Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What do you think and how much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think and how much?

I have been talking with another EX rider that has been a racer. I want to bump up the wifes stock 01 ex with these mods..

11.2 ross piston
416 bore
whitebros E pipe
HOTCAM cam. I forgot what cam it is but we are a woods/trail rider. Not a drag racer so we want low-mid punch..
I belive the FCR 39 carb?

Am I missing anything I should do?
I need reliability so that is why I want only the 416.
Is this upgrade worth the money?
What am I looking at for this cost?

Old 03-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

I actually just installed the hotcam strage 2 in my ex and even though i did notice a loss in bottom end the higher compression would probably make it up. If you want major bottom get the stage 1

Old 03-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

I would go for it. I am not convinced the Hot Cams do anything. I have ridden a 440EX and a KFX400 that both had stage 2 cams and there was hardly any difference at all from a stock cam. There was no more power at any rpm than there was with the stock cam. I would suggest getting an XR cam or looking at a different manufacturer or just leaving it alone and staying with the stock cam.

I am totally for the 416 piston. The White Bros. E-Series is a good slip on exhaust. I would also consider sticking with the stock carb if you want to save some money. I have the stock carb on my 416 and have no problem at all. It could possibly use a bigger carb but it is not necessary.

I believe that 416 or 426 is the way to go on the 400 motor. I have had mine at 416cc for 5 years and have never had one problem and the cylinder and piston still look fairly new. Runs just as good as when I got it broke in. I would also consider looking into a bigger oil cooler if you plan on riding in muddy or slower trails. Not that you would need the extra cooling but it is nice to have.

With everything you have listed I think it should cost you around $800 - $1000 or more depending on prices you get and shop costs. I say go for it if the wife wants more power. You could also slowly build up with just the exhaust. Then piston, cam, and carb if you want to. The 416 piston really wakes up the 400's.

Go for it and good luck.