Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Disk Brake Kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disk Brake Kits

One thing I considered a negative on purchasing a Honda was the drum brakes. I see there are disk brake kits available. Has any one used them? I think when my drum brakes need service I will consider replacing the whole thing with disk brakes (Foreman 450 ES) The drums work fine, but my concern is accelerated wear caused by dirt, sand and or water getting in.

Comments? Questions? Opinions?

Old 04-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default Disk Brake Kits

I personally dont own any but i have a friend that put some on his Rancher. To me they stop a lot better than the drums when they were new, plus theyve been on there for about 3 months with all mud miles and are still stopping.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Disk Brake Kits

Yea I prefer disks for a lot of reasons. they stop better in all sorts of conditions, and dissapate heat better. Less moving parts = easier to maintain. I believe I will make the change in the near future.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Disk Brake Kits

This is my view: My bro. has a AC250 w/ disc brakes all the way around. The disk are very exposed and you can hear them scraping all the time. At one point the pads were only lasting about 6 months and we did not do all that much mud riding at that time. The pads cost about $30 a pair so it got rather expensive very quick. I don't know if this has anything to do w/ it but those brakes willwood brand (same as the HL kits). On my recon the first set of brakes lasted about 2 years in the same riding situations and the same amounts, the pads cost about the same, there is less breaking power, but I think the long time that they last is well worth the sacrafice.

Percanaly I like the fact that at least one brand is sticking w/ something that is very well proven to work and work well.