Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

CR500 hard to start, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CR500 hard to start, any tips?

I just bought a 86 CR500, this thing is a pain in the *** to start (i know most are since its a big engine)

Is there a way to check, if the top end needs to be rebuilt?

Where can i get a carb. rebuilt kit? What carburator should this bike have? (currently has a PJ Keihin)

Once the bike is started, it stays on, and runs decently. Has a bunch of low and mid RPM power, then it seems to die, then it comes to life again (like a whole new gear) at the top end.

I am 5"11 200 pounds, and even with all my weight, i cant get this bike started.... well i can but every now and then, and after a few kicks it gets flooded, i am usually forced to push start it.

Old 07-31-2004, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

First, check your spark plug it may need to be replaced. Next check your reeds and see if they are in good shape. I read in my mag that if a 2-stroke is hard to start it is most likely the reeds. I don't know about how to tell if it needs to be ported and polished, when was the last time you had that done? Hope this helped.

Old 07-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

Hey

You must be new to the wonderful world of two strokes, first off cr500's are tanks, it is so hard to use all that power nothin ever goes in the bottom end unless you are a freaking crazy rider. As for it needing a hone, it probably does. I would just get compression tester see how much it has and if it holds it. I think 120 lbs and above is good and below is well not so good. If you have low compression take the jug in to a motor machine shop like carquest er something and ask about how much it would cost fer a hone. Get that done buy a new piston (unless the other piston is still perfectly round, check it with micrometer) then just get rings and you are ready to put the world behind you. Don't kill yerself on that thing, when she gets up on the pipe with that new hone hold on because she'll go!!!

If the bike is nickcle which it might be, I am not 100% sure you can hone it, my buddies dad says you can and he is a carquest machinest, you might want to look into a re nickcle but that can be expensive, the cylinder maybe fine and it just needs rings and/or a piston just check or get checked with internal micrometer!!

Have fun

No Wing No Prayer

Old 07-31-2004, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced the spark plug when i bought the bike, gapped it at 25 (i believe thats what the shop told me). NGK one.

How can i check the reeds to see if they need to be replaced? can you visibly see them damaged?
I just bought the bike, last month, from the original owner, i was told the top end was gone over around 8 years ago, not sure how much use was given to it during that time though.

I did a compression test right now, well i used my car compression tester (can i use that?) i gave it 5 hard kicks, 145, some where 140, some 150, over all most 145 (tested it about 5 times, my foots hurts now lol).

BTW i know its probably real real stupid of me, but i bought this as my first bike, price was right =/. Rode it for about 10 hours so far, havent dropped it, but damn its powerfull (i respect the power and no way in hell will i go all out on it).

Old 07-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Forgot to mention,

this bike is dead stock, down to the pipe.