WILL I BE HAPPY WITH PERFORMANCE.
I WANT TO GO FAST WHEN I WANT TO AND SLOW WHEN I WANT TO
PLEASE GIVE ME OPINIONS?

Old 06-09-2004, 03:26 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HONDA RANCHER 2X4??

Great machine! The ride is fairly sporty, for a utility. I have even busted out some big air on this thing. I am more impressed every time I ride. Took it rock crawling last weekend......no problem. Only place it will fall short is in snow and mud (don't have much of either here in So. Calif.), being that it is a 2wd.

On the other hand, my rule is to never ride a utility anywhere that I can ride a sport bike! The Z400 and 400EX are great machines.

Old 06-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 Ranchers...one is 4x4 the other 2x4 I like the 2x4 better for trail riding it is easier to maneuver around...I use the 4x4 for work around the property which is pretty steep. Both top out around 53 mph which for me is plenty fast enough...it is not very often you are riding in an area where you can do that kind of speed for any length of time. I like the fact that you don't have to worry about using a clutch, that was a big decision maker in getting my wife to ride them. I am happy with the Hondas...not only reliable but the resale value will always be good. Good luck with buying your 1st. ATV whatever it may be.

Old 06-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

Did you look at the Rancher AT. Bit more money but it has 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive that you can change on the fly. You can also run it as fully automatic or electric shift. So it is very versatile to many types of riding conditions as well as easy for any member of the family to be able to get on and go without havng to learn to shift.

As for sport verses utility - boy that is the tough question I had to answer for myself and they are 2 very different worlds. I test drove Suzuki Z400 then jumped right on the Honda AT and immediately decided on the AT - but, I'm 47 and coming off of a hang on for your life dirt bike and am just interested in some good solid worry free long days of trail riding with my wife. So, the answer to this question is based on what each person is looking for. If you can, ride both, it will tell you a lot.

Old 06-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

the honda 2x4 is a great machine my buddy owns an 03, and he beats the day lights out of it, runs perfect, i have a 02 4x4 rancher es that runs flawless, ran 40 miles on it last night, and for the gentlemen with the 4x4 with hard steering, buying the 424 disconnect from warn, turns the 4x4 right into a 2x4, steering is equal to my buddy's 2x4, second best investment for the bike next to the bike it self, any questions let me know, also the bike is probably one of the quietest quads i ever have heard, i live in like a senior citzen area, people complain about quads all the time, most people don't even realize i own one it so quiet, perfect for hunting, any questions u have let me know

Old 06-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

also if you want to do any type of trail riding i would cauction you from buying a sport bike, most bikes, have manual clutch, also have around 3-4 inches clearance in the butt end not good at all for trail riding, he spends more time looking at the trail trying to figure how to get around stuff where as i get to look at scenery and relax and enjoy the riding, while he is back there slipping the clutch trying to get up rocks and sweating hes going to smash the rear end off the bike, also speed is addicting im not going to lie, i would kill myself inside a week cus i love pushing his kawasaki 400 bike faster and faster, also sport bikes offer no room really for a second passenger, we put a second passenger with a blanket on the rear rack on the rancher, very comforablte ride that way, honda is perfect for me in every way, and i rode a variety of different bikes