Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HELP--HOW CAN I GET MY A-ARMS OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2000 | 09:36 AM
|
Range Rover

I can not get my a-arms off. Anyone know what else holds the a-arm to the disk breaks(the unit that the tire goes on)besides the one bolt and nut. I took the nut off the bolt but it won`t come lose. Is it just stuck from all the riding.
allmost forgot. It is a 400EX

Old 07-27-2000 | 10:52 AM
Trailblazer

man, crawl yourself under there, and take a good look!!
there is a lot more than 1 bolt holding your a-arms on!!

Old 07-27-2000 | 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

The one bolt and nut that you see holding your spindle on is actually a tapered bolt that is part of the ball joint. Therefore you have to press the bolt out somehow. Be careful to not tear the dust boot, you can't buy them from Honda, don't use an automotive "pickle-fork".. I've used a smaller bolt and nut, placed in between the two bolts and then thread the nut out(the smaller bolt) and it presses against the tapered bolt and pushes it out. Try tapping on the bolt, with the nut installed, to see if it will come out easily. A "C" die in a rivet gun works well for that too.

Old 07-27-2000 | 11:43 AM
Range Rover

From what you describe I am going to assume you are trying to seperate the a-arm from the spindle. This being the case, the one bolt is all that you have to remove. The catch is the ball joint stud(your bolt) is tapered and when you tighten it down it presses the stud into the mating hole in the spindle. To get them apart will either require a lot of beating on your part or preferably to use a tool designed for seperating a ball joint from the spindle. You should be able to pick up such a tool at your local auto store.

Old 07-27-2000 | 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

WHAT ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE SAYING!! Alright I have done all the work on my bike my self and I have a 400 so take it from the camels mouth. First. remove Tie Rod. 2nd Remove both nuts from brake caliper/spindle 1 for uper a-arm, 1 for lower a-arm. Next the balljoint bolt is not really pressed in. If you have ridden your bike alot it will just be, well pressed in from the pressure, So just get a small piece of wood and a ball piene hammer. rest the wood on the bolt and take the hammer, hit as close as you can to the bolt and give it a good wack. It will pop out on the first hit.

Old 07-27-2000 | 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

I'd like to see you try that block of wood trick on my old '96. It ain't happening brother.

nosaj
96 350XX
#94 MHSC
#401 SOIL

Old 07-28-2000 | 12:59 AM
|
Range Rover

OK i tryed the hammer,wood trick. It didn`t work. I would have to say it is in there good and tight. so whats the tool I need to buy to get them loose.
It`s killing me I have new a-arm,tcs shocks but cant get the dumb stock stuff off.

Old 07-28-2000 | 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

I know someone said not to use a pickle fork.I used one on my 86 trx250r and it seperated the A-arm from the spindle no prob.Also the little boot is on the stock A-arms not the spindle so it really doesn't matter unless U want to use your stock A-arms again.The pickle fork I used was on a air powered chisle type thing.

Old 07-28-2000 | 02:52 AM
Pro Rider

one more thing U did not mention if u got extended brake lines or not.If U didn't the stockers are probably not long enough.I am asumming your new A-arms are wider than stock.

Old 07-28-2000 | 09:34 AM
|
Range Rover

I got them off. Yes I have +2+1 A-Arms,they came with new break lines. Also have TCS shocks. I hope the MODs are worth it. This has been a real pain in the A**.

Quick Reply: HELP--HOW CAN I GET MY A-ARMS OFF?