Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

sand &water in engine 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2000, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP!!!! after a day of hard riding through mostly sand and then a little water i discovered i forgot to put on the outerwear over the k&n filter (o crap )how did i discover this,the bike behind me was all of a sudden being smoked out.Upon arrival back at the ranch i found water in the crank case oil (o **** )also a steady stream of silt through the air box ,filter carburator and intake. question has anybody else done this and what was the damage.P.S.were tearing it down tonight.

400ex,white bros.e series k&n filter outer wear k&n jet kit (165 main )nacs seat

Old 08-16-2000, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

You say there is alot of signs that sand and water entered the engine..... As you probably know...Do not try to start it.... I would drain the oil...and cooler tank. Definately tear down the carb and clean throughly...
If you have the tools and ability...I would probably even pull the head and check what kind of damage you did..(make sure the valves are seated) Dirt in the cylinder can lead to really fast wear.... If your not going to tear the engine down, I would say to change your oil many times until it is clear and not milky from the water.

Old 08-16-2000, 02:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sorry to hear about your trouble....I hate the K & N filter philosophy...buy the expensive filter and then have to buy a filter for the filter.

Old 08-16-2000, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Dear Wideopen, after a long day of riding at the Walden dunes in northern Co. my 400ex stopped with a clanking noise. Long story short- fried crank , sand in the cylinder head. I also have a k&n filter(with outerwear)and a white bro pipe. The dealership had no explanation for these conditions and the jacka$$ for honda care said it would not be covered under warranty.How much you ask? $2000. My bike was not a year old. I sincerely hope you have much better luck. Thanks Honda care.

Old 08-16-2000, 04:38 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

K&N are awesome performance but I personly have seen many engines wasted due to dust and sand getting threw the well oiled K&N including a 96' Ford Powerstroke diesel that sucked dust costing $5,000.00 in damage! As for your engine, the blue smoke says it all, most likley a wasted top end. I would do what sAyIt_fmf said. If the oil changes dont help a new bore job and a fresh top end is headed your way... heck may as well get the big bore kit, same cost

Old 08-16-2000, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Let's see.... You blame Honda for your aftermarket filter allowing sand into the engine, thus causing severe engine damage?

How would you feel if you were an engine builder and one of your clients had you build him an expensive engine, took it to the dunes, sucked sand, then came back to you yelling that he wanted you to build him a new engine. Homey don't think so...

I do not see where Honda is at fault in your case. If I were the Honda rep, I would not have warrantied your engine either...

Old 08-16-2000, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

i don't have an outer wear on my K&N and i've never encountered this.

Maybe i should invest in a Uni now!

Old 08-16-2000, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Dear Gabby, I don't know why I did not consult you first concerning aftermarket performance parts. Have you ever felt that your genius is being wasted in these forums.Well ,I am putting my bike back to stock after reading your insightful analogy. I think Honda is lucky to have such a great fan as yourself. Do you smoke a pipe while you write in these forums?

Old 08-16-2000, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm, your insults are both clever and revealing. Makes your complaint no less stupid.

Old 08-16-2000, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

good point gabe..

however, 1 question: What are K&N's good for then??? allowing more air in??? are they better in wet conditions??? so installing a 40 dollar K&N with no holes in the airbox allows just as much as as a stock filter with no lid???? hmmm....
should i get rid of my K&N??? i usually ride in dusty conditions.. never sand tho..

Quick Reply: sand &water in engine 400ex