Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help!!! Need a new Quad!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2000, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2000 Polaris,
I have to agree with Gregisms on this one. The hole in the CV boot happens. Polaris, nor any other manufacturer is responsible for where the rider takes his quad. Really even a rider can't be held responsible... Who rides & looks for small sticks etc. You have to look ahead not down There is always going to be the chance of a boot tear with a 4WD quad.
As far as the gas consumption I'm not sure how bad is bad. I think mine does well especially considering the larger jet I added. As far as a 4 stroke yes they do usually get better gas mileage. But look at it like this. You are comparing it to a 300EX. Your quad is 500+lbs, 4WD & a big 2 stroke motor. The 300EX is going to use less gas. I run a 260 jet (stock was 230), while my friend with a piped 300EX runs like a 160 jet. Gives you some idea of the reason why you use more gas. But if the quad is only 2 months old & you feel it is using too much have it checked out.
Now as far as the belt. If you have not tinkered with anything or burnt the belt by abusing it (pulling a heavy load etc.) you sure do have a worthy complaint. Maybe it was shimed wrong from the factory or something. It just sounds like the clutch isn't getting a good squeeze on the belt. At 2 months old I would be at the dealer complaining. Try & fix the problems while they are under warranty. Even if it is so the next guy doesn't have the same problems when it is out of warranty. With that said I think the 400EX is an awesome quad. The only problem I noticed my brother had with his in water was when you would drive into it fast it would want to sputter & stall for some reason. But if you went in easy it was OK. Plus slippery creek banks were more "challenging" on the 400EX than on the Scrambler. But the 400EX is diffently a blast to ride. Real fast & real easy to ride. Dare I say as easy to ride as an auto. It really is that easy to ride.
c-ya,
ps> Loctite all the bolts on the 400EX, alot of my brothers fell out. His tire even came off after the first 15 minutes of riding !

Old 08-11-2000, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It dazzles me as to why this guys 2 month old quad is not back at the dealership for warrenty repairs.You MIGHT even get Polaris to cover the boot under warrenty.It happend to me once on my Sportsman,the dealer did get them to replace it.

It also sounds like you do indeed try and take care of your new quad.I'd tell you to get it back into the dealership for warrenty work.If your new car were not funtioning correctly after 2 months,would you not bring it back in for warrenty work?Give the dealership a try,than if it dont work out,perhaps you'd have a reason to complain.====Bill

Old 08-11-2000, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

I appreciate the responses that had something to do with the topic.

Old 08-11-2000, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Your question was bout the 400ex. It is awesome and it will probably serve you well as long as you don't stay in mud and deep water. Just remember that when it runs out of gas and the headlight goes out, it will also be junk and I will buy it off of you. hahahahaha

Greg

Old 08-12-2000, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

gregsims, one step at a time. you need to buy my scrambler before you can buy my future 400EX

Old 08-12-2000, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

I ride with a 400ex its a good machine. It has a top speed in the mid 60's. No experiences with a Scrambler. The 400ex should be a little better on gas since its a 4 stroke. I don't know what kind of gas mileage a 400ex gets.

What kind of gas mileage are you looking for? My 4x4 Rancher gets around 25mpg & a Yamaha grizzly gets 18 mpg, my kids 2 stroke E-ton 90 gets over 50mpg?

Old 08-12-2000, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

How much?????

Greg

Old 08-12-2000, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

2000Polaris I'm glad to see you have seen the light! just take your scrambler down and trade it for a 2001 yellow 400ex....you will love it!!!!!!! water isn't a problem unless you plan on gettin it handler bar deep....I'm had my front fenders under water before(I don't do that anymore) without any problems......you probably won't find anything that you dislike about it. just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2000, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Take it to the dealer ,good point on the car thing, I know people who have major problems with there 30,000 dollar cars and don't get to up set but when there 5000 four wheeler has a problem the whole world is ending and the company should be burned to the ground. A 400ex is a nice machine and really you should be happy with what you own. If the 400 is not what you need then buy something else.

Old 08-12-2000, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

snowshark, my scrambler gets 10 mpg! Now thats pitiful. I know it has a high performance 2-stroke, but it's just not fun when I have to turn back on a long ride while everyone else keeps going. The sad thing is that it has a 4 gallon tank and yet I still come up short. I know I should have thought of that before I bought it, but I had no clue it was that bad.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Need a new Quad!