Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need some help 250x runnin' rough

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help 250x runnin' rough

Any help is very appreciated...I have 91 honda 250x. Was running great (needs piston and rings in the future) but having issues with keeping the bike running. My Kid was trail riding in 3rd gear and ran into some traffic and jammed on the breaks and of course the bike shutdown from coming to a complete stop. After that, couldn't get the bike kicked over for about 1/2 hour...finally kicked over and it ran like a bear for about 3 minutes and started running rough and once I shut it down, It took about another 1/2 to 1 hour of sitting before it would kick over again. And again it would run nice for about 2 minutes before running like crap. I can keep the bike running, but it runs like its getting too much or too little gas. I have changed the plug, air filter took off the carb and cleaned out all jets I could see. I also checked the float valve which was in excellent shape. Cleaned out the gas tank and cleaned the pecock valve filter and valve. The float doesn't look damaged

I'M LOST AT THIS POINT?!! Could it possibly be the plug wire (no visible damage), or the cdi....I really could use the help before I pay honda 80/hr to look at it, when its something stupid.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Range Rover

did you check to make sure the choke was off......what about the reverse rev limiter, does it sound like it is kicking in even though it isn't in reverse. It has been a LONG time since I rod a 250X, I don't even remember if it has reverse....

Old 06-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, the choke was definately off (and tried in on). The bike does have a reverse but was not engaged. Like I said, the bike runs great for about 2-3 minutes nice and strong, but then seems like its struggling or drowning in gas. Maybe the float is not working properly? Is it possible if the float is not working properly the bike would flood? I don't see any gas coming from a overflow. Any ideas are welocome

Old 06-25-2004, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would check the timing if the chain was loose it might of sliped a kogg heres how you do it
you have to pretty much take everything off to get to the top of the motor you have to take the valve cover off the top of the motor be carefull there is a pin in there for lining it up in so dont lose that once the came is visible you have to go to the left hand side of the atv and find two plugs that are on the side of the case one is about the size of a silver dollar in the middle of the case and the other one is about the size of a nikel or quarter more twards the front that one has your timing marks in there tak a rachet and put it on the nut in the big opening to turn the flyweel till you get to the mark that has the F on it line that up with mark on the case were you took the small plug out Then you go over and check the marks on your cam sprocket they should be allmost level and if there not your timing is off sounds like fun dosent it BEST BET TAKE IT IN TO SOME BODY THIS JOB REALY SUCKS EVEN THOE THEY WILL STICK IT TO YA ITS WORTH IT

Old 07-08-2004, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

sounds like the piston an rings cause ween it runs for 2 mins it gets hot and the cylinder excpands and loses compression or maybe the timming but im only 15 so might not be right

Old 07-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies fellas....I ended up taking it to the Honda shop and they think its a possible problem with my exhaust valve or some other top end component. They wanted 960.00 to fix the issue! Well, I have my manual and a piece of confidence, so I'm going to rip it down myself and have a friend take a look after I get it to that point. From what I understand, if the exhaust valve doesn't slide out easy, it could be bent and thats what causing the issue. I figure also that it does need a piston and rings so I should keep breaking down the engine and get those issues resolved also. I figure worse case scenario, Me and my kid will get a hell of a education, and I don't plan on stopping any time soon with riding so....wish me luck!! Anyone with any helpful hints would be appreciated. I plan on disassembly this up coming weekend. Until next time...ride hard!!!!

Old 07-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

before you rip it down but new gaskets and oil valve seals also piston rings. the top piece of the motor does not have a gasket so you will need some liquid sealant also dont drop the timing chain down in the motor because you will have a very hard time getting it out if i were you after i took it apart i would get a bigger pistion about .30 or .40 over and send the thing out to get a little bore to it. after that you should be running great and you will get alot more compression out of it and more power. also get a pipe you will tell alot of difference get an FMF MegaMaxll or get a excellorator stagelll

(I have a 250x and it done the same thing so I changed alot it but the piston and because of that I was going to redo it all over again but i have a 1984 Xl 600r and i am going to take the motor out of it and put it in my 250x frame!!)

Trending Topics

Old 07-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

"i would get a bigger pistion about .30 or .40 over and send the thing out to get a little bore to it.

Agreed. Might as well be fresh when your'e done. Keep us posted.....