Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Advice on second quad - Kodiak 45 vs Rancher 400AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on second quad - Kodiak 45 vs Rancher 400AT

Hey guys. I know a few have helped and offered advice on my other thread, but I'm narrowing down my choices here.

I'm trying to decide on a second quad, something with 4x4 and in the 400-500 cc range. I'm looking at the new 04/05 honda rancher 400AT and the new 05 kodiak 450. The way I see it, each has some advantages and disadvantages-

Honda Pros:
Great reliability
Solid auto trans - no belts to worry about slipping or getting wet
Very stable and low center of gravity for hills
Ability to switch between auto and ESP shift mode

Honda Cons:
Supposedly 'decent' power, although I haven't ridden one
Firm ride
No locking front diff
No low range

Yamaha Pros:
Good power
IRS for comfy trail rides
Locking front diff
Low range? I'm not sure if it has one or not?
Supposedly tippy on off cambers
Belt cover allowing water in/belt slip

The transmission on the Kodiak is my biggest deterrent. I've read more than a few posts about kodiak owners taking in water when it's deep, and having to drain their belt cover etc. This does not sound like fun, I'd much prefer manual gears or a solid auto than having to deal with water in there. I know on my prairie the stock snorkels are up very high, under the handlebars. I've since extended them even higher, but previously I could go into water over the racks and never get any in the belt drive/have slippage. I'd want the same capability or better if I had to choose a belt drive unit. I'm just a little hesitant to go the rancher route because some people have commented that they ride rough, and of course the lack of low range/locker. Primarily though, this will be an atv for a friend or girlfriend to ride, and it won't be going through as much super deep or nasty stuff as I would with the prairie.

Any thoughts or other pro's cons of the two would be appreciated!!

Old 09-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Your last senstance says enough, " Primarily though, this will be an atv for a friend or girlfriend to ride, and it won't be going through as much super deep or nasty stuff as I would with the prairie."
Ive had my kodiak in water up to the headlights and didnt get the belt wet. Not many newbies go in up to the headlights, they usually scare off before that. And if ater gets in, no biggie, just drag it to shore and drain the case...and run in in nuetral for a few minutes at 2000 rpm to dry things out.
I think youre going to need to ride one of each, to see for yourself what youre looking for, and how tippy each feels. Lots of guys have beltdrive, and dont worry about getting wet, its not like 5 years ago when covers didnt seal and intakes were leaky and low.
Either one will work out fine.
Id lean towards the yami....bigger motor, low range, locking diff, irs for smooth ride, and taller ground clearance.

Old 09-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply. I must say though in response to your comment, there WILL be times that the quad will have to go in some really deep water and mud, and 'dragging it to shore' and messing with the belt is not something I really want to deal with. Water over the headlights is nothing down there...you'll see your racks and seat go under here and there in spots, and thats riding along the edge. Some of the trails are a few miles of 2-3 foot deep water. It's a toss up...the kodiak will do better with its low gear and locker, but the rancher wouldn't have the trans issues.

Does anyone know where the snorkels are on the rancher, or how it does in deep water?

Old 09-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Whenever the 500cc utility atvs are mentioned two quads stand out: Honda Foreman 500 & Suzuki Vinson 500. You can get them both in manual shift. I've heard that Vinson is the fastest 500cc utility quad.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I should say under 500 cc, I really want a lighter machine thats easier for a small girl to whip around..

Old 09-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

When you go to the dealer to check them out, bring a tape measure. Im sure the air intake on the kodiak is higher , than the air snorkle on the rancher. So the kodiak could probably go thru deeper water than the honda...on a stock vs stock basis. Either of them can be fitted with snorkles that extend the depth they can go.
In your travels, out in the swamp, have you ever seen any belt drives? Any of them been dead on the side of the road?

Old 09-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hondabuster, yes, where I ride in the water there are from time to time folks with belt drives sitting there not able to move whatsoever due to water in the belt compartment. When I first installed my snorkels and one part wasn't tightened correctly, I got a little in my prairie belt cover, and wasn't able to move for a while until it dried out. It's definitely an issue. If the honda has only one snorkel for air intake, thats a lot easier to extend up than three. I will say though, when anyone sees my prairie it's the first thing they ask - what are those three big pipes?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] With this second quad though, I'd prefer to leave it stock.

I'm still so torn. It seems the Kodiak has better features all around - IRS, more power, locker, low range, better clearance, normal sized tires/rims, etc, but it has that darn belt drive. The rancher on the other hand has no low range, solid axle, no locker, and meager power compared, but has the solid trans....arghh!

Old 09-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If it helps.. The only way the belt will slip on my kodiak is when it comes in the intake. The rest is sealed up very well. And I went to the local Honda /Yami dealer, and just seeing them side by side, its easy to see the kodiaks intakes are much higher than the ranchers. So the Kodiak, stock vs the honda stock, will go deeper. And it appears the intake for the belt is higher than the intake for the motor on the kodiak too.
I usually find that the quad will want to float, or at least get very light feeling when going thru the deep stuff, how do you handle that? Do you go way back on the seat, to keep the back tires pushing, or do you lean forward to keep the front pulling? Just curious.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the info hondabuster, I haven't had the chance to see them side by side, or the new kodiak in person at all. As far as getting through that deep water and getting floaty goes, when I had my stock snorkels on the prairie, I'd lean back a tad so the handlebar area would stay out of the water. Now I have snorkels that extend about a foot higher than the bars so I just sit on it and hit the gas =]

Old 09-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Lightman, I would think the kodiak 450 would be better in any type of riding.

1.more power
2. IRS
3. Locking front diff
4. Yes low range

Quick Reply: Advice on second quad - Kodiak 45 vs Rancher 400AT