Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

why is 250ex not for racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is 250ex not for racing

hey everyone, i consider myself pretty well educated in anything automotive. however i am new to this world of atv'ing. i was just wondering what the disadvantage of a driveshaft and auto clutch are. i know they r not as powerful as built for racing bikes but y cant the 250 race?

Old 04-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

they do i believe have a specail calls for the slow 250's, like 250ex, z250, 300ex, blaster, mojavie, and all them

Old 04-14-2004, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Suspension is bad and not adjustable, its slow(not saying that my 300ex is fast but its a good amount faster) shaft drive just takes off HP because of all the things that have to move for it, and its semi-auto.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 300exRiderJay
Suspension is bad and not adjustable, its slow(not saying that my 300ex is fast but its a good amount faster) shaft drive just takes off HP because of all the things that have to move for it, and its semi-auto.

With all due respect 300exRiderJay, the shaft drive does not take HP away, but does the opposite, the shaft drive on a 250ex is a direct line into rear wheels, there are less "things to move". It is simple physics, the engine on a 250ex is mounted so the shaft drives comes right out of the back of the engine. On a chain drive there are more angles and this actually causes a loss of HP.

The reason a 250ex does not race is that it is not built for that, it is based on a utility ATV the recon. It is not a race bike but more of a hybrid.

Think of it this way, sprinter wears sprinting shoes, other track and field athletes wear a cross training shoe. The 250ex is not a sprinter and was not built to be.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

The chain and sprocket may cause a power loss, but it's lighter than the driveshaft.

The biggest problem with the auto clutch is that you have to let the gas off and then shift. With the 300ex or 400ex, you could pull your clutch in, then shift your gear and not let go of the gas.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Kyperman

With all due respect 300exRiderJay, the shaft drive does not take HP away, but does the opposite, the shaft drive on a 250ex is a direct line into rear wheels, there are less "things to move". It is simple physics, the engine on a 250ex is mounted so the shaft drives comes right out of the back of the engine. On a chain drive there are more angles and this actually causes a loss of HP.

The reason a 250ex does not race is that it is not built for that, it is based on a utility ATV the recon. It is not a race bike but more of a hybrid.

Think of it this way, sprinter wears sprinting shoes, other track and field athletes wear a cross training shoe. The 250ex is not a sprinter and was not built to be.
First, there is more drivetrain power loss with the shaft drive than a chain drive. Thats why shaft drive isnt considered preferable for race conditions. If you dont believe me, then try telling the owners of the kfx700 who switched to chain drive that they lost hp...

Second, I am pretty sure that the recon was created from the 250ex, not the other way around. The 250ex was designed to fill the beginner and young rider niche as an autoclutch machine with a low maintenance, low performance engine and shaft drive. Its a great machine for what it was designed for, its just not a racer.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

not true i can run full throttle while shifting gears. also i dont know why people think the clutch is non-existent on these things. it is there when u hit the shift lever the clutch engages between the gears if u hold it rite u r in the clutch and can rev all overf the place

Trending Topics

Old 04-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56

First, there is more drivetrain power loss with the shaft drive than a chain drive. Thats why shaft drive isnt considered preferable for race conditions. If you dont believe me, then try telling the owners of the kfx700 who switched to chain drive that they lost hp...

Second, I am pretty sure that the recon was created from the 250ex, not the other way around. The 250ex was designed to fill the beginner and young rider niche as an autoclutch machine with a low maintenance, low performance engine and shaft drive. Its a great machine for what it was designed for, its just not a racer.

250ex is based on the Recon 250 and the Honda 200sx from '86

Old 04-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, you can gear the sprockets to make it go faster or accelerate quicker. The shaft drive makes it a lot heavier than a chain, but you dont have to fool with tightening or greasing the shaft, but thats not a big loss. Those are some of the main differences

Old 04-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56

How do you convert to a chain, my friend may be intrested.

Quick Reply: why is 250ex not for racing