Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

why is 250ex not for racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is 250ex not for racing

I wouldnt consider a 250ex a race bike for the following reasons;
-the suspension only has like 4 or 5 inches of travel (not exact specs but u get my point)
-its way too narrow to try and handle any kind of bank at speed
- and its underpowered

I could say that the semi-auto clutch could be an advantage because you dont have to let off the gas to up or downshift. If you downshift and need an extra rev you can just hold the shifter down and it will rev. As oppsed to the manual clutch u have to (dont have to but yea) let off the gas pull the clutch and shift. Or if you race like I do just shift it at full throttle ( this isnt to healthy though)

Old 04-15-2004, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CrAcKhEaD
I wouldnt consider a 250ex a race bike for the following reasons;
-the suspension only has like 4 or 5 inches of travel (not exact specs but u get my point)
-its way too narrow to try and handle any kind of bank at speed
- and its underpowered

I could say that the semi-auto clutch could be an advantage because you dont have to let off the gas to up or downshift. If you downshift and need an extra rev you can just hold the shifter down and it will rev. As oppsed to the manual clutch u have to (dont have to but yea) let off the gas pull the clutch and shift. Or if you race like I do just shift it at full throttle ( this isnt to healthy though)

My Fourtrax goes through that a lot. I hold it in between gears and rev it. Well I'll only do this when I go into 2nd. It doesn't have enough power to spin or pull in 3rd 4th or 5th unless I'm on ice.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[i]Originally posted by: jed250250ex is based on the Recon 250 and the Honda 200sx from '86
I thought that was the parent bike to the 250x, not the 250ex. There is a big difference.

Old 04-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
[i]Originally posted by: jed250250ex is based on the Recon 250 and the Honda 200sx from '86
I thought that was the parent bike to the 250x, not the 250ex. There is a big difference.

It doesn't matter if the 200sx is the parent bike to the 250x. Can't Honda go back and be inspired by their old machines? The 250ex is based on the Recon but it has a 200sx feel to it.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Why is it not good to shift without using the clutch. I do it some of the time with my 300 EX only at higher speeds! At low speeds I use the clutch but it seems to shift just fine without the clutch. What damage will it actually cause?

Old 04-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

If you shift without the cluth while giving it gas or slowing down, its bad. Its not bad for it when you shift you are at a kind of neutral speed. The quad isnt making the engine spin to fast and the engine isnt causing the quad to slow down. Hopefully someone wlse can explain it better.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

well i still have my 250ex and it corners well if u know how, there so small you can almost throw them around the corner and if u lift the shifter about half way u can rev as high as u want but when u let go its back in drive, i do that around the corners and you pop out of them mutch quicker, but using the clutch is mutch better

o yea micheal jackson raped another little boy.
just herd it on the news

Old 04-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondaracer305
Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: Kyperman
Originally posted by: 300exRiderJay
Suspension is bad and not adjustable, its slow(not saying that my 300ex is fast but its a good amount faster) shaft drive just takes off HP because of all the things that have to move for it, and its semi-auto.

With all due respect 300exRiderJay, the shaft drive does not take HP away, but does the opposite, the shaft drive on a 250ex is a direct line into rear wheels, there are less "things to move". It is simple physics, the engine on a 250ex is mounted so the shaft drives comes right out of the back of the engine. On a chain drive there are more angles and this actually causes a loss of HP.

The reason a 250ex does not race is that it is not built for that, it is based on a utility ATV the recon. It is not a race bike but more of a hybrid.

Think of it this way, sprinter wears sprinting shoes, other track and field athletes wear a cross training shoe. The 250ex is not a sprinter and was not built to be.
First, there is more drivetrain power loss with the shaft drive than a chain drive. Thats why shaft drive isnt considered preferable for race conditions. If you dont believe me, then try telling the owners of the kfx700 who switched to chain drive that they lost hp...

Second, I am pretty sure that the recon was created from the 250ex, not the other way around. The 250ex was designed to fill the beginner and young rider niche as an autoclutch machine with a low maintenance, low performance engine and shaft drive. Its a great machine for what it was designed for, its just not a racer.
How do you convert to a chain, my friend may be intrested.

No I am 99 percent sure that the recon was around before the 250ex and the 250ex is an offspring of that....

Old 04-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

the suspension would be ruff

Old 01-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

it doesnt take a genius to tell dont try jumping 90footers... and if your to much of a pansy to do little stuff by after market suspension.... i run mine a makeshift trail/track... the top of the trails make good ramps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].. we built up the hill tops and berms with a BOBCAT(best friends dad is a contractor so it was free!!!!)

Quick Reply: why is 250ex not for racing