Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HONDA RANCHER OWNERS ??? does your fan come on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it doesn't come on , check the fuse.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:41 PM
rough rider
Default honda shifting problems

im new to the group and in need of some help. i have a 05 honda trx350 rancher .some days it will shift fine from the buttons but if it sits for a few days in will not shift from the up and down buttons. it shifts manulaly all the time fine. i hatwe to spend money with out knowing the answer any ideas would be very helpful thanks a lot mark b

Old 09-13-2015, 03:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

You would be better starting a new thread for this and there are lots of postings on here about ES problems. When the fault comes on, before trying manual shift, the gear indicator on the dash should blink a certain number of times, this number is a code which, in theory tells you what the fault is.

There are two common faults, the shift motor, it can be lots of things with that, dirty or oily inside, magnets dropped off, worn bearings or worn out brushes. The other common fault is a faulty angle sensor, in theory you can check this with a resistance meter but I have a spare so just try substitution, if it doesn't cure the problem, the old one goes back on and I look elseware for the fault. However to save money, if you can do it yourself, go for checking the motor. There is a link to a video on how to do this somewhere on this site. Although fitting is slightly different, all ES Hondas use similar motors.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:10 AM
rough rider

Dear Merryman I thank you for your help. i opened up the shifter pod on the handlebars. After opening up the buttons that makes it shift up and down it began to work fine but i never saw anything on the dash .it is stuck on kh instead of mph it does show the clock and speed in kh/not mph/ the fan does come on. I do not nor never have seen it say what gear your in . I am very new to this machine . My son brought it home after it was sitting out side for six years. I replaced the carb and rebuilt the starter and it runs like it should.i am not very learned in quads this is my first . im 59 years old and have builts hundreds of cars. Now my days are on a quad. again i thank you for you time and ideas and will test what you question. truly yours mark b

Old 09-13-2015, 09:21 AM
rough rider

Mr Merryman I am far from computer smart/ real old school my phone does not even have a camara and have text messaged ten times at the most. Are you suggesting i rewrite the problem on the site i wrote before i will if if you think it will help. thanks again i hope you have a great week coming up. mark b

Old 09-14-2015, 01:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I guess you have put it here now so it may be best to leave it as it is.

Which gear it is in should be displayed in the bottom left hand corner of the digital display, I guess six years of disuse must have caused it to fail.

Faulty buttons is the next most common cause of problems after a faulty motor, but you usually get only one button not working properly and it tends to be intermittent, i.e, it may work if you press it again or hold your finger on it for a few seconds, for both to fail at the same time is uncommon, so it may be a wire that feeds power to the buttons rather than the buttons themselves.