Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

just when i thought i couldn't be more irritated....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just when i thought i couldn't be more irritated....

i get my pipe today and realize i need to get a bigger pilot jet. i go to the dealer ship and ask for one. what they give me (after confirming this through a cylmers) was a slow jet. they say there is no difference between a slow jet and a pilot jet. i say im looking right at the clymers manual and my carb and they are two different screws in two different locations. they say im wrong and so is clymers. they say that the pilot screw cannot be adjusted. you cannot buy different sizes. help!!!! i need to go up a size bigger (to a 42) and noone knows what they are talking about. lets confirm this for my own sake. the pilot jet controls fuel flow from idle to 1/4 throttle?

look at the pic in my bio

they say that i can buy a "screw set" for $20. they say that is the closest thing they know of what im talking about.

the more info you can give me about this the better.

thanks

nevermind i'm still pending approval for the bio. i don't think its necessary anyhoo, you all know what a pilot jet and slow jet look like (unless you work for the dealership)

Old 08-18-2004, 09:39 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/pilotjet.html

Old 08-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

hey man go to denniskirk.com and call there technical line if you want to know what to change too and they sell them there also they expensive at all

Old 08-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/pilotjet.html

wait, i can't take out the pilot screw while the carb is on? it's right behind the idle adjustment bracket and i can take it out....

Old 08-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kingofthemudholes
hey man go to denniskirk.com and call there technical line if you want to know what to change too and they sell them there also they expensive at all

thanks man another good reliable place to call and confirm stuff is always good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

no problem they have always helped me out when im in a bind hey if therese anything else i can help you out just tell me ill do what ever i can

Old 08-19-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

raptor legs

am i going to have to take off the bowl to remove the pilot? im not really understanding why i cant just unscrew it while the carb is on...l

Old 08-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

Yes a pilot jet and a slow jet are the same thing. In your photo what they sold you is what you need. The screw to the left is a pilot screw and you can not get a bigger size, you only can adjust the screw in or out to make an adjustment. Just look at the jet they gave you and make sure it has 42 stamped on it and if it does put it in. Also put the pilot screw back in and carefully screw it back in till it seats, but do not use a lot of force. Now unscrew it 3 turns out from dead bottom and your done. Also you have to remove the bowl to put the slow jet (pilot jet) in. Hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kbass
Yes a pilot jet and a slow jet are the same thing. In your photo what they sold you is what you need. The screw to the left is a pilot screw and you can not get a bigger size, you only can adjust the screw in or out to make an adjustment. Just look at the jet they gave you and make sure it has 42 stamped on it and if it does put it in. Also put the pilot screw back in and carefully screw it back in till it seats, but do not use a lot of force. Now unscrew it 3 turns out from dead bottom and your done. Also you have to remove the bowl to put the slow jet (pilot jet) in. Hope this helps.
the deal with getting a bigger pilot is this; i cannot really tell a difference in idle speed when adjusting it. i set the idle a little high (even tried it with a little low) and starting turning the screw out 1/4 turns and in 1/4 turns. either way it made no difference unless i screwed it all the way in ( then it started to want to die).

now, what i been told, is that if you have to turn it out more than 3 turns, you should get a bigger one. i'm assuming that i'm not seeing an increase in idle because i haven't been turning it out enough.

pilot jet and slow jet are the same thing as in they are just another word or the other or they perform the same function and just one can be adjusted?

i don't think i can be anymore confused on this....

the flat-blade brass screw behind the idle-adjustment bracket is what my clymers calls the pilot screw. it is for adjusting fuel passage from idle to 1/4 throttle. the slow jet is something that a lot of places say you usually don't need to mess around with. AARRRGHHHH!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

OK, the screw thingy the dealer sold you is the pilot SCREW and isn't meant to be changed, just adjusted by turning it in or out. The other thing on the right in your picture is the pilot JET, sometimes referred to as the slow jet and is meant to be changed when off-idle to about a quarter throttle jetting is off. If you turn the pilot SCREW out 3 turns and the motor is still lean then you need to go to a larger pilot JET. Once you go to a bigger pilot jet you may need to adjust the pilot SCREW again. Hope this clears things up for ya.

Quick Reply: just when i thought i couldn't be more irritated....