Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Looking for ATV best 1 to get Honda Yamaha???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV Honda Yamaha

I am looking to buy a new ATV, i am looking for one that is at the top of the line performance but is also very reliable. I am looking for either a Honda TRX450R or a Yamaha, Banshee, Raptor, YFZ. I dont know which 1 is the most reliable but still 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in performance???

Old 09-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Looking for ATV best 1 to get Honda Yamaha???

Keep in mind that I have no first-hand experience with any of these machines except the Raptor. I do, however, pay close attention to reviews, shootouts and discussions almost everywhere in the ATV world (no, not just the mags). I think you will find most of my information to be pretty much on par with what others will tell you. The good thing about my perspective is that it is unbiased as I do not own any of these models. It's hard to rate the quads you've listed in order of performance because you haven't really said what type of riding you will be doing. If you can specify what types of riding you usually do, I can help you out a little bit better. The two most overall high-performance ATVs in that list are the TRX450R and YFZ450. Neither of which is going to be as reliable as say, a 400EX or Z/KFX/DVX400 (all same quad originally made by Suzuki, which I will refer to from here on out as a Z400). The Banshee and Raptor are some of the most radical quads ever made. The Banshee exhibits probably the greatest 2-stroke ATV powerplant in the business as of recently. Very strong, hard-hitting powerband. However, the handling and suspension is outdated compared to the other machines and I for one don't consider 2-strokes to be as forgiving maintanance-wise as a 4-stroke, but that's purely my opinion against anothers. The Raptor 660 is one of the premier big-bore sport machines. Of the 3 current big-bore sport quads in existence; the Kawasaki KFX700, Bombardier DS650 and Raptor, it probably has the best handling out of the box. It has a powerful, torquey 4-stroke engine and seems to be pretty reliable for the most part, however, because of a higher center of gravity, the stock handling suffers compared to the 450R, YFZ or Z400. The new 450s are made specifically with racing in mind and are not the most reliable machines out there. Yes the power is very good, yes the suspensions are great and yes, the handling on both is excellent. However, SUPPOSEDLY the engines in these machines do not go very long at all compared to the slightly milder 400-class machines as far as intervals between top-end rebuilds. They are not the best trail machines out of the box either as they have an almost 2-stroke like power curve which is easy to stall for the rider who is "babying it", with the 450R being the smoother-powered of the two. Enter the Suzuki Z400 and Honda 400EX. GREAT overall packages that have good power, good suspension and great handling, with the Z400 probably edging the 400EX out barely in those 3 categories. The 400EX will probably be the more reliable of the machines because of it's simplicity, but that definitely does NOT make the Z400 high-maintanance at all. The air-cooled 400cc engine in the 400EX is more or less, bulletproof. Ask any 400EX owners out there what kinds of engine and tranny problems they have had. Very few if any. The new 400EX has reverse, but not liquid-cooling. The Z400 has always had both. These are probably the best bang-for-the-buck sport quads on the market. There's a huge aftermarket for ALL the machines you've listed, so if you got one of the easier 400s, you could always spice up the power or handling with a mod if you felt it was becoming too docile for you. Sorry I took so long, but it's not an easy topic.

RedGoblin= 2 cents

Old 09-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

Geez RedGoblin, thats one of the best, unbiased answers I've ever seen! If this site had REP POINTS, I'd be throwing some your way! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, my riding would be probably alot of drag racing, and trail riding, and some jumping (i live on a 1000acre ranch, so i like to speed down gravel roads)....but i like top speed good handling and reliability. personally i totoally love the 450r and the yzf out of all....so ur saying that the yzf and 450r probably wouldnt be as reliable as say a 400ex...how much power difference is there between the 3?

Old 09-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to tell us more! It is going to depend heavily on where you intend to ride, and what kind of conditions! You mentioned "top of the line performance", well that varies depending on the riding conditions. What works well in one situation, can be miserable in another. Do add the Z400 to your list!

For example, when I go riding tight trails, I choose the 400EX. It has a motor that will lug down through the slow technical stuff. On a trail like that, a Banshee for example, would be a poor choice.

Out in the open desert, you want high end rev. Here I would pick the Z400 or 450R The Banshee would be a good choice here (except it has lousy suspension), because it has a motor that screams at high rpm.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well as i said i like to speed down the gravel roads, race my friend...i wouldnt be doing that much tight turning and that stuff....more like speed in the open fields, with tall grass....i probably temps from 40-110 degrees F...maybe driving alittle through snow....

Old 09-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the 450's, you are getting state-of-the-art performance and technology, but it comes at a price! These are high revving engines, so things are just going to wear out faster. It's pretty simple. For example, the little CRF250 dirt bike engine does 13,000 rpm. That means that the piston is going up and down 200 TIMES PER SECOND! The 450's are probably going to need a top end at around every 100 hours.

On the other hand, my 400EX probably has a couple of thousand hours on it. Compression is still good, it doesn't smoke, and still hauls a$$, and the motor has never been touched except for routine maintenance.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

But how much performance do i sacrifice???? what would beat a banshee???the 400ex couldnt doo that i dont think....how much does it cost to rebuild a top end???oh and how important is liquid coolant system???

Old 09-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ckassen
Well as i said i like to speed down the gravel roads, race my friend...i wouldnt be doing that much tight turning and that stuff....more like speed in the open fields, with tall grass....i probably temps from 40-110 degrees F...maybe driving alittle through snow....
Until Honda eventually comes out with their own big-bore, I have to say Raptor based on what you said right there. Stay away from '01 models because they had tranny problems in that year. They also respond really well to pipes for some reason, cheap HP gain there. Rejet though. No good gains without it.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

its a YFZ450 bro, yzf is the crotchrockets by yamaha

Quick Reply: Looking for ATV best 1 to get Honda Yamaha???