Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r owners...give me the scoop about this machine

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r owners...give me the scoop about this machine

I just want to know how you like it..I'm thinking about getting one later this year...How does it run,,,handle,,,what do you do with it...trail riding,,,mx,,,dunes....I just want some general ideas about this machine and since its fairly new I would like to get opinions from the owners!

Old 05-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

It's a slow,under powered,under suspended,hard starting,incomplete piece of crap. Just ask all the fine Yamaha pos(t)ers............

Old 05-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use mine for grand prix races, mx races, and just messing around and I love it. I switched from the 250r to the 450r after test riding z400's and yfz450's. Most of the guys I ride with were very impressed witht he 450r when I let them ride it, even the yfz guys. Hi Torque publications really gave the 450r a bad rap, and in my opinion they were very wrong in the evaluation. Having ridden my quad, several of the yfz fans were considereing selling their bikes and buying the trx. Anyways, the bike handles very nice and is extremely easy to ride. Starting the bike is easy, usually first or second kick (just remember to not give it any gas). When the bike is cold you must use the choke, when it's warm use the hot start lever (I have started it several times without using the hot start on the first kick) The power is nice, it sounds like a turd, but it gets up an goes. When I first rode my bike, I was disappointed cus I didn't think it was going as fast as I thought it was, then I started racing guys and began blowing them away. Can't wait to see what a pipe will do to this bike. Brakes are excellent, ergos top notch (as I said it's veryeasy to ride). Thumb throttle isn't as hard to push as my 250r and all the yfz's I've ridden, and the clutch lever is easy to pull. I'm 6,1" and I find the seat to handlebar to foot peg relation perfect. The gearing on the bike is a little strange, first is very tall. I tried to fix it by switching the front sproket form 14 to 13, but this made 2nd and 3rd to short. I think 14 with the pipe will be ideal, maybe go up a tooth in the back as well. I like the looks of the bike, but I wish they would have protected the gas tank with side plastics, the tank takes all the impacts direct. I also would have like to have had the key mounted somewhere other than on the plastics shroud mounted to the handlebars. Once you replace the bars, your left with finding a place to install the key switch and the heat light. An FCR carb would have been nice to, but the carb thats on it works fine for us average riders.

I recomend the 450r to anyone and everyone. I think it's a great bike and soon to be a proven winner in the GNC as it was in the Clear Channel series and the Baja.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

The bike comes from the factory with MX in mind. I personally trail ride when I get to go out. If you ride in tight woods then you will want to do a 13t front sprocket unless you are going to do the HRC/any cam + pipe. Click here for an idea of what an aftermarket pipe will gain for you in power **especially torque**. You can click here for a stock dyno run of the 450R and YFZ. Notice the torque vs rpm dyno graph shows the only real difference in power between the two bikes.

The next order of business is when you get home adjust the preload on the suspension. I weight in around 200lbs and have the rings about 2 threads from the top and the adjusters turned almost all the way hard. If you are fortunate enough to be lighter you could go up almost all the way on the preload to no rings showing.

Last but not least go out and have fun.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tx450r
The bike comes from the factory with MX in mind. I personally trail ride when I get to go out. If you ride in tight woods then you will want to do a 13t front sprocket unless you are going to do the HRC/any cam + pipe. Click here for an idea of what an aftermarket pipe will gain for you in power **especially torque**. You can click here for a stock dyno run of the 450R and YFZ. Notice the torque vs rpm dyno graph shows the only real difference in power between the two bikes.

The next order of business is when you get home adjust the preload on the suspension. I weight in around 200lbs and have the rings about 2 threads from the top and the adjusters turned almost all the way hard. If you are fortunate enough to be lighter you could go up almost all the way on the preload to no rings showing.

Last but not least go out and have fun.
I like seeing those dyno charts [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 05-14-2004, 04:31 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am liking mine more every time I ride it! It can go faster than I want to, most of the time. I am setting up for desert, and will eventually widen the front when my budget will allow.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I love mine. I went with a 13t since I ride a lot of trails. Will be interested to see how different it is in the dunes with 13t. Should be quicker up the comp. hills with a 13t though.
I don't think you can go wrong with the 450R. It is a great all aroung bike. Nice smooth power delivery and it is ***** out FAST!

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

I just installed the 13 tooth sprocket and it makes for a whole different quad. Takes away the "clattering" at low RPM's and is the way to go....