if I was going to question you?

Trending Topics

Old 03-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Ride it like you're going to ride it..... Just don't keep a steady engine RPM.

Old 03-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Break it in ***** to the wall. Remember to give it breaks and let it cool from time to time. Never break an engine in like a puss, give her hell and tap that trottle.

Old 03-28-2004, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

The info I have obtained on the other 20% takes like 30hrs or so. They put it in miles (500), because they are referring to street miles so it would be about 30 hrs on a quad since we aren't going a continuously 65 mph.

Quick Reply: How do you break in a 440ex?