Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Can't decide between 450R or Predator, Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide between 450R or Predator, Please Help!!

I'm getting one or the other but can't decide. I have only seen these atv's in brochures because the dealer doesn't have either of these in the showroom. I have a few questions that will help me make up my mind so I have to rely on people that have these quads to help me make a decision. I've never posted here before, but I have been reading this forum for a few years, so your help is appreciated.

The R is $600 more than the pred .... is it worth it since they are relatively close in power, is the Honda that much better?

How soft is seat on the R and Predator (which is the softest and largest). I do mostly trail riding and ride in sand pits for fun, i guess you could classify it as cross country ... not into jumping just long fast rides on winding off-roads and rough tight trails that are very technical ... so comfort and stability is a key concern.

What type of fuel economy do both have? I'd like to know how many miles or kms you typically get per tank including reserve.

In really rough terrain, where you have to stand up riding, which has the best handling characterictics?

Which is the best hillclimber?

Which has the best all around tires and rims? It's always the first thing I have to upgrade on all previous ATV's I've owned.

I also ride in winter, so if anyone has any experiences with either in cold winter conditions please feel free to elaborate.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am mainly a trail rider to and was going to buy one of the 2 450's, until I rode one on trails. So I bought the Z400 and have not looked back, you should consider this if comfort is a big issue.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a 450r and love it, but I have ridden a Predator. Maybe it's because I'm used to the 450R,but the seat on the Predator really pushes you forward and it made me feel like I was pushed too far up and over the pegs.
the Pred does have a nice smooth power delivery, it is quite a bit heavier than the 450R (60+ punds heavier).
I put a 13 tooth front sprocket on my 450 for trail riding since 1st is geared a little too high for good trail riding.
I think either one you choose will suit you. Too bad you can't sit on them, or test ride them to compare for yourself.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I would have to say the high gearing was my main complaint for trails, but like u said a sprocket change can fix.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can see that would be bad for you on the 450R would be the kick start as it is not as convenient as an electric. That said, you wouldnt have to worry about a dead battery out on the trail.

The 450 is more powerful, more comfortable, and more capable and it does it with a smaller engine and much less weight. Neither has reverse, so there is no issue there. I think that unless the monetary difference is too great for your budget to over come, you would be much happier with the Honda.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only commenting on what I know here. The Pred already has Douglas rims and Razors(or maybe Holeshots), a softer seat, and is wider/more stable. The seat is a little weird, though. The extra weight may not be worth it for you since there is no reverse. Both are great bikes, but the Honda has a bit more potential. I hate kickstarting bikes in the middle of winter, so my next purchase will have e start.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

If you ride trails consider the Z 400 it has electric start , reverse , a very comfy seat and with the money you save you can get a pipe and or some nerfs , not to mention they are very reliable... JMO

Trending Topics

Old 07-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

the pred is a good bike but i smoke them all time. i have two buds that ride preds and they have great suspension and brakes but for a 500 they could be faster.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

reliability should be a factor b/c hondas are buletproof and if starters are a prob. then get a freakin starter kit....wow...that was tough...

Old 07-08-2004, 01:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

Originally posted by: Red400EXRod
I have a 450r and love it, but I have ridden a Predator. Maybe it's because I'm used to the 450R,but the seat on the Predator really pushes you forward and it made me feel like I was pushed too far up and over the pegs.
the Pred does have a nice smooth power delivery, it is quite a bit heavier than the 450R (60+ punds heavier).
I put a 13 tooth front sprocket on my 450 for trail riding since 1st is geared a little too high for good trail riding.
I think either one you choose will suit you. Too bad you can't sit on them, or test ride them to compare for yourself.
The predator he road was ours. I have both now, one mine one hers. I wish the predator was mine even though the 450r is faster. The honda seat is harder but better, the E-start beats the honda. ????????????????????????? Like Rod said "to bad you can't ride both".

Quick Reply: Can't decide between 450R or Predator, Please Help!!