Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

My Rincon made it up Sand Mtn. at Little Sahara, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Rincon made it up Sand Mtn. at Little Sahara, Utah

Gads, What a sand pile. Just got home from riding in Utah. We spent almost a week at Little Sahara Sand Dunes climbing Sand Mtn. (700') and then down to Marysvale to ride some of the Piute Trails. This is a must place to go. If you ever get a chance to go to Utah, jump at it. What a beautiful state and the riding is unbelieveable. The Piute Trail system alone has over 2500 miles of trails. And Sand Mtn? If you like to ride the dunes, this is the place to go. I have never been out west to Glamis, but Little Sahara has to rank among the best. I was disappointed in the Rincon when I got there because it would only make it about half way up the big Sand Mtn. (700') About half way and I would have to turn around and come down. And that was a little scary for a flatlander. After some experimenting and some changes, the Rincon was able to make it to the top. I was running a 148 main jet and it was to rich but by removing the air box lid, it leaned it out about right. I had been trying to climb it in 2nd gear but just ran out of power. Next try was in 1st gear and 4 wheel drive and it pulled it just fine. I was very apprehensive about having to come back down. Thought I might just have to camp up there. That is some hill! Later in the week, I took the paddles off and put the stock tires back on the rear except turned them around and it even pulled it with the stock tires. Needless to say, I was much happier with the Rinny. When we went to Marysvale to ride the Piute trails, I left the 148 in and the lid off. It ran just fine. All of my trail riding was carrying my wife. We topped out Cottonwood Pass at 10,983' and it never missed a beat. Did have to ride the brakes at times coming down but never felt out of control. Base camp was about 5000' at Little Sahara and about the same in Marysvale. We also drove down to just above Bryce Canyon National Park and rode Casto Canyon which is an easy ride but well worth it. Brillant orange canyon walls. There was just to much to see and do in the short 2 weeks we had. All of you from Utah are so lucky. But, like "Arnold" says, "I'll be Back".

Old 06-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got the chance to come and visit. I hope you stayed at Moore's Old Pine In in Marysvale. Really nice place and the Innkeepers are the nicest, most hospitable people you will ever meet. Marysvale is about 2 1/2 hour drive from our house, we usually make the trip a severa times a year. We leave the travel trailer home and enjoy the Inn. The trails in Utah are endless. You barley got started.

Come and see us again.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. I love Utah. I've been taking bike trips there, twice a year if I can, since '89 now. I usually go to the SE Utah area. After running out of paved roads (dirt and ST1100's don't mix well), I began renting jeeps to get into the back country, or taking trips down the CO river. Every year there is something that I haven't seen, as well as my favorite old spots. Makes me want to pack up and leave right now.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

We stayed at Lizzie and Charlie's campground in Marysvale. Ron and Glenda are very nice people and very helpful in pointing us where to go. In all of our years of traveling, we have just never been to Utah other than a couple of times. I bought my travel trailer over the internet a couple of years ago from a guy in Salt Lake City and when we picked it up, I knew I had to go back.

Old 06-24-2004, 02:45 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

I am glad you found Utah. We are some lucky people to have the recreation opportunities here, that we have. Too many take it for granted.
Come back soon.

Old 06-25-2004, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you were at Lizzie and Charlies on a Saturday night and got to enjoy the BBQ.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

I wish I had of known about the Bar B Q. We could have been there on Sat. but just killed time at the dunes and didn't go until Sunday afternoon.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Ya gota love Utah!! I'm glad you had a good time. I'm heading out today after work to go to the High Uinta's (North Eastern Utah). We will be camping at about 9000', and then riding on every trail / old road we can find. Check out my pics.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Whitewater, what a great looking crew. I was just telling a friend that I wish I could afford to go back in Sept. to the ATV Jamberee. Maybe next year.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

I shy away from the Jamboree - too many people and too much dust.

Quick Reply: My Rincon made it up Sand Mtn. at Little Sahara, Utah