Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450R Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004 | 07:34 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 450R Problems?

I am looking at purchasing a new 450R tomorrow, and was wondering what problems everyone has experienced? It has been awhile since I have owned a Honda, but all the ones I did were almost bulletproof. With a family now, I don't want a money pit, so any info would be appreciated. The main riding I will do is trails and some harescrambles. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-13-2004 | 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450R Problems?

They seem to be great!

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450R Problems?

no problems ive heard of, so its prolly bulletproof like ur others [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2004 | 11:01 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default 450R Problems?

Do a search on how to start the bike. Once you have the drill down, it is no big deal. http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...&keyword1=kick

Get the HRC kit!

Only thing I don't like is the rear shock rebound is valved to fast. Even with the damping turned all the way in, it is still to fast. I will be getting it revalved as soon as I have time to pull it off. It's not just mine. Every one I see, I push on the rear, and it pops back up way to fast.

Old 08-13-2004 | 11:05 PM
Range Rover
Default 450R Problems?

Of course this has been talked about before, but i never see a real exact response. How is the rebuild on the bikes, a lot of folks say rebuild on the top end is necessary after so many hours, im wondering how true it is? I had a 400ex and had over 500 hours on it, didnt need a single thing. Does the 450R need rebuilt on the top end often, if so, how many hours approximately?

Old 08-13-2004 | 11:29 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default 450R Problems?

You are giving up something here, to get ultimate performance! These engines are high RPM revers. The CRF250 for example, does 13,000 rpm. At that speed, the piston goes up and down 200 TIMES PER SECOND! Of course the thing is going to wear out faster!!! And, that's a pancake piston.

I know lots of guys with CRF450, who go 100 hrs without a top end. But, you want to do it before you have to! I am planning on 100 hrs., whether it needs it or not.

Old 08-14-2004 | 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default 450R Problems?

honda added a 3rd ring to the piston to make it more reliable and to not have to rebuild it as often. maybe i missed it, but i didnt see a mention of a suggested rebuild hours in my owners manual. (if i am just nuts, then someone please tell me what page).

so, if some guys are getting 100 hrs on a crf, it wil be longer than that with the trx- as the trx engine is not as high revving, has less compression, different valve timing... in other words, isnt tuned as hot but still needs more attention than a 400ex.

i dont think it will be a money pit - just take care of it and get an extended warranty for added protection (of course if it is proven that YOU destroyed it - you have to pay) b/c with higher performance comes higher performance parts and that means more $$$ if it screws up.

BTW i havent had any problems with mine. front shocks are excellent. rear rebound does seem a little fast but i think i adjusted it out..maybe!

the best thing to remember with a 450r is this: NEVER touch the gas when you start it.

Old 08-14-2004 | 01:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default 450R Problems?

Originally posted by: reconranger
I know lots of guys with CRF450, who go 100 hrs without a top end. But, you want to do it before you have to! I am planning on 100 hrs., whether it needs it or not.
If I remember correct, I the 450R manual says 100 hours for the oil change interval. I can't imaging needing the whole top end then. I also thought I read somewhere that the TRX piston is taller than the CRF which would dramatically reduce the piston rocking responsible for the early cylinder wear.

Old 08-21-2004 | 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450R Problems?

well if ride on tracks with other people and its kinda rocky like little round stones or something like where i live.. the positioning and shape of the light is just asking to be broken by someones roost. but thats no biggie. just a thought

Old 08-21-2004 | 04:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450R Problems?

i've had my 450r for almost 6 months and i've had no problems. i tend to hit pretty big jumps with flat landings so i'm replacing the front shocks, but that's it. if u like to hear your quad or want a lil bit of power increase, get the HRC kit. i pay a lot of attention to how my bike sounds, so making the exhaust a little bit louder helps me with riding, and it added some power. there's no reason that you should have to re-build your top end after 100 hours. break in time is about 20 hours or so, and then you change the oil. at 100 hours you change the oil again (i do it about every 50 hours, i tend to be hard on engines). it seems to me that re-building the top end after 100 hours is a lot of work for only 12-14 full days of riding. that would mean almost every month i'd have to re-build my top end! that's gonna get expensive, i mean, u figure like $50 each time u do it jus for oil and gaskets, then u need all the other parts. i'd say get some nerf bars, the HRC kit, and a smaller front sprocket and you'll be fine. new handlebars will probably be needed if your an agressive rider ( i bent mine jumping and i never fell or anything, just hard landings).

Quick Reply: 450R Problems?