Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why would anyone use a K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would anyone use a K&N?

I am not trying to make anyone mad or put K&N out of business, but as far as I can tell K&N's suck.

You guys that run them might as well run no filter at all, just take off your air filter then she will flow really nice and go really fast!!!

I would rather run a super restictrive stock filter or at least a well oil Uni and keep some of the sand, dust and dirt out of my motor!!!

A 45 dollar mod that recks your tank honda quad, faster than a stock yamaha!

WHY?

Sure K&N promises alot of things

1. Horse power gains ( of course it flows better, it is an 1/8 inch of filter! )
2. Rarley have to clean it ( of course you don't have to clean it as much, all the dirt is in your motor! )
3. It will out last the life of you vechile ( of course it will, it recked your quad! )

but non of there promises have anything to do with its primary purpose, FILTERING!!!

So lets all take a few minutes and look carefully at your K&N's is it really worth it, sacrificing realibilty for a very small gain in horse power, in the long run a quad running a stock filter will adventually beat your half poohed quad running a K&N!!!

Do what you want, I'm just warning you guys, that I learned the hard way, I wish I would have listened to the people that told me K&Ns are junk, they belong in a garbage or at a dealership, not on your quad!

you want some more performance go get a uni filter, more filtration then a K&N and mabye a little less flow, but still very good!

Thanks for reading
any comments or questions
feel free to post

300ex with too many mods to list!

Old 05-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

oh geez this is so tempting........

got to resist urge to slam.......

must

push

away from

key-
board...

I'll be nice this time. <grins> wouldn't want to hurt a guys feelings.

I'm sure a 300ex owner from Ontario with 33 posts must know more than all the other 100's of thousands of people who have been running K&N's for many many many years in numerous applications world wide.

Yes you're right. K&N's are the anit-christ, must spread the word. Evil work of the devil I say.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I've been using K&N air filters on my rides since the late '80s. Only time I ever had a problem was when I tightened the clamp too much on my 250R and crimped the mount. Since then, both the Rs here have support rings installed and that problem has gone away.
I always oil it properly and use an Outerwear with it.
Yes, you need to clean them often! Whoever told you otherwise is WRONG! You should clean them a minimun of every 6 hours of riding, more if in really dusty areas. I have 2 filters for each quad; at end of day, I take out the dirty one and install a clean one. I then clean the dirty one and get it ready for the next time. Only takes a few minutes at the end of the day to do this. Yeah, you have to spend a little money to have the "extras" but it's worth it.
Sorry about your motor. That's truly a drag.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:27 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny post and this isnt the first time ive heard of this. but for running these filters on a sand ridin bike, i must disagree. if i was riding open desert, id run a UNI.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:39 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Ran K&N on one for 5-6 years no problems. I don't run outerwears either. You must not have sealed it good or something.

They filter just fine.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Range Rover

There always seems to be some guys that say K&N sucks but they never show any proof that it was to blame for there problem or the guy has never used a K&N

Old 05-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer

Why would anyone use a K&N?

Hahaha A chearp from the dude that bought a quad from a company that should have stuck to making 700 triple sleds that grenade at 5000 k

I may only have a 300ex, but I had it the year before the 400's came out and already had to much value to me, I just couldn't sell it, ya ya sure I kick myself evertime I get out run by 400ex or a 250r, but all in all at least I don't own a quad with tranny problems, it only took dirtwheel two weeks to uncover them! Have fun with you polaris bud! I own only the best, a HONDA tank that has never let me down!!!

I ran the K&N on my 300zx turbo nissan and had. She grended at the strip with ony 315,000 km on it, these cars are known fer runnin to 400,000 km and over. I belame it on the K&N and so did my dad, the expert engine machinest that works for car quest! he found damage on the valves and on cylinders from dirt getting through my K&N! FYI I cleaned and oiled every 3000 km with every oil change

I am not here to cherp people, but I don't like people cherping me for speaking my mind or for owning a 300ex, if you want to rely on a 1/8 of a inch of filter with some oil on it and some meatle mesh stuff go ahead, no one is stopping you. I am just saying from owning and looking at K&N's I can't see how they can possibly filter everything.

As for the guy that thinks cleaning them is the anwser
http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

you will find K&N saying that and i qoute:
"Lasts up to 50,000 miles before cleaning is required depending on driving conditions"

I would say that is excessive unless you were driving 10000 feet in the air

The reason that stock filters are restictive is because they are filtering

buddy with the preditor feel free to hit the key board a few times and cherp me should have bought a, 450r, your just pissed you wasted you money on polarises first quad with a transmission, not a belt

peace
Eric Winkworth
300ex with too many mods to list

Old 05-20-2004, 01:10 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

So you got 300k km out of your car and 6+ years out of your quad and you're mad at k&N? Did I understand you right?

Old 05-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Range Rover

Nice

you are really wrecking things for the rest of us........ you can defend the 300 all you want. The cherp was not about your honda. It was about the knock to the filter. K&N is a fiber based filter which has to be oiled to "catch the dirt" that is what the oil is for.

If your car blew up on the strip it wasn't from the filter. If you strip a car with 300,000k on it you will find an old engine no matter who makes it will blow up when abused. This is an ATV forum so back to your dead 300. If you drive your bike in a sandbox and your filter is not properly installed or you haven't taken the proper precautions when you know the location that you ride in, nobodys fault but your own.

Honda's are the best bike of all time

Old 05-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

nope sorry

300 000k out of a 300zx car that should have lasted 400 000 km easy, trust me if you knew the car you would know there tanks!!!

and my brother used to run a K&N on his 250x and he had problems with it, I don't know how much he cleaned it, he took pretty good care of her, she broke down after 4 years of not even riding that much valve problems and low on compression my dad said again from dirt and dust
he said you could see the scoring on the intake seats and cylinder walls

my brother alway changed it with synthedic fluids and didn't even beat her that bad!!

I havin't ever ran one on my 300 though uni all the way baby, my old man say so too, just look at the difference a two stage 1'5 inch think foam filter against a K&N that is an 1/8 of an inch thick no second stage and more money !!!

I just don't get it

I know they arn't terrable, but my point is they let dirt by, so why sacrifice relibilty for a tiny little gain is airflow

peace