Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

foreman450s or AC500

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2000, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BONER...you can't tell me the stock tires on your AC are any good...that is if they're the Titans. I have the 489's on my Polaris and I've had 5 or 6 flats (had to replace 3) in 800 miles...they suck. My bro in law has 2 AC 500....has had problems with one, the other's fine. Plus the design of the rocker shifting sucks IMO.
If it were me I'd go w/ the Honda.
Without question.

Old 08-06-2000, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, my factory Titians are very good tires, but they are not 489s. In 99 Arctic Cat 500's came with 26x10.5x12 Titian 495's. Which my 99 500 has.

I have about 12-15 holes in them cause of some idot that droped a box of roofing nails in our trails, but other than that I have no compalaints.

Old 08-06-2000, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well as a 2000 Foreman S owner I can honestly say I am quite happy with it and I use it every day for work in the fields and at play.(And I play hard). Two friends also have recently bought the 450's also and are happy as well. The deciding factor when buying mine was engine reliability because Honda has been in the game a long time and to me have proven themselves time and again with previous equipment I own. So in closing BUY THE HONDA !!!!

Old 08-07-2000, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think I would buy a Yamaha Timberwolf 250 4x4. They are such mean machines......I don't think there is a better quad out there. I mean 229cc 2 valve air cooled four stroke.....4.9 in. of wheel travel....I think I have made my point here!

Old 08-08-2000, 01:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

495's are a stiffer tire than 489's I think. The only flat I ever had in 1200 miles with mine was caused by a 16penny nail and it didn't go flat. I just noticed it and plugged it. I think the Titans are the best stock tire you can get. Face it. Stock tires for the most part suck no matter what they are. All the experiences I have had with Titans are good. I wouldn't get them as aftermarket tires, but for stock, you can't beat them.

Old 08-08-2000, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is a "buyer's preference" issue here. Just get what you want, especially if you are paying for it. That is the focus that I took and I rode everything, and I am talking Everything. For over a year to find the thing that Most suited me. In my opinion (and several others), nobody makes a more solid quad than Honda. They are indeed the strongest made, and they don't cut any corners. All the plastic fits snug and the don't become rattle traps after a couple of years.

Now. I got the 500 AC in the end. I don't think the plastic fits it as well as the honda by any means. It doesnt have that neat display either. Other than that, I couldn't find any single category where the Honda 450 was better. Power? AC all the way. Faster and better pulling. Transmission? Dual range is so useful if you ride in the right situations. Low 1st gives ultimate throttle control in steep rocky hills. Don't buy into any rocker shifter BS either. Unless you just don't like it after using it, anything you here is all to be taken with a grain of salt. I became a believer real quick.

Racks? Far and away the best racks of any quad made. Front Bumper? Strong pushbar design far better than the "tough looking but really weak" bumper of the Grizzly. Brakes? There is no substitute for hydraulic discs. Mud will not ruin them near as quick as a drum. I have ove 1,300 miles and still have great brakes, all stock.

Turning? It doesn't turn any worse than a 450. Old hondas turn wide circles. Ranchers turn real good. Full steel floorboards. No plastic to crack on trees in tight spots. Strong fender flares that can take abuse. Like the other guy said. The winch setup is the best in the business. Looks stock. Looks mean. And looks a lot stronger than that thing on the Bombardier XT.

Last. The main reason that I would still not even trade my AC for even a Rubicon. The Semi-independant suspension. It is so nice to be able to keep wheels on the ground. It gives you so much more confidence in steep uneven terrain.

Do I say Get the AC? Hell no. I say get the one you want, because you are the one riding it and paying for it. If you want to ride red, get the 450. If you want to ride cat, get the AC. They are both excellent machines, and you can't go wrong either way. Good luck buddy. I hope you pick the best for you.

Old 08-08-2000, 08:08 AM
Range Rover

Excellent post Andy.

Having examined them both (along with a host of others) prior to finally purchasing the 450ES, I obviously came to a different conclusion. However, it is responses such as yours that benefit those individuals who are honestly seeking advice from experienced owners in an attempt to make the best buying decision for themselves.

Well done.

Temp

Old 08-08-2000, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Theres nutin like the GRUNT of a bear go with yamaha and be apart of the bear family

Old 08-09-2000, 12:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sorry, I take back all of my previous post. Just be a man and get the same thing I got. Ha ha ha! Yeah right. Do you guys not get sick of hearing that?

Old 08-09-2000, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

Andy
You've summed things up very well. Making a choice between a cat and big red in this category is relatively easy. The extra power and ease of handling on the cat tops the Honda.

However 3 wheel drive on these models would require me to look further even if it meant spending more to acquire true 4 wheel drive!

Max

Quick Reply: foreman450s or AC500