Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HONDA RANCHER OWNERS ??? does your fan come on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 05:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HONDA RANCHER OWNERS ??? does your fan come on?

Mine comes on when needed and as it was intended, when the engine is too hot...slow riding on hot days...using it as a work horse pulling a utility trailer, or when riding up long steep hills.
I would rather have it when it is needed, than not have it at all.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

if you look at all the honda ATV's in the past, none have cooling fans, and few with oil coolers,,, yet THEY WERE FINE.... i live in vermont and not a desert.... i think my ATV will be just fine....... and the airflow to engine is much better....... i often put my hand to around the engine lately and it is not unduly hot.......... so pretty much i dont think the cooling fan will go back in.........for a little while my engine seemed to be running a bit lean.... so i moved my needle clip 1 step richer..... now that makes the engine run cooler........ i was not and am not impressed with the honda fan, as mine was either broke,,,, or not needed as it never came on..........

Old 09-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

my fan comes on...have you ever ridden it long enough to need the extra cool down?...

Old 09-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

my rancher 4x4 would rarely come on after about 2-3 hours of str8 riding i would park it in nutral and it would come on and stay on i recomend u put it back in bc my recon never had 1 and it needed it badly did u buy the quad new?

Old 09-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

that fan puts out an impressive amount of air, i can guarantee you that having the fan run does much better then clearing up the airflow, that fan isn't that restrictive anyways, my buddy has a 03 2x4 that didn't come with a fan, his when going slow gets much much hotter then mine does with the fan running

Old 09-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes i bought the quad new, and it came on once or twice and then never again.... my rancher is a 2001, i put a K&N filter and a jet kit in carb, also put a supertrap ISDE exhaust.... and a warn 424 unlocker so as can also be a 2 wheel drive..... today i did some very slow technical rock climbing.....the motor ran a little hotter due to this uphill rutty climb that was over 1/2 hour of continous riding at slow sped uphill... very rutty tough conditions..... i was keeping not of the temp.... mind you with my hand feeling heat..... i think the fan would have been a beneefit in this situation... but not totally neccessary....i may or may not put it back in... if i do i will wirw it direct to come on when i want it.... as i think it must have been broke, simply because it never came on... only once or twice when i first bought it...... i do however run some marvel mystery oil both in gas and oil.... and incase you did'nt know this stuff works great ... and makes it run a bit cooler.... i also just did the final adjustment to carb making the needle jet one clip richer than the jet kit reccomendations...that was meant for the supertrap and filter i am running.... the hoda purrs like a kitten.... but if i notice things getting a bit hot ((( MIND YOU THIS WILL ONLY HAPPEN))) when i am climbing VERY STEEP RUTTY muddy TRAILS that have to be done at low speed for extended peiods of time...... normal trail riding with hills and such... i believe i would never need the fan with my motor tuned the way it is..... for now i will leave the fan out.... but with the riding i did today exploring the area, and it's very technical tough uphill rutty trails... THAT WERE EXTREMELY tough demanding very slow technical riding...... i amy put the fan back in the future.... but definatly not til next summer......... appreciate the feedback..........

Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda TRX 350 Rancher Cooling fan problem solved

You can put a 200ohm resister in the control wire and the fan will come on much sooner and keep it alot cooler. The control wire is on the right side with all of the other connectors. it is a singal black male female connector.you will need to conect one end of the resistor to the control wire and ground the other end. Works great.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

if your ridin fast it wont caus you got air flowin

Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Yup...

Especially when I'm climbing. Putting on 3,000 feet in a couple of miles has mine running a lot!

100 Proof

Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

For those people witha Honda rancher and want the fan to come on sooner to be on the safe side youcan place a 200 ohm resister in the wire that goes to the engine oil temp sensorby the gear shifting rod.The fan will come on if you ground the wire to the frame but the hot light comes on to. It is a two stage sensor . place one end of the resister in the sensor wire and the other end to ground, this will start the fan about 100 degrees sooner.

Quick Reply: HONDA RANCHER OWNERS ??? does your fan come on?