Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

foreman450s or AC500

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2000, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well it has came down to the last week before i get a new atv. i wanted to get the 450s but my dad thinks that i should get the ac500. i will be doing 75% work, and 25% mudding. i like the hondas cuz they are built better than a brick wall but at the same time when you spend this much money you want to be happy. i also like the LCD display on the honda's. please help
Thanks
StitchZR2

Old 08-04-2000, 01:39 AM
Trailblazer

If your paying for it and not your dad I'd get what you really want being the 450es,I wish I'd bought the 450 that was my next pick next to the AC but I felt the AC was set up better for ride and accesories off the show room floor so I went with it but now I really want to sell and get the 450es.Also remember if you going to be doing alot of mudding the AC is really 3wheel drive as is the 450es however you can buy the locker for the 450 and as for the AC you stuck with only 3wheel drive.they call it limited slip as does honda but there aint no limited about it they slip and slip and slip and slip.etc hope this helps later on

Old 08-04-2000, 05:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

GET THE 450ES.

Old 08-04-2000, 12:48 PM
guy
Range Rover

Actually the AC has the better 4wd. There is this trick that you can do with the brakes, I'm not sure exactly how it works but you tap the brake or something and it gives you TRUE 4wd breifly. I haven't met anybody ever dissatisfied with their AC, this guy is the first. GL in whatever you choose.

Old 08-04-2000, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

433cc 2 valve air cooled or 493cc 4 valve liguid cooled I do not see the choice problem unless the smaller bike is priced less which I dought.

Old 08-04-2000, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer

I dont know anything about the AC but ever since I rode the Foreman I was hooked, I dont have one but my uncle does and I have to say it is the BEST ATV in my book, He cuts trees for a living and he uses his on the job. Not only does it do fantastic in the mud but there is almost no job he wont try, and u get there in style.......
go with the Foreman.......

Ride hard.

Old 08-04-2000, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am a true honda fan I have had plenty of four wheelers in my past. But I have never had one to even come close to being as out going as my Honda 450s. Their is no job to big for the 450s. stick with the Honda

Old 08-05-2000, 02:17 AM
Range Rover

Do you really think that the Honda forum is going to tell you to buy the AC. They are both excelent quads but i think the AC is a better value and has some really nice features that honda lacks.

Old 08-05-2000, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

about 14 months ago I was in your same position. I could not decide between 450s or an Arctic Cat 500.

I decided on the AC 500 for a few of my own personal reasons. Even tho my family had never bought anythign but Honda.

If I had to pick between an AC 500 and 450s today I would SURELY pick the Arctic Cat over the 450.

The 2wd/4wd selector, high/low tranmisson, standard floorborads, WAY BETTER suspension, WAY better tires, softer seat, bigger gas tank, and big power gain that you get when you buy the Arctic Cat over the 500 are just a few reasons.

I have gone threw mud holes that 450's with Vampires could not pass threw, and I have stock tires. I have NEVER been raced or pulled by a 450 ever(tried many times).

I ride with 450's all the time. There have been many cases where I have climbed a canal with no help then have to go help my buddy with his 450s(27" mudbugs and mesh basket racks) to get out of the same spot I had just passed threw.

I will admit, his 450 shifts a lot smoother than mine(except reverse), his has less body roll, and he has ALOT BETTER lighting system, But I would still pick my cat over a 450 any day.

p.s I have 2500 miles on my oringinal brakes, he had to change his a 900 miles, and we ride the same terain, with me being alittle harder on brakes than he is(I drive faster).

Old 08-06-2000, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

I have seen both products in action, my brother owns a 99,500 Acat,He is a big guy over 300lbs and i am impressed with the durability of his machine. To me the Acat has the best designed front end that accomodates a winch package,its reliability has been 100% since he bought it 2,000 miles ago.We use what ever we have to the max, we dont overabuse but we dont pamper them either.So in all fairness to the Acat's durablity and reliablity id have to say hey it's tough.My new Rubicon is setting in the garage with 300 miles on it with electrical troubles while he is out riding.In my opinion after owning and riding with many riders and being a mechanical person, id stay away from the machines that are too dependent on electrical components.Keep it simple and manual.Where we go and what we put these ATV'S through is not really meant for cutting edge frills,with frills comes way to many sensors and pages of electronic trouble shooting remedies in your shop manual.Good luck,also i think the perfect Atv has not been built yet!!!!

Quick Reply: foreman450s or AC500