Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

IRS help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS help

Hey, I need info on ANY type of IRS. I need to make one for a project, and need some help. Are The shafts between the joints solid on all quads? I mean there not two piece splined sections to allow plunge when the suspension moves up and down? I think any IRS would have to have a means of accomodating changing driveshaft length with suspension travel, Im assuming since the shaft between joints is solid, that this is done where they slide into the diff, just like a car transmission. I posted this in the "project quads" section, but didnt get the answers i needed.

Basically I've seen some setups (on rails) that used ag-grade U-joints, a solid shaft between joints, and a keyed shaft in the middle( where the diff is on quads). Im wondering if they are just leaving the upper u-joints loose, as in not using a set-screw so it can move in and out slightly as the suspension travels.

Hope this makes sense, Thanks in advance

Old 07-17-2004, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default IRS help

surely someone has replaced CV joints on a quad or something that could give some input?????

Old 07-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default IRS help

The shaft has to able to change it's length unless the a-arm pivot points are concentric to the shaft pivot points.