Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

SUPER SWAMPER VAMPIRES VS. REAR ENDS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2000, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard rumors that super swamper vampires are hard on the rear ends of atv's. i'm thinking of putting them on my 450 es and would like some info from people who use these tires. I don't want to tear the rear end out a year down the road. Thanks

Old 07-16-2000, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Honda rear ends are known for getting water in them. If you keep the gear lubricant clean and don't put a lift on it, they are pretty solid. Alot of times, people have rear end problems and blame it on the tires eventhough the gear lube has had water in it for a long time. You shouldn't rev it up and pop it in gear with the vamps on it though, you can break the rear u-joint.

Greg

Old 07-17-2000, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think more aggressive, larger-diameter tires would stress all drivetrain components more than stock tires; whether the performance characteristics are worth the extra stress or whether the drivetrain design can take it appears to be a case-by-case decision.

I rode the Tidewater with a guy who'd just mounted new Vamps on his Fourtrax 300; while he got stuck too (like the rest of the dozen riders in our group that day), he was more than happy with the improvement in mudding he noticed, compared with his stock tires. I'll ask him if he's noticed any signs of decreased durability.

Oh, yeah; a rider snapped his Big Bear rear driveshaft that day in a tug-o'-war; I think he rode on Super Swampers. (I think the Vamped Honda was on the other end of the rope.) Driveshaft parted as clean as if cut with a bandsaw. Maybe there's a factory relief cut to insure clean parting. What's that about irresistible force and immovable object? Didn't Frank Sinatra record a song about it? ("Somethin's Gotta Give")

Tree Farmer

Old 07-17-2000, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

I have been running 25x9.5x12 Vamps on Steel ITP 12x7 wheels and a Highlifter kift kit since 1977 on a stock 300. I have not had any problems with it. It is ridden every weekday at least 45-60 and every other weekend on regular rides. Never had any water in my diffs. Had my brakes replaced once and adjusted once, and a front wheel bearing replaced. The 300's have had less rear end trouble than the 450's when a lift was added. My Honda mechanic told me the 450's came with the suspension more extended toward its maximum than the 300's.
I think the way you treat the machine has a lot to do with breakage. If you are always hard on the gas and the wheels are turning fast, a lot of inertia is built up. If you suddenly catch on an immovable object, something is more likely to break. I found my Vamps allowed me to crawl thru places that I used to have to run the throttle wide open, which put more stress on the engine. I just spent $800 on repair of a right front half-shaft on a Hummer for this reason. Anything can be broken, but misuse and abuse (driver or rider judgement) is often passed off as a weak componet in the driveline.
Anytime you put larger and heavier tires and wheels on your bike, common sense will tell you your drive train will be under more stress. Everything has a trade-off value. You have to determine, for your needs, what you are trying to accomplish and what you are willing to compromise in order to benefit your riding style.

Old 07-17-2000, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

It really shouldn't be a problem, I ride with a guy that has a 450S, home made lift kit, & 27" vampires.

Old 07-17-2000, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

I am going to go with 25 inch Vamps, they shoudl not make much of a difference in the stress area. I met a couple guys who pull there Sportsman's with 25 inch Vamps and no troubles yet.

Old 07-17-2000, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Life is a beautiful thing whith the vamps on the back. As a note of interest I mounted the factory stock rear rubber on the front rims, gives you a couple of more inches in width, really helps keep the front end up in the gooey stuff.

Old 07-17-2000, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

so I shouldn't be too concerned about 27" on the Rancher considering they are only for occasional use and I'm not out mistreating it when I do use them. I don't want to make the mistake of getting the wrong tire when I'm sure I like one's I used becuase they worked BIG TIME.

Old 07-17-2000, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

26 inch Mudrunners on the Sportsman and the Xplorer.I have had no driveline related problems with either quad.It does have alot to do with how you ride your quad,as someone else earlier mentioned.===Bill

Old 07-18-2000, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer

HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OR PUT 10" WIDE TIRES ON FRONT AND REAR? THIS MIGHT NOT STRAIN IT AS MUCH AND IT SEEMS IT MIGHT DIG DOWN BETTER AND TRACK BETTER.

Quick Reply: SUPER SWAMPER VAMPIRES VS. REAR ENDS