Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman owners do you miss not having low range

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman owners do you miss not having low range

The 2005 Foreman manual shift model looks very good to me with the new 475cc air cooled engine, dual oil coolers, dual front disc brakes, updated chassis with 6.7" front and rear travel, 4X4/2X4, new Rincon type styling, 4.2 gal fuel tank, 3.0 qt oil sump. I have been comparing it to the Suzuki Vinson 5 speed which has high/low range while the Foreman has only high range with an ultra low 1st gear. Seems to me that with the Foreman you could have a problem with too large a gap between 1st and 2nd and no low range to help out. My question is whether or not the lack of low range is much of a problem with the Foreman. My planned use is rough terrain trail riding, hunting, and light duty farm work.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:30 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rancher has a very low first gear and no low range, and that works just fine. I think Honda's philosophy is to leave the transfer case off, and save that much more weight. A nice touch in a class where machines are already ridiculously heavy.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We don't have a Foreman, but we do have a 350 Rancher 4X4 ES with no low range. I know the 450 has twice the low end grunt the Rancher does and it has never needed low range. I think it actually makes it simpler and easier to ride. We ride mountain trails and 1st has taken our Rancher anywhere anyone else has gone. We mostly use 2,3,and 4th gears. 5th is like an over-drive and 1st is like a "compound" gear in the old truck 4-speeds.

I have ridden a 450 just once, and I didn't see a need for low range. The one thing the 450 doesn’t lack is torque.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've never owned a quad with a low and high gear. I used to drive my *****'s in second or third low while 4 wheeling. --- I can't imagine going any slower than in the Foreman's first gear. While driving down steep declines, I've had the rear wheels skid on the loose dirt, gravel, and rocks. The Foreman really tries to hold it self back. The dirt just doesn't like to cooperate. My stock tires are very worn. I think it would help if I had better tires with better traction.

First and second is geared low on the Foreman. Third is the giddyup gear. I don't miss the low gears. Most people probably don't use the low gears on quads. Maybe from time to time. Does anyone miss all of the gear choices that the Suzuki Quadrunner and King Quad used to come with? Didn't they come with 15 forward gear choices and a locking diff.? I wouldn't know which gear to choose most of the time on a old Suzuki.

The lack of a low gear on the Foreman is not a problem. (for me) People should try out the machines and choose what works for them.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

what 15 gears did the k.q. have? 5 low, 5 high, and 5 auto?
lol how many reverse gears did it have?

Old 09-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The foreman has so much low end grunt, most of the time I dont even use first gear, I just start out in second or third. Ive pulled a few trailers, and quite a few wheelers out of mud holes, and I cant remember ever wanting a lower gear.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with the other posters the foreman has so much grunt in first and 2nd gear that I can not imagine any need for a low range on it.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconman2003
what 15 gears did the k.q. have? 5 low, 5 high, and 5 auto?
lol how many reverse gears did it have?
Pick a gear.

Old 09-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Having 2 ATV's one with and one without I would very much like a hi/lo range on my rancher (or any quad). 1st gear on my rancher is useless unless I'm pulling my trailer up a hill or some heavy type thing. I've even started to shift directly into second when starting off. With my KQ the low range is lower but when shifting the gears are evenly spaced. Speed wise I can cruise at about 30-35 without over revving the engine. Nice if I'm just running through the woods.

Now both of my quads are manual shift, on an auto quad it would probably be different since there is no shifting anyway. On those I'd probably keep it in high range most of the time.

Additional to the KQ info, it only had one reverse gear (just pull it back while in neutral, no fumbling with the brake lever), then there were 3 forward ranges, hi, low and super low. The main reason for super low is you can only lock the diff (yes the KQ has had a front locking diff since 1989 if I recall) while in super low. A simple modification can change that. But driving around with the diff locked isn't fun or safe.

Rob

Old 09-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just read an article on how to make the King Quad's locking diff. work in all forward gears. Well I skimmed through the article.

Don't know if this will work.

Quick Reply: Foreman owners do you miss not having low range