Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Supertrapp exhaust! How many discs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2000, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replys ya'll posted yesterday on my topic why is my 300ex back-firing. My last question because I'm to be broke for the week after purchasing my supertrapp IDS II exhaust and header is how many disc should I run(I only have 12 disc) with a 14 tooth front spocket? My goal is to get maximum power without losing that much torque and (if possible gain some top end also). Because if I'm going to rejet Friday or Saturday with how many disc ya'll recommend and kept it that way because I hate messing with sensitive carbs. Does changing the disc affect the rejetting in the future? Any comments would be helpful? THANKS

Chris0007

Old 07-20-2000, 11:07 AM
Range Rover

Chris, I'm currently running a Supertrapp IDS2 quiet series with 12 dics and the end disc. When I first put the pipe on my carb was jetted at 125, K&N filter, and the airbox lid on. Also running a 14 tooth counter. The carb jetting proved to be to lean, ran super but a little hot. I put in a 130 main and took the lid off as well. I really like the way it runs now. Running the pipe in the top end range and a 14 tooth sprocket made the gears pull longer. To me it makes for a more comfortable ride. I ride mostly old mining roads and trails. The bike has a nice even pull in the lower rpm range of the gears. On the other hand I can also run the way it's set up to, top end. In the higher rpm range it runs really strong, pulls hard. I'm also running 20/11/9's on back. A 14 tooth and 12 discs will give you more top end, you will give up some low end, not much though. I like it for my style of riding, give it a try you might like. Later, Mike.

Old 07-20-2000, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

first of all read your manual that came with the pipe, it will tell you the least amount of disc that you can run. start at that point and see how that feels, then add more if you want. the fewer the disc the more bottom end you have, the more you have, you will have more top end. when you first install the disc put high temp never seize on them and ever time you change the disc.

99 426ex,11:1,port job,web cam,rev box,k/n,dyno jet kit,6 air box vents,ids-2 pipe,14 tooth front sprocket = power REALLY FAST
changing the disc will not affect the jeting that much not enough to worrie about, but ever time you change something you always want to check the reading on the plug, its best to install a new plug ever time you change something to get a correct reading.

Old 07-20-2000, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the older model outside disc Supertrapp behind my Curtis Sparks pipe with 20 discs for top end, which is the maximum recommended by Supertrapp.I also run a 16T c/s sprocket for the same reason. You will need to rejet for any significant number of added discs. I'm not sure what you mean by "maximum power", but if you want more top end, additional discs could do it.Every thing is a trade off; if you tune for top end, yougive up a little elsewhere, but with the 14T c/s sprocket, you should be okay unless you do a lot of rock crawling.I think I'd pick up a couple of main jets, the next two fatter than stock & try the fatter of the two for your test. If it is atad rich you can always drop to the other one. If you plan to do anything with your filter, you'll need the fatter one then.
I was under the impression that the Keihin had a main jet access plug at the bottom of the bowl, so changing the main should be no problem at all. On my Mikuni I have to remove the boots & the bowl.

Old 07-20-2000, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the helpful information.