Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

alarming stat, is it true ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2000, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the local polaris dealer yesterday and the salesman told me that polaris has outsold Honda by 27 % in ATV sales. He continued by saying that polaris is by far the hottest selling ATV on the market. I know that polaris has a strict following of people but outselling Honda by that much ? Just wanted to know if its just salesman talk or is there any truth to this.

Old 08-13-2000, 05:02 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

seems all my friends have them, so maybe! I hate rideing with them, plug fouling, smoke everywere, noisy..

Old 08-13-2000, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't doubt that a bit. Polaris has a lot of different types of quads and a lot of people, especially beginners, like the automatic tranny. I see a lot of them as well.

Old 08-13-2000, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

Again, I'll use automobiles as an example....since the Ford Taurus is/was the best selling auto, does that make it the best?? No. I agree that the automatic tranny is the major selling point for Polaris. Only my .02.

Old 08-13-2000, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I am a Polaris fan myself, and would love it if Polaris pulled the #1 spot. But as far as I know, Honda is still leading in sales. You must remember that you heard this from a dealer. I would say almost all of the dealers out there will tell you anything to make a deal.

Old 08-13-2000, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

After talking to HONDU salesman awhile back,it could have been any,but just happen to be HONDU guy that day.He was so full of it,it was pitiful,I pretended to know very little(although I'm sure there are some on here that are sure I wasn't pretending)so I'd sure not put any stock in it.Don't you think if they out sold 27% that you would have heard it from polaris on the front pages of every paper in the country.HONDA is very large company with very loyal following.Just for those who don't know I'm faithful POLARIS fan.CM

Old 08-13-2000, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

I was at the Badlands in Attica Indiana yesterday, and mentiioned to my buddies, that it sure didn't look like Honda was #1. Polaris EVERYWHERE. It may be the type of riding thats done there as well. I believe that in the utility market, Honda is probably still #1.

I think that Polaris has an advantage with the staggering number of different models available. Honda is pretty limited. There are still alot of 2 stroke fans out there, and Honda has nothing to offer.

All the mfg's have thier weeknesses. I went with Polaris because of the all wheel drive, one lever breaking, and lastly, the automatic. Turns out that two of these are the things that I DON'T LIKE. There are times when I'd like to use only the front brake. I don't have that option. There are also times when I want to make a big splash in the water. If I hit the water hard, the belt WILL slip. All the other Polaris owners that say their belts don't slip, tell me how you do it. The belt drive works remarkably well in any other situation. Deep water is no problem, if you ease into it.

Dave

Old 08-13-2000, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

umm im j/w cause this is what ive heard but when u go in water with an auto arnt u supose 2 stay on the gas and not let off because if u do then the water will get in th vent thingy and make the belt slip i dont know much about the autos but thats my 2 cents

Old 08-13-2000, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

Polaris sells are up. There bikes do not last more than 3 years then you have to buy a new one. It is like a Bic lighter's use it till it breaks then throw it away. I do not see many old Polaris's, Suzuki's or Kawasaki still moving just Honda's.
Think about it.

Old 08-14-2000, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

As far as I know, Honda is still #1 in sales. I remember reading somewhere that Honda sells more than 50% of the ATV's sold. I do see a lot more Polaris machines on trailrides than I see any others. But I can tell that Honda's new machines are really getting them sales, as I see tons of 400EX's on every ride. Last year there was a state ride at the local ATV Park where I live. There were 4 400EX's on the motocross track at the same time. I think if Honda wouldn't have started updating their models, their sales would be way down there by Suzuki's.

Quick Reply: alarming stat, is it true ?