Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How does a fuel filter effect performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2000, 11:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting topic. Having read previous threads regarding the installation of an in-line filter I decided to make the addition as well. I visited my local Honda dealer and asked for an appropriate filter and was told " .... well, you can use this one but why would you want to? There is already a filter in the tank".

Good question, I thought.

Temp

Old 08-10-2000, 11:58 AM
Range Rover

There is somewhat of a filter in the tank. If you take it apart and look at it you will notice it is just a screen. Smaller particles will still come through. Most fuel filters will stop these smaller particles.

Old 08-12-2000, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

how would it add thirty to 40 hp.{the gerk}

Old 08-12-2000, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Installing a fuel filter is one of the best steps you can take towards preventive maintenance. As the others have already mentioned, it will prevent the smaller particles from clogging the jets in your carburator. There is no reason to spend a lot of money when you purchase one either. The type made for small engines that you can find in the Lawn and Garden Department at Wal-Mart will do an excellent job.

Old 08-12-2000, 08:24 PM
jts
Trailblazer

I hope you don't believe that IT GAVE YOU 40 HP. It does nothing performance wise. It just gets the big trash particles out of your gas.
JTS

Old 08-13-2000, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

All of you guys, better slow down. Why would you install an additional fuel filter if the manufacturer didn't? You think you're smarter than the guys that engineered your quad? OK! Not to argue the point. The filter on your equipment is the way it is because the manufacturer tested it and it works fine in normal use. Some times when we're out on the trail we get into situations where "normal use" has to be redefined. I, myself have buried my Suzuki KQ in water over the top and got out without an engine miss. But when this happens, you have to consider water entering the gas tank. Water is the engines worse enemy. A new filter will not contain migration of water. If you really want to do something to help your quad perform better without spending a bundle, invest in a good air filter, not the gas filter. Another problem is some of us live in subdivisions or some other area where we don't get to use our quads during, say winter, four to five months of the year. Condensation builds up inside the gas tank and "whal-la" there's water in the tank. You go out to start the quad in the spring and it won't, or the engine is missing like crazy. The gas filter will not help your problem, you have to use good sense to empty all the gas and put in fresh gas to get started. You guys kill me!
PS. To answer your original post, Deadeye, your fuel filter is fine the way it is. A second filter is not necessary.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 08-14-2000, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

I installed one on my 400ex after I had to take the carb apart twice to clean dirt out of my jets. I haven't had a problem with it since.

Old 08-14-2000, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

yah i believe that...come on, ahh nevermind,some people are just to easy.

Old 08-14-2000, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

How would you fall for a comment like that??

Old 08-14-2000, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

That's great JHall. Hopefully you won't have another problem with your quad and dirt in the fuel system. If you do, your filter will likely catch most of the dirt before it enters the carb. Did you think about how the dirt got into your tank in the first place?
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Quick Reply: How does a fuel filter effect performance?